bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Comments and Reviews for The Palace Builder

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Mar 16, 10 2:52 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of The Palace Builder? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Hope to hear from you!

bfgFlounder

Saturn1985
Minnow
Minnow
286 Posts

Re:Comments and Reviews for The Palace Builder

[Post New]by Saturn1985 on Mar 16, 10 4:01 AM
I really love this game.

You play the architect of various aristocrats during the 18th century, and it's your task to build their chateaus, stables, guest houses, statues, gardens, gazebos or fountains. There are more buildings later on.

In contrast to other building simulations there are four types of workers and four different resources. Moreover, those buildings and structures take more than just one step to be built, larger chateaus, take even more than four or five steps. Each of those steps requires different workers or resources, so you really have to plan ahead when building numerous structures at the same time.

The graphics could have been better. Fortunately, the scenes are quite lively because of your workers and the noble folks walking and playing all over their growing estates. But the game looks a bit colourless and some of the animations lokk a bit...dated, to say it politely.

The storyline is simply wonderful, with some twists you would not expect. It's entertaining so I can only recommend to follow it.

The game is timed, and until now I haven't found a relaxed mode, but the timer seems to be very generous, so that the game still feels quite relaxed Each building also offers some appeal points, and for reaching a certain amount of appeal points in each level you can earn a seal of quality. For those seals you can improve your own dream chateau, which does not affect the gamplay in any way, but is nice to look at.

If you liked Wonderburg or Ancient Rome, this is exactly your game, especially because it makes everything right which Ancient Rome lacked.
of five stars.

Cjb58
Lobster
Lobster
85 Posts

[Post New]by Cjb58 on Mar 16, 10 5:43 AM
How do you get the 4th hire if all the upgrades are gray. I hired 3 but after that I cannot get the 4th. Any help would be appreciaated.

GoveGirl
Herring
Herring
309 Posts

[Post New]by GoveGirl on Mar 16, 10 5:49 AM
Thanks for the detailed review Saturn. I agree with all you wrote, especially about the graphics in the gameplay area.

This game could be wonderful if you could make an attractive looking estate- it all seems to end up dull and plain looking- at least mine do.

I like everything else about the game.

[Post New]by CDCollector on Mar 16, 10 5:52 AM
I beta tested this game and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm not a fan of time management games. That said, there are a couple I enjoy. I also beta tested Empire Builder: Ancient Egypt and subsequently bought it. Palace Builder gives you a little more leeway on where to build different things and what to build within certain categories, and there's a story to go with it, which is nice. I've been waiting for this game to come out since I beta tested it. I would like to see them come out with an Empire Builder: Ancient Greece. They have Egypt, Rome, why not Greece? There's certainly a wealth of material there. As for Palace Builder, I think anyone who enjoys time management games, or even those that aren't big fans, will enjoy this game. It certainly holds your attention and keeps you busy. I'm not a big fan of timed games; I like playing at my leisure, but the timer is generous. This game is a definite buy for me. I hope everyone enjoys it as much as I did.Happy gaming!

adolia
Minnow
Minnow
210 Posts

[Post New]by adolia on Mar 16, 10 8:17 AM
finally something where you can use a little creativity and imagination. Nothing is worse than a building game that is really a puzzle in disguise!

I agree with all the previous reviews and really recommend this game. you can really make it look nice if you plan ahead and do not just throw things down anywhere.

DonnyDJ
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
475 Posts

[Post New]by DonnyDJ on Mar 16, 10 8:56 AM
Great game..purchased before work..

Saturn 85- did you get my message?

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Mar 16, 10 11:56 AM
Nice tm game, but I have already bought so many building games. Its on my maybe list for later.

dashwood95
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by dashwood95 on Mar 16, 10 12:14 PM
I guess I'm the first dissenter. I didn't care for it and uninstalled it within 10 minutes. I don't think it was a bad game per se, but I found it slow and dull.

Sante001
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by Sante001 on Mar 16, 10 1:55 PM
I have not been in "Fishville" for awhile so I just thought I would pop in. I like TM games and believe this is a good game. I little different from others since you have several task to perform -- select the building, select the right human resource, and get the materials needed. There seemed to be only a time mode, but you have plenty of time to complete the task. I kind of like the storyline (a young girl pretending to be a boy apprentice). At least we're not dealing with a love story. The game seems to be pretty straight-forward, and thus, might be boring to some. I played 30 minutes and will return to play the remaining 30 before deciding. If the game does not become more challenging, I might have to pass on buying. However, those liking less complicated TM might enjoy this one.

Meisie84
Guppy
Guppy
134 Posts

[Post New]by Meisie84 on Mar 16, 10 2:33 PM
I just finished the trial....ack! did it have to end just then?!? but a definate top-of-the-lister for me...just nned to catch up with some of the other games I recently bought, then I will 'activate' this one. More my kind of speed, timed to make you 'get on with it' but not a mad scramble. Most enjoyable thanks BF!

No technical glitches here...and Sante001...really? no love story? you need to play some more...

gemangus
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by gemangus on Mar 16, 10 3:07 PM
any comments on the length of this one?

mizzmm
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
435 Posts

[Post New]by mizzmm on Mar 16, 10 3:13 PM
i did the beta and did not like it, but was
hopeful that when the game was released
it would get better. imo, it's not. i still have
28 minutes left of my trial and have already
received 10 out of the 25 medals. i'm already
bored with the game.

Simmy10
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by Simmy10 on Mar 16, 10 5:20 PM
The Palace Builder seems like a funny game. I don't like building games very much, so this is off my games list.

rumtmtiger
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by rumtmtiger on Mar 16, 10 5:30 PM
I played the game for about 30 minutes. Just boring. I keep on looking for a great building game like the "Ceasar" series. Remember them? You could build anything anywhere! And it lasted for weeks! I have not been able to find anything like that in years. Anyone know of any game like that?

Imansaray
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by Imansaray on Mar 17, 10 3:51 AM
This game is completely BORING! One of the anting things is that its some times hard to place people on the buldings to do their job. BF has better time management games than this. I like Ancient Rome better than this game.

Edited on 03/17/2010 at 3:51:55 AM PST

RainbowElf
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

[Post New]by RainbowElf on Mar 17, 10 7:54 AM
This game seems a bit of a marmite game going on the posts that are here so far.

Personally though I really like it. A lot of games that are like this take far too many steps in completing things and it takes ages to learn everything, however this one is nice and simple.

This one is on my wishlist but there are others that I want more, so it will have to wait.

Nice storyline too, I was really unsure of this game at first because building games are a bit hit or miss for me, but this one was really enjoyable.

cry5tal
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by cry5tal on Mar 17, 10 2:10 PM
dashwood95 wrote:I guess I'm the first dissenter. I didn't care for it and uninstalled it within 10 minutes. I don't think it was a bad game per se, but I found it slow and dull.

I'd have to agree with you. I like the storyline (there's that twist you find out ... right at the beginning, which is a little disappointing). The gameplay isn't that great except for what a few fishies said about how you have to plan ahead of time and use your resources wisely.

I didn't love it, but it's a decent game, even though I didn't have the patience to play more than 10 minutes of it.

[Post New]by DoodleGamer on Mar 17, 10 10:51 PM
I've downloaded the demo for this and I'm hoping it gets better. I find the game boring, not because of the many steps, not because it's straight forward but because it's very repetitive. I'll keep going until my time runs out and think about it.

The 'surprise' near the beginning came as no surprise to me.

[Post New]by nobnop on Mar 18, 10 3:21 PM
rumtmtiger wrote:I played the game for about 30 minutes. Just boring. I keep on looking for a great building game like the "Ceasar" series. Remember them? You could build anything anywhere! And it lasted for weeks! I have not been able to find anything like that in years. Anyone know of any game like that?

Pharaoh, it's expansion Cleopatra and Zeus are very similar to Caesar. All of them old but awesome games.

Go to: