bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

AltSHIFT

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Mar 16, 10 12:05 AM
When an evil professor kidnaps someone you care about, you’re tossed into a wacky world of shifting perspectives and labyrinthine lanes that literally turn your world upside down! Get ready for some high-energy hijinx because this Action/Arcade game is like none other! Outsmart that pesky professor and make it passed his menacing maze in Alt Shift!

kahlan1227
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

Re:AltSHIFT

[Post New]by kahlan1227 on Mar 18, 10 8:26 PM
I just wanted to let you know that the word "passed" in the game description is wrong. It should be "past." Just wanted to make sure you knew that this error looks REALLY bad.

Timbuctu
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

[Post New]by Timbuctu on Mar 22, 10 4:32 AM
Grammatically, it is still past. You go past a house; a car passed another car. You go past a doorway; you passed over the plate. Regardless of whether you think the word past only refers to time, you are dead wrong, and the fact that you even argued against someone correcting the situation without reading a dictionary or thesaurus is quite infuriating.

kiminee
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by kiminee on Mar 26, 10 5:13 AM
Jeezum, ease up already. Way to tense to be on a gaming site; holy mackeral.

Put this into your google search: "make it passed" "make it past"
You'll find thousands of webpages that contain both exact phrases used by single writers on the very same page as each other; in practical application, the usage is interchangeable. Obviously the grammer's not so black and white as all that.

And go easy on the folks that put so much time and effort into giving us all a lot of fun here! That's what's offensive in this thread, and definitely not the moderator sticking to her point of view!

Edited on 03/26/2010 at 5:14:34 AM PST

bunnyeyes
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by bunnyeyes on Apr 15, 10 10:20 AM
I'm not a grammatical wizard but I have done some graduate work that required a lot of writing so I hope I can help here.

Passed/past is one of those grammatical issues that sometimes relies on how it sounds. At least that's the way I look at it because there IS an element of time involved and working with it is usually a matter of the words used around it. For instance: she passed by, she went past, you will pass, you passed, if you went past. when you pass, if you passed, when you go past, as you go pass, as you make it past, I just went past, I just passed, I am passing, etc.

As for the game description in question, I agree that 'past' is what ought to be used because it's talking about an action that will be taken. The description's author says the gamer will go 'past', because if the game hasn't played yet, the gamer hasn't 'passed' yet. If that doesn't make sense, then consider if it sounds better.

herrbach
Guppy
Guppy
162 Posts

[Post New]by herrbach on Nov 9, 12 2:14 PM
It only matters in print, if you read it yourself. But if someone read to me the phrase
"...and make it passed his menacing gaze..." I wouldn't know the difference whether it was "passed" or "past."
Also, since this interesting little foray into English usage and abusage is focusing on fine points, why didn't anybody comment that "mackeral" is misspelled. It should be "mackerel."
I think anything concerning linguistics & its wide & various subject matter is a game anyway. There's a fair amount of ambiguity involved, particularly in the English language, so I don't think it's out of place on a game site.

I leave you with a quote from William S. Burroughs: "Language is a virus from outer space."

Go to: