Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Sable Maze: Sinister Knowledge Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Sep 8, 16 12:38 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 09/08/2016 at 6:22:54 AM PST

bfgPanthalassa
Flounder
Flounder
2,450 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Sable Maze: Sinister Knowledge Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by bfgPanthalassa on Sep 8, 16 6:22 AM
Hello everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Sable Maze: Sinister Knowledge Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Sable Maze: Sinister Knowledge Collector's Edition.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgPanthalassa

WaltzingFish
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Sable Maze: Sinister Knowledge Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by WaltzingFish on Sep 8, 16 1:26 PM
Books! My world! Books in a game - what a promising start!

After having made the trade with the stingy squirrel (how often did we see this before???) we get ready to enter the house we were invited into.

But only after you have completed three steps of "Spot the difference" which was boring, made your way into the house by faking an ID card, which was somehow interesting, and be welcomed by the bloke who has invited us with the words "Ah, you're finally here!". Why on earth didn't he just open the door?

I gulped, choked, sighed - and went on.
Just to find out we've been duped again. As in the CE before and the one before and the one before the one before.

As much as I like the visuals, I would love to have loads of time exploring this fantastic library and browse the books, this game was a big disappointment.

No buy. But thanks for the free trial.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Sep 8, 16 5:43 PM
Hi all. Well, we have #6 in this series. As always, I review mostly on the game play and leave the story to others who do a much better job than I. I beta tested this one back in May and really liked it. Game play was excellent, with no problems at all. Colors for the most part are quit clean, clear and true. Graphics and animation are very well done. Not a lot of music, but it was there when needed to liven things up a bit. I especially liked the sound FX. Mostly you hear them when you are outside, e.g. birds, frogs, etc. Voice overs are few and far between in the demo, but are quite well done. Voices are age and character appropriate. Your voice is never heard, but you can read whatever it is you are saying to another character.

HOPs are a very nice combination of interactive lists, silhouettes and fragments. The scenes are very clear and items are not difficult to find. You are not over-run with HOPs and you can switch to a match 3 if you wish. Puzzles are not difficult, but a couple did take me a little time and thought to complete. Hint system is very helpful and you do have the transport feature for longer distances. There is quite a lot of running back and forth, but for some reason, I didn't get bored with it. SG is easy to follow if you need it, and the pictures of where collectibles can be found are quit clear and large enough to actually see.

Collectibles are not many, but are well done. There is a morphing jigsaw puzzle piece in each scene. They blend fairly well, but are not all that difficult to find. You will have 6 puzzles to complete, so there are a lot of pieces to find. You also find "coins" that are quite large and have a book in the center of them. You use these coins to purchase statuettes of the characters. Didn't see that they did anything else.

I really like this series, and I do have all of the others. The dev seems to change them up just enough to make each one a bit different and interesting, so you don't get bored. This story is a little different and I found it to be quite entertaining. I don't give 5 stars easily to any game. It has to be exceptional and this one comes close. When I beta tested it, I gave it a 4.5, mostly because I felt it needed more challenging collectibles. I had fun with this one, it kept my interest throughout, and I think all levels of players will find it fun. Naturally, I am going to add this one to my collection of CE games.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

thistle809
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by thistle809 on Sep 12, 16 8:27 AM
Based solely on the demo: From the Main Menu right through the end of the demo (87 minutes for me) I had adjectives flooding my wee, tiny brain. They included: fascinating, gorgeous, brilliant, fun, spellbinding, beautifully-crafted, exciting and delightful; to name a few. The plot (storyline) is quite intriguing and, combined with wonderful voice overs, sets the stage for a rollicking good bit of sleuthing and adventure. Dialogue is short and can be skipped.The music is lovely and melodic, yet spirited enough to prevent lulling you to sleep. The graphics are astounding in their detail and color palette. I played in the Custom level (basically the least difficult setting with a few minor adjustments to Hint, Sparkle and Skip timing to suit my tastes). The HOS's are varied in type which keeps things from feeling repetitive. The mini-games are good and, at the "easy" level, thought-provoking enough to be good while not actually provoking. There is a morphing piece to be found in each scene which is a jigsaw puzzle piece that will complete wallpapers. You will also randomly find coins to use to purchase collection pieces.

I have always loved books and wholeheartedly believe that anyone can "travel" the world through the wonder of books. We can get to know those who lived centuries earlier, learn about everything from architecture to zoology or the science that may take us to live on other planets. The thought that somewhere there might be books with the secret to change reality, might not be so far-fetched. In any case, it's a lovely opportunity to let one's imagination have free rein.

This is definitely now on my "Must Have" list. My only hesitation about purchase is the steadily-growing list of posts in the Tech Issues thread about problems near the end of the main game and in the Bonus Game. I, like many others, have grown weary of being faced with replaying an entire game to see if the "snag" will resolve itself or leaving a game not-quite-finished. I think I'll wait a few weeks (months) to see if the devs give us an update.

Edited on 09/19/2016 at 12:21:05 PM PST

Bartsister
Clownfish
Clownfish
710 Posts

Re: Please post your REVIEWS for Sable Maze: Sinister Knowledge Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Bartsister on Sep 16, 16 2:50 PM
Based on completed game and bonus

It's time for me to give some love to Daily Magic who is back with a vengeance with this latest Sable Maze. This game was great fun to play.

Each chapter of this game takes you to a completely different world, so scenes, themes and colors shift throughout. The game felt fresh to me as I progressed and was quite enjoyable. The bonus chapter goes way back in time and is a nice extra adventure, taking the player to three different locations for smaller tasks.

The challenge level in this offering I thought was varied and very good. I have commented that the games in the last year from this developer have been too easy. Not so with this one. The mini-games vary from very easy to needing to work at them a bit. Nothing mind boggling or anything, but better than I have seen of late from these developers.

The HOPs actually are where I think this gameplay really stands out. There are couple of FROGs in case there are lovers of this type of HOP scene. Also - there are some challenging and innovative interactive HOPs. Very clever. I enjoyed the change of pace instead of racing though item lists.

Length was also very good with this game. I had a lot of fun and liked moving through the different book worlds. I highly recommend giving Sinister Knowledge a try if you haven't already. I think it is well worth the time and just gets better as you move forward.

sparkers2005
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by sparkers2005 on Sep 17, 16 2:07 PM
I thought this one was the best of the series. beautiful graphics. nice story. I played main game and bonus chapter with no problems at all.

banshee10
Clownfish
Clownfish
564 Posts

[Post New]by banshee10 on Sep 19, 16 10:20 AM
In...cred...ibly.... boring.

I've had my ups and downs with Sable Maze, I've purchased this one after 15 minutes of the demo in a mood like "You don't really need this, but it seems to be good enough until something better comes along".

Hard to explain why I disliked it - I love the idea of a maze made out of book piles! But the choice of chapters was rather lame and standard, and they just did not manage to put some fresh features into the stories. What exciting stuff you could do with a foggy, fin-de-siècle London town, how many great plots could be used for the Horror section! ...in other games, maybe.
This game just follows same old, same old roads. No surprises, everything is predictable. I'd recommend it to anyone who hasn't played more than 9 or 10 HOPAs so far.

To those who consider buying the CE: Save your money. The BC is short and uninspiring. You can tell on sight that they really did not know what to add to the main game.

Go to: