bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Comments and Reviews for AltSHIFT

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Mar 16, 10 2:56 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of AltSHIFT ? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Hope to hear from you!

bfgFlounder

Edited on 03/18/2010 at 2:06:44 AM PST

JessF
Clownfish
Clownfish
773 Posts

Re:Comments and Reviews for AltSHIFT

[Post New]by JessF on Mar 16, 10 3:10 AM
What a strange little game. Deliberately retro. Looks and feels like something I might have played on a PC 20 years ago.

I dislike using the keyboard to get around and found the controls very sluggish.

On the plus side, you may pick a girl or boy silhouette.

Some folks may like it but it is not for me. I will be interested to pop in later and see what other people have to say.

prchalpn
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,132 Posts

[Post New]by prchalpn on Mar 16, 10 3:14 AM
Sorry, I found this game boring. Remember playing these online and didn't care for it.

misty5
Herring
Herring
337 Posts

[Post New]by misty5 on Mar 16, 10 4:52 AM
I must have missed the tutorial, because I have no idea what to do when I need a block and it's up against a wall so that I can't push it to the correct spot. Also, I don't see how the upside-down mode is any help -- upside down or right-side up, I can't get to the exit. I guess the best way to solve this puzzle is to press "uninstall".

Zelda2
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by Zelda2 on Mar 16, 10 8:20 AM
I agree Not for me. Plus I would like to see the one I stopped on solved.

essgee52
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

[Post New]by essgee52 on Mar 16, 10 8:55 AM
I got this on another site and am happy to see it here in hopes that someone will post solutions to the levels I have been unable to solve! It's a puzzle game, good brain exercise in my opinion, as you have to get your person to the exit through challenging levels that require you to shift perspective, flip upside down, and use boxes to help you get where you need to go. BTW, Misty, you use space+right or left arrow to pull the box toward you. There are minimal instructions, but they are right there on the screen during the level. Very unique and for those who love puzzles, IMO. from me!

[Post New]by nikkislayer on Mar 16, 10 9:20 AM
I found game quite boring. But I know a simular game that is more fun to play and it is called Professor Fizzwizzle.

Regards Nikki

EldonA
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by EldonA on Mar 16, 10 9:41 AM
Games do not have to have gorgeous graphics to be good. Remember "It's the game play, stupid"!!! If you like to think, puzzle and try different things the game is GREAT. Think "out of the box" ( pun intended).
If you want fast action, it is not for you.

goldendog08
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

[Post New]by goldendog08 on Mar 16, 10 11:33 AM
This game is sorta like the Chip's Challenge packaged with Windows years ago (no longer available I think) the Fizzwizzle games available here, and Rocknor's Bad Day and Rocknor's Doughnut Factory games. This one seems to take retro a little too far with the black & white graphics

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Mar 16, 10 1:10 PM
I played the demo elsewhere and really liked it! But it isn't playing correctly here. I can't get the scene to flip. It will sometimes flip, but not always, and not like it is supposed to. If you haven't played it elsewhere, and this is a glitch, I can see why you are frustrated.

[Post New]by supavillain on Mar 16, 10 2:41 PM
I must be really thick - all I can do on the first screen is flip up and down! What am I doing wrong?

EldonA
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by EldonA on Mar 16, 10 3:09 PM
Where ever you are standing press the Down Arrow key and the room flips over and you switch from standing on the white to standing on the black. I assume this is what the previous comment meant by "flipping the room". You must do this (usually several times in different locations) to solve each room.

tv9725
Lobster
Lobster
85 Posts

[Post New]by tv9725 on Mar 16, 10 3:59 PM
ive played shift before on other sites its a java game
if you dont like that you wont like this
i dont know if its meant to be a retro game as everyone seems to call it just cause its black and white
the black and white are how you tell whether you are up or down lol
with the arrow keys make sit easier though so not as tough as shift
its a great puzzle brain teaser game glad bigfish has it so i can download it

would like to know how many levels there are though?

PamNor58
Lobster
Lobster
95 Posts

[Post New]by PamNor58 on Mar 17, 10 1:05 AM
I am so glad to see this game finally come to BFG! I really like the kind of game that makes you think in a way that is different from how you normally think. I guess I am in the minority, But i like it.

[Post New]by supavillain on Mar 17, 10 3:40 AM
I'm still no nearer getting off the first screen! I can flip from black to white and back again but it seems to make no difference at all - I've tried moving around the screen and flipping but I stay stuck on the same screen. What am I doing wrong?

tv9725
Lobster
Lobster
85 Posts

[Post New]by tv9725 on Mar 17, 10 8:51 AM
supavillain, do you mean the very first screen, the intro level? or the first time you have to flip at level 1-6?
intro you dont flip. just go over to the exit with the arrow keys.
you dont need to flip till you get to level 1-6.
on that level you go to the right till you drop. hit the down arrow to flip, go over to the left. till you drop. hit the down arrow again to flip. push the box over till it drops. then you drop and push it till it is even with black column, then down arrow to flip again and drop down the space you made with the box. then flip one more time and your at the exit.

hope that helps.

[Post New]by supavillain on Mar 17, 10 12:14 PM
Intro level - when I go to the exit what do I do next? If I press down then I flip rather than use the exit. I'm getting frustrated now!

tv9725
Lobster
Lobster
85 Posts

[Post New]by tv9725 on Mar 18, 10 7:46 PM
you shouldnt have to do anything when you get to the exit and stand in front of the door it should open automatically
if it isnt then your havin a problem with the game working correctly

nantyglyn
Salmon
Salmon
2,939 Posts

[Post New]by nantyglyn on Mar 18, 10 10:37 PM
I don't get it - I can't get past level 1-4 where you fall into the hole. How to get out? In my younger years I finished all of Chip's Challenge, but I'm stuck here. I just don't get it.

tv9725
Lobster
Lobster
85 Posts

[Post New]by tv9725 on Mar 20, 10 11:37 AM
nantyglyn,
not sure if you figured this out yet. You dont go in the hole. You jump over the hole, jump before the edge so you dont fall down. then you go over get the key stay on that ledge and jump over to the exit

Go to: