Cordia
Flounder
Flounder
2,009 Posts

Similar hidden object games?

[Post New]by Cordia on Mar 17, 10 5:56 PM
I am not usually a fan of hidden object games, but I love the ones in this game. There are several reasons I can identify: They are lovely scenes that are not full of strange objects intended to misdirect. The objects in this game are actually broken into smaller pieces and are used within the puzzle to uncover more items. There is a clear link between the images and what I'm looking for and why. (I just played a hidden object game where I had to find celery and Alaska. This has nothing to do with a ghost story or setting the mood, so it seems silly to me.)

I also recently tried the trial version of Lost in the City and really enjoyed it. Again, I like the link between the story and what I'm looking for. Any thoughts on games I might like?

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

Re:Similar hidden object games?

[Post New]by genkicoll on Mar 17, 10 7:25 PM
Have you tried Briar Rose? Beautiful graphics, and picking up pieces of items to put together and use. I call these games "Adventure-esque HOGs", for lack of a better way to describe them.

Here are some more for you to check out:

Romance of Rome

Mushroom Age

The Clumsys 1 & 2
(many different kinds of gameplay, just have to give it a little while)

Department 42

Magic Encyclopedia 1 & 2

Hidden Magic
(a bit of a different take)

The Sultan's Labyrinth: A Royal Sacrifice

Treasure Seekers: The Enchanted Canvases
(and the new one Follow the Ghosts)

Drawn: The Painted Tower

The Treasures of Mystery Island
- NOT easy >_< Like Sultan's Labyrinth, but harder: Played almost 45 minutes and didn't even get 1/4 of the way through!

Alexandra Fortune: Mystery of the Lunar Archipelago

Heroes of Hellas 2: Olympia
- Match 3 game like 4 Elements, also has hidden objects.

Mystery Age: The Imperial Staff

Dark Parables: Curse of the Briar Rose

Cordia
Flounder
Flounder
2,009 Posts

[Post New]by Cordia on Mar 17, 10 8:31 PM
I have tried and really liked Drawn- thank you so much for the suggestions! I will be trying those as much as possible. Briar Rose really caught my eye.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Mar 17, 10 11:42 PM
Welcome Cordia, and you may have just found a new genre to explore. Funny, we're just the opposite, I totally absolutely enjoy 4 Elements but didn't like the HOG parts because old eyes and small 15" screen I can hardly see tiny objects or fragments. Had to use a lot of hints on those to get back to the puzzle part that was so much more fun.

When you read reviews, players are now calling those FROGs, Fragmented Object games, so that may lead you to these you enjoy, putting parts together to fit the story. Usually Adventure IHOG (interactive) or ask the reviewers if they are mostly parts of things for an object to use in the story.

As I recall, Adventures of Robinson Crusoe had many, short game tho. I just finished Vampireville which is a comedy spoof of vampire spooky stories, very funny if your type humor. Also Mishap Accidental Haunting is a satire play on ghost stories, again, offbeat humor. Parts big enough for me to see and put together whacko gadgets, lots of fun and very long, incredible game.

If it's the fairy tale element you liked in 4 Elements, maybe Princess Isabella is one for you if the fairy doesn't drive you nuts.

The ones I avoid because of tiny fragments are Treasure Seekers and the Dream Chronicles series, just too much eye strain and lose patience. If you have a bigger screen and good eyesight you'd probably enjoy them as others do, just not me.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Mar 17, 10 11:51 PM
PS just thought of Call of Atlantis, another good match 3 and IHOG to find parts of artifacts to complete chapters. Have enjoyed it but got really difficult at the end so don't remember if I ever got the last one, I jump around so much with so many games. I loved Paradise Quest too, moving board M3 with lots of other fun stuff to do for relief.

Edited on 03/17/2010 at 11:57:02 PM PST

Cordia
Flounder
Flounder
2,009 Posts

[Post New]by Cordia on Mar 18, 10 4:54 PM
Thanks so much for the replies and suggestions! I am eagerly downloading trials and looking forward to trying them out. I especially appreciate you letting me know that this is a developing genre- I wish the search function on the site were a bit more precise, but it's also allowed me to test the waters with games that just have interesting names.

My husband allowed our subscription to lapse recently, but I will be reactivating it next month. I go through periods of inactivity, but I usually come back to my casual games eventually! Drawn has really captured me and is likely to be my first month's game.... unless I find something I like better in the meantime! I'm also going to start reviewing the games I trial so I can remember what I've enjoyed. I used the last credit on my account to pick up 4 Elements, and it has been a fantastic purchase for me. I'm approaching level 50 and intending to do another playthrough once I've finished.

Cordia
Flounder
Flounder
2,009 Posts

[Post New]by Cordia on Mar 19, 10 3:34 PM
Oh my goodness! I just tried Hidden Magic, and it is fantastic!

Cordia
Flounder
Flounder
2,009 Posts

[Post New]by Cordia on Mar 23, 10 4:46 AM
This is just to keep you updated so you know I've been making use of your suggestions!

What I've tried from the suggestions:

Drawn (I am hoping it does not show up as a DD before next month, as we do not have any wiggle room- Loved the feel of this one very much and will buy at regular club price rather than wait for a dd.)

Department 42- I got frustrated when I couldn't figure out what to do next at one point. I tend to be pretty linear.

Heroes of Hellas 2- I actually tried the first one, but I enjoyed it, and suspect that the sequel just improves upon the first one. I'd buy either of these on a daily deal in the future.

Hidden Magic (As mentioned above, this is one that I am just thrilled by.)

Mishap: Very high quality game. My one complaint was that there were things I wasn't sure how to find- they exceeded my vocabulary, though occasionally, I'd see one of the things and think, "Huh, I think that may be the actual name of those things." (I did that with those star shaped ninja knife things.) I'm interested in sitting down and reading through the story, because I did a lot of skipping with the demo. Yeah, I'd pay full price for this one.

I'm trying to review all the games I demo- it helps me remember the good and bad more readily when I do that, especially immediately after playing.

Go to: