Game Reviews

amj0963
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,544 Posts

Game Reviews

[Post New]by amj0963 on Mar 14, 10 12:52 AM
i love, love, love it. the voice acting is excellent, hints are rechargeable, very interactive game. it has a spooky feel to it, even the music is appropriate it almost makes me feel like i am in a haunted house. the characters so far a good, i am getting ready to start chapter 3 as the chapters aren't long and i really don't know how long the game is as there is no walkthrough yet. i have come across a talking ghost dog, he was too cute.

when you start the game it goes straight into it. to put in your profile you have to click on the menu button and then you are able to put in your profile and from here you can also change the cursor if you want. graphics are clear not junkpile, i have only ran across one hidden object scene so far as there are tasks that you have to perform to do things. like find the key to open the bathroom door.

i am going to go all out and give this one 5 out of 5

eta when you play the game make sure that you click on cabinets and curtains and things like that.

i just found that there are 24 chapters and i am just now starting on chapter 6 so it will be a pretty good length game.

Edited on 03/14/2010 at 3:09:51 AM PST

Mojave_Rain
Shark
Shark
10,693 Posts

Re:Game Reviews

[Post New]by Mojave_Rain on Mar 14, 10 1:03 AM
Dang Amj, I have IHOGs I haven't even played yet because I'm not in the mood for them lately but your review has convinced me to give this one a try.

I do like the look of the graphics from the screen shots, nice old fashioned spookiness.

prchalpn
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,132 Posts

[Post New]by prchalpn on Mar 14, 10 1:07 AM
Thanks Amj for the review .
Dl'ing now. I love spooky games. I hope it one that I can't live without!

Rachieroos
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,039 Posts

[Post New]by Rachieroos on Mar 14, 10 1:19 AM
I love it too, am 35 mins in and just got to Chapter 3 as well. I found it quite hard to find some of the objects (ESPECIALLY those darn scissors!) for the puzzles, and I count myself as a seasoned HOG addict! Puzzles are a bit too easy, though, but I am hoping they will get harder as I progress.

Not sure about whether I will buy yet... am going to finish demo in a bit. I know some of the fishies have beta'd the game in the past - can anyone tell us how many chapters there are so we can work out a length of gameplay please?

Fangs

sunnny
Manatee
Manatee
3,945 Posts

[Post New]by sunnny on Mar 14, 10 1:23 AM
amj, I was going to give this game a pass, but your words,
very interactive game, peaked my interest.
Thank you for your review.

justnorma
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by justnorma on Mar 14, 10 1:29 AM
I agree with all of the above but have to add, this game has me in stitches. It's hilarious! It almost has a "Scooby-Do" feel to it, but British. I finished chapter 4 and I have 10 minutes left. If it's long enough, I'm going to have to buy this one for the laughs alone.

[Post New]by silvershade on Mar 14, 10 1:33 AM
Just finished the demo. Made it partway through chapter five. I have no idea if that is slow or fast but I took my time and did the puzzles. I like the nice mix of hidden objects, tasks, and puzzles. There is a skip option for the puzzles but I like figuring them out so I tend to play them. Graphics are decent for me, although the way the characters bounce around when speaking makes me think they really need to take a quick bathroom break before continuing the story. I like that there are actual voices to the characters. Music's decent, too. Spooky atmosphere, complete with stereotypical full moon and howling wolf.

Over all, I enjoyed the demo. I have a credit that I may have to burn on this one although I would like to know how many chapters there are first. I dislike buying a game based on the demo, only to find out I got through most of the game in that hour.

An aside: The butler's eyes kill me every time he's on the scene, the way they roll around while he talks.

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Mar 14, 10 1:41 AM
Good ol' Wacky Nevosoft! They always produce very stylized games with goofy storylines and some unbelievably odd dialog and characters, but ya gotta love 'em!

As games go this is lots of silly fun. Good interactive puzzles, a "clicky-pants" delight as you pretty much *have* to click on everything to find stuff hidden behind objects, in cupboards and what-not (a favorite of mine). Nice clean graphics for the most part. I've not noticed an issue with too dark. Hints are good, quickly recharging and will lead you whether stuck on adventure puzzle moments of finding that pesky object. Some movement between rooms adds interest. Sound is clear, voice acting decent.

I am a bit concerned on length as beginning Chapter 7 and almost out of demo time. Wish there was a walk-thru to check against. The relatively small file size, given lots of animation and audible dialog, would generally indicate it will be short. Another down-side to Nevosoft games is if you stop mind Chapter it will start you over at the beginning of that chapter. Also I've never known a Nevosoft game that wasn't a *little* glitchy, but so far so good.

...So do I buy... Ah, what the heck, haven't been buying much this month and I'm in IHOG withdrawal. A gentle Poodlebear Approved given it may be very short. Will report back later.

cche
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
401 Posts

[Post New]by cche on Mar 14, 10 3:04 AM
Agree with Poodlebear on all her points. Would guess (based on my reaching mid-chapter 6 in an hour and the story progress) that there are 10 to 12 chapters. ==> 2 to 2.5 hours of play.

Story line is quite funny, and game play is click fest, but hints are unlimited with about a 30 second recovery rate.

Music is not irritating.

Nice light tongue-in-cheek iHOG worth $6.99 unless you are a cheapskate like me. I can wait to see if it goes on sale.

5.5 on my scale of 10, unless someone discovers there are lots more chapters. would be 6.5 and a likely buy if it had 20 chapters or more.

f1racing
Starfish
Starfish
58 Posts

[Post New]by f1racing on Mar 14, 10 3:17 AM
The game bar actually shows that there are 24 chapters. If you finish, let's say, six an hour, it should take around 4 hours to complete it.

Sold for me!!!

[Post New]by ChesterPepper79 on Mar 14, 10 3:34 AM
Well, I'm definitely in the minority here because I only liked (didn't love) this game but I'm glad so many others did.

I thought the Ghost Dog was great and the story was pretty intriguing. Honestly, I was a bit annoyed with having to search several rooms at once and moving paintings/cupboards/drapes in order to find things that were on the list BUT it's probably just because I'm over-tired ... any other day and I would have really enjoyed that aspect.

The game length looks really great but I'm worried about replay value. It seems that in most of the scenes, since you're only looking for specific items that would help you proceed, the game's never going to change.

mountfalcon
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by mountfalcon on Mar 14, 10 3:54 AM
I'm quite surprised at the rave reviews - the graphics are muddy, the plot hackneyed and the premise unoriginal - it looks and feels a mess, just something fished out of the reject bin at the end of a redundant production line. If you like it - fair enough, but I can see nothing here worth spending money on.

mintjulelip
Minnow
Minnow
232 Posts

[Post New]by mintjulelip on Mar 14, 10 3:57 AM
Evidently, the game was originally released in Russian. I found a Russian review of the game that showed 20+ chapters. The last chapter shown was Chap. 20. Whether or not the English version has 20+ chaps, I do not know, but I think it must have to finish the story. I got through Chap. 6 on the demo. If the game does have that many chapters, that means at least 3+ hrs of play time. Far above your average HOG. Although the theme is rather macabre, it is NOT a "spooky" game. It kind of has that "Tim Burton" feel; whacky, fun, interesting story, & lots of crazy characters. I laughed, giggled, & thoroughly enjoyed the demo. The hour just FLEW by. There's text for convos as well as voice-overs. The voice acting is very well done. If you aren't interested, click through. Hints are unlimited on a generous timer.

The graphics are excellent. I had no issues with DL, game play, or choppiness. If you had muddy graphics, it's probably your vid card. The story unfolds in a logical but fast -paced manor so you are pulled into the storyline immediately. The music fits the story & is whimsical at times. The mini-games are not difficult but challenging enough to keep your interest.

This game is NOT a typical HOG. It's more like an easier version of a LF game like Nancy Drew, except it gives you a list of what you need to find in order to accomplish your task. The list only shows 4 items at a time & as you find them, they drop off to be replaced by new items. You have to click on EVERYTHING as you never know what might come in handy. Sequences are not difficult to figure out are well thought out & definitely keeps your interest. Some items you click are interactive such as opening cupboards or drapes. Items are period correct and you never get that junky "yard sale" feel. You have to click on everything as items move to reveal hidden objects behind them. Some of the interactive activities are quite amusing! I'd love to go into more detail but don't want to spoil the surprise! The game will automatically save your progress each time you finish a chapter. Since I did not stop in the middle, be careful of stopping midway; not sure it will save.

This is a game I'd actually pay CE price for. It's far different than most games or HOGS. DEFINITELY worth it to buy! Play the game as it was intended; fun & whimsical. It's a 9.8 out of 10 in my book and I love more difficult games. KUDOS

Edited on 03/14/2010 at 4:03:58 AM PST

[Post New]by EcclesCakes on Mar 14, 10 4:06 AM
I absolutely agree with all the positive comments, particularly those of MintJuleiip. This is an incredible game for $6.99 ("free" credit in my case). Character depections and movements are amazing. The hero is a Keanau Reeves look-a-like. Voice acting is spot on, and the script is fun. I'd been afraid of length, until discovering there are 24 chapters! That likely means 5 hours for me. I'd been torn yesterday between "All About Masks" and "Doors Of THe Mind," and am now very glad I waited to use the credit. This is a no-brainer buy for me.

Eccles Cakes

Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

[Post New]by Nilosh on Mar 14, 10 4:14 AM
Thank you all for the early reviews. I too have punch card credit to use and have been holding off this month untill something comes along. As always Poodlebear and Mintjulelip have convinced me to go forth and venture. Thank you ; Its Sunday morning here and I am now downloading. Have a great week to all. Cheers

bootsie21
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,188 Posts

[Post New]by bootsie21 on Mar 14, 10 4:15 AM
Have to agree, love it! graphics are excellent. I am using one of my credits to buy this.

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Mar 14, 10 4:25 AM
Well, today I am with the majority!

All my impressions are already posted, except one: as in Agatha Christies' novels - did the butler do it?

Happy gaming!

jinocchio49
Flounder
Flounder
2,255 Posts

[Post New]by jinocchio49 on Mar 14, 10 4:28 AM
This game is hilarious! I love all of Nevosoft's games. I've been hooked on them since I played Mushroom age. I like having to move curtains, open cabinet doors, fix things and listen to the dialogue. It's quirky and keeps the humor going, I find it a lot of fun. It's a definite buy for me!

jin

sunnny
Manatee
Manatee
3,945 Posts

[Post New]by sunnny on Mar 14, 10 4:33 AM
This game gets 4.5 out of 5
Funny
Interactive
Graphics.. just ok
Voiceovers very good

Bought

[Post New]by HOGaddiction on Mar 14, 10 4:34 AM
Wow my "'Buffy" bone is tingling

At chapter 6
I must know are we going to get a love fest between the daughter and Mr British Real Estate

A must buy for me after a bit of a drought on HOGs

-Good characters, plot driven, fantastic if you're a "click-a-holic" as everything needs to be clicked on in case it moves
-Interesting puzzles so far no repeats - Tile rotating,replace the gears,match the cards,match the cards (mahjong style),link the pipes
-24 Chapters (4 hours or more of work)
- Don't know about skips as I couldn't bear to miss a thing

-I agree with EcclesCakes.......A british Keanu

Consider it sold, Just my style a dark spooky comedy

Go to: