Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Case Files ®: 13th Skull ™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Miniatures1 on Aug 20, 11 5:57 AM
in my opinion worst in the series I am trying it again as I have wasted $14.00 for it my score live actors-C grafics=C ease in playing without using walkthrough=F way two many hidden object scenes=F story-D wish I could get my money back I do not think I will finish this second time around TO BORING!!!

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Case Files ®: 13th Skull ™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Miniatures1 on Aug 21, 11 4:21 AM
as I posted before I am atempting to do this game again so my $14.00 is not a total waste I do not think I will make it any further now I am finding the hidden object scenes way to clutered and the puzzles imposable to solve worst game I have ever attempted to play!!

Audiohawk
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by Audiohawk on Aug 21, 11 10:40 PM
Interactive video was the next logical step after Dire Grove, so I'm glad you went there. It's a particular challenge to make those monologues feel natural, though. You'd think the actors should look right at the camera (thereby making eye contact with the player), but that doesn't work very well in practice. Most ordinary conversations don't involve that much eye contact, and most actors have a really tough time interacting with a camera as though it's a person. For example, it would be better if Mary were busy cleaning most of the time she's talking, but then stops and looks directly at the player when she's delivering a particularly juicy bit of gossip about the family or the house. I'd also rather have the clips prompted by a scripted question from the detective instead of the one-word headers. Then it would feel like more of a conversation.

All the usual stuff (sound, visuals, music) were up to the high standards you've established with the previous games in the series. I was pleased with the bayou rendition of the MCF theme song.

Keep pushing the envelope - I'm sure the next one will be even better!

TnTexas
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by TnTexas on Sep 3, 11 7:37 PM
Overall Impression: an iHOG adventure blend worth . I wanted to give it four, but I just couldn't. There were just too many negatives to warrant it.

Pros:
-- well-drawn graphics that were consistent with the dreary, almost oppressive atmosphere of the game
-- interaction with live actors added an interesting dimension to the story
-- an unlimited hint system that refilled quickly and (for the most part) skippable puzzles
-- a cohesive, fairly logical story that was developed through journal entries, materials you found in the scenes and unskippable dialogues with the characters. Overall the storyline held together pretty well - at least until you were closing in on the end. And, really, the only reason it started to fall apart then was because of the opening scene. Had that not been what it was, I wouldn't have had a problem with the storyline at all.

Cons:
-- the behavior of the live actors was distracting at times
-- some of the scenes and activities were downright disgusting and nauseating. I'm surprised the man didn't keel over dead from that gumbo.
-- only one mode of play - a disappointment for many since there was a lot of handholding in it
-- the objective box was always visible - a wonderful help when you were stuck; not so wonderful when you would rather figure things out for yourself
-- a couple of the puzzles/challenges weren't skippable and the hints weren't helpful
-- junkpile, slightly grainy HOG scenes
-- The story may have been interesting, but the gameplay itself really wasn't. Rather than working towards figuring things out on your own like you did in previous MCF games, this time you spent your time doing things in order to get information out of people. The end result may have been the same (a solved mystery), but the process wasn't nearly as satisfying this time around.

Bonus Material:
-- The bonus game picked up right after the regular game ended. Some might call it a "chopped-off ending" rather than a truly extra one, but I think the regular ending stands fine on it's own. It lasted somewhere between 45 minutes and an hour for me. Loved it's ending!

Will Probably Appeal to: diehard MCF fans and those who appreciate different approaches to the iHOG genre

Will Probably Not Appeal to: those with weak stomachs or those who prefer to figure things out for themselves

Edited on 09/03/2011 at 7:40:59 PM PST

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Sep 4, 11 2:18 PM

I'm not a "diehard MCF fan" - although I am an admirer of Dire Grove - but I just don't understand why there are so many negative comments about this game.

I just bought this CE in the recent CE sale. I didn't buy any versions of this game earlier because I was so put off by all the negative comments and also the game environment was really dreary based on the pictures, videos and reviews.

Well, the game environment is more than dreary. Its grimy, filthy and depicts the "locals" in the South as quite ignorant, dirty and superstitious. And Northerners are depicted as greedy interlopers. I can see where all that "atmosphere" may put others off the game.

I actually have no problem with all that and I'm about halfway through it - enjoying it very much.

Edited on 09/04/2011 at 2:32:37 PM PST

CWPW
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
2 Posts

[Post New]by CWPW on Sep 5, 11 4:03 AM
Poutoule wrote:I was so disappointed that I looked at all my MCF games, apart from Huntsville and this one I love them all (especially Dire Grove, Madame Fate and RTR), so is there something wrong with me that makes me dislike this one ? You are all so enthusiastic that I would love to join in......... Finished the demo, but it's still a big no as previously said.

I totally agree with all the dislikes for the 13th Skull. I can play RTR and Dire Grove over and over, but it was all I could do to get throught this game one time. I even purchased the CE, waste of time and money. Please go back to story lines and graphics like RTR.

CWPW
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
2 Posts

[Post New]by CWPW on Sep 5, 11 4:07 AM
justmebd wrote:Not my favorite of the series. Some of the puzzles went beyond difficult into the realm of "tedious."

It wasn't that I couldn't figure out how to solve them, I just really didn't feel like spending the time. They just seemed to be there to chew up time rather than provide a real challenge.

Too much running around, too many side treks and too much need to consult the strategy guide if you can't sit down and play the game in chunks.

Hoping for something closer to Ravenhearst 2 on the next one.

I also agree........

vault07
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by vault07 on Sep 10, 11 10:55 AM
I just thought I would stop by to say I loved this game!!!! Great job, MCF, again! You're the best!

mrshogget
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

MCF with real people! LOVE it!

[Post New]by mrshogget on Sep 21, 11 5:52 AM
islandgirl88 wrote: Scenes with real movies, speak to real people. I love this! It's amazing!

At the risk of repeating myself, this is by far and away my favorite game. I am a hopeless sucker for HOGs and beautiful art, not to mention ambiance, witty dialogue and pretty good acting (except for Marcus.) I find this game to be more cinematic than the others I've played - Ravenhurst, RTR and Dire Grove which I thought were magnificent. The puzzles didn't disappoint, although I'm not the sharpest knife ion the drawer when it comes to that kind of thing. I ADORED the map/cannons puzzles. There is also a subtle vein of humor which shows that this game doesn't pretend to be the the apocalypse. I guess I keep searching for the RIVEN experience and this immersive game brings me closer.

PLEASE make more ambience-laden, beautifully designed and well-acted games that give you a world in which you can lose yourself. Any chance BF could license Riven and produce it?

Spoiler coming....

I also loved the end where the Lees are looking down at you and then start bickering about ghosts. Nothing like like a touch of irony to wrap things up..

[Post New]by bratfrog18 on Sep 21, 11 2:52 PM
So when, or IS there already, a forum for ponderings and speculations for the next MCF game due in Nov.? I am a loyal MCF fan, however 13th Skull was quite a disappointment.

bfgHondo
Manatee
Manatee
3,712 Posts

[Post New]by bfgHondo on Sep 22, 11 10:11 AM
Hi bratfrog18,

I've seen a few threads like this floating around the pond, but here's a link to the one that seems to have the most activity:

Mystery Case Files 2011

Hope this helps!

-bfgHondo

evealine
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

cany get in the ship captains door with the name elibeth

[Post New]by evealine on Nov 3, 11 6:28 AM
julieinontario wrote:
Poutoule wrote:I was so disappointed that I looked at all my MCF games, apart from Huntsville and this one I love them all (especially Dire Grove, Madame Fate and RTR), so is there something wrong with me that makes me dislike this one ? You are all so enthusiastic that I would love to join in......... Finished the demo, but it's still a big no as previously said.

After trying the demo I have to agree with you. I was so excited about this game and couldn't wait for today to get here to be yet again lost in another MCF game. I was already let down that it wasn't going to be a RTR follow up but still thought...well it's MCF so it HAS to be good right?!?!

It's a definite no buy for me, perhaps at a DD but I'm not even interested to buy the SE.

If I wanted to watch a movie/actors, I would have bought or rented a movie. Sorry BFG no disrepect intended but you goofed on this one IMO!

BadWhippet
Lobster
Lobster
84 Posts

[Post New]by BadWhippet on Nov 18, 11 4:59 AM
Well, I'm a die-hard MCF fan. Dire Grove was a mixed bag for me: fantastic storyline and the videos creating an almost "Blair Witch" atmosphere, but oh-so-let-down by weak and infrequent puzzles. It felt like a poshly-dressed pure Hidden Object game after the epic RTR title.

I bought the Collector's Edition of 13th Skull and am delighted to find that the game has returned to the champion puzzle format of RTR with less emphasis on zillions of Hidden Object scenes - YAY! The storyline is weaker (and so are the cut scenes) but the gameplay more than makes up for that. And this time the CE lives up to its name with properly integrated extra gameplay. Overall, a fantastic buy.

[Post New]by HotGamer1255 on Nov 19, 11 10:21 PM
I have Played many games on BF. I think this was the hardest game ever.. All goes well to the last. Trying to collect all the skulls that was very hard, Trying to find where the coins were,, I do not know who thought that up... and placeing all the skulls in the right order... Forgot about it ...... I was not happy with the game because I can not finish it I give it One star for graphics.......

lorelei25
Squid
Squid
77 Posts

[Post New]by lorelei25 on Dec 14, 11 8:41 PM
I have been with MCF Games since Huntsville, and just recently finished playing both 13th Skull CE & Escape to Ravenhearst CE. I've liked the direction these games have been going since Prime Suspect & Ravenhearst 1.

Due to computer issues, I was a latecomer to 13th Skull. But overall- 13th Skull is fast becoming my favorite of the set. The Re-play on it for the achievements & to find all the various skull cards, and what they hide, as well as the 'Bonus Game' at the end... was well worth the effort. To the point I didn't mind starting another profile to be able to play it all over again from scratch. Of all the MCF Games, this one is the one I'd be most likely to buy the CE for friends who haven't been introduced to these types of games yet.

I can see where some reviewers thought the game was a tad too direct in moving the player from point A to B in the game; but as one of my chief complaints in EscapeTR was it was too vague in this regard- I'm guessing this is one of those things to chalk up to different folks and styles of game play. I think Dire Grove probably hit the happiest medium on this point (not too much hand holding, not too little- and a strong integrated strategy guide in case you got absolutely lost, that also included hints on the extra content like the morphing objects).

In 13th Skull- I found the mix of: the number, and variety of puzzles; HOS; and getting objects needed later for other clues - to be absolutely spot on!!
The varying degree of difficulty of the puzzles was also a nice touch, and again- a good blend of logic and other types of puzzles. I also think this was a vast improvement over Dire Grove. I thought DG was a tad thin in both HOS and puzzles. I also found most of the integrated live action characters in 13 Skulls very entertaining. Was also thrilled to see they brought back the different 'voices' for the running game commentary- a feature introduced in Dire Grove.

I give this game of 5 stars.
I'm glad I bought the CE, and I would buy it again for a friend.

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Jan 2, 12 8:03 AM
Review after finishing the game:

The Good:

+ graphics
+ very good integration of real people into the game...
+ ...who are handing out items to you
+ achievements
+ twists and turns

The Neutral:

o some achievements "hidden" and some unnerving (metal detector!)

The Bad:

- characters' actions are not logical (why don't they help me?)
- riddles towards the end (roman numerals!) not explained at all
- am I a Detective who has authority over people or am I a bellboy / cook / butler / whatever???

Bonus Content:

Very good length, seamlessly integrated at the end of the storyline. Rest of the boni nothing to write home about.

Bottom Line:

Not the great game that everybody was expecting, but not bad. Great graphics, lots to do.

[Post New]by swatki on Jan 2, 12 10:05 AM
I found this a hard game at times, and had to use the guide now and then, but overall a really absorbing and enjoyable game.
My only gripe was having to go through the intro, with Dad reading a bedtime story,
everytime I logged back into the game.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Jan 5, 12 7:27 AM
This is an incredible good game with a cheesy story line, beside that the game is one of the best in BF.

[Post New]by mlcorsaro on Jan 9, 12 1:53 AM
I enjoyed this game very much. I would have preferred to have the option of turning off the hints, or rather, directions, telling me what to do and when. For instance: Go to the mansion and talk to Mary Lee about her belief in voodoo. If I could have turned these off, it would have made the game more challenging for me. I love adventure games and have played all the games in the MYST series without help. I love working things out on my own so I would love to always have that option of shutting off all hints.

Also, I would prefer a more lighthearted game like when MCF first came out. There was a tongue-in-cheek attitude about the game and the characters. Now it seems as if every game that comes out is gloom and doom, demons and ghosts, horror and evil. You know, there is more than enough of that going on in the real world. I play games to take a break from all of that. Any chance of getting some comedy in these games? I mean, besides Cooter farting...which was hilarious! He was my favorite character.

Now, with all that said, what does "SINK THE PLUNGE" mean?

Thank you for another great game and the opportunity to comment on it.

Big Fish crew...YOU ROCK!!!

lorelei25
Squid
Squid
77 Posts

[Post New]by lorelei25 on Jan 14, 12 6:55 PM
mlcorsaro wrote:...
Now, with all that said, what does "SINK THE PLUNGE" mean?

Thank you for another great game and the opportunity to comment on it.

Big Fish crew...YOU ROCK!!!

SPOILER ALERT:

Its a hint on where to find one of the Gold Skulls;
when you have the plunger, go to the kitchen sink in the house and plunge it
Hope this helps!

Go to: