cal711
Guppy
Guppy
162 Posts

The opposing rings puzzles

[Post New]by cal711 on Sep 12, 16 8:34 PM
That's probably not what they're called but I'm finding it impossible to get those puzzles done. They're the ones where you have to line up a scene but there are several rings (or squares) and when you click on one of them, it moves another one. I know there's a secret to getting them ALL to line up correctly at the same time but I can't figure it out. I've tried clicking on every other ring/square, starting from the center, starting from the outside, etc. but I'm still stymied. I did manage to get one of them on another "Cruise Director" game but it was strictly by accident so I have no idea how I managed to get it.

Can anyone help me with the secret for solving these puzzles? I've completely given up on the slide puzzles (tried all of them but failed miserably each time) and I'd really like to get this other one to work. Thanks in advance to anyone who can throw this poor dog a bone!!

burf90
Flounder
Flounder
2,276 Posts

Re:The opposing rings puzzles

[Post New]by burf90 on Sep 12, 16 10:04 PM
Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be one method of solving these. On one I found it easier to start at the center, on the next one it worked better to start at the outside. However, there are a few tips I can give that might help.

Start by moving each ring a little and write down (if your memory is as bad as mine):

1) Which other rings move when you move each one.
2) What direction they move, as sometimes they turn together and sometimes they turn in opposite directions.
3) If there are any that move alone, without affecting others, do that one last.
4) Look to see if some rings turns the others faster or slower.

If you do that, you'll be able to see what might be the best order to try them in. The good news is, you can play with them as much as you want without ruining much. You can always put a ring that moved out of alignment back where it was and try another set.

Start by placing the ring that screws up the most other rings, then try not to move it again. Then set the one that moves the next most, etc. If one ring moves only itself, then you'll do that one last. Sometimes you have to alternate between two sets of rings to get a third one where you need it. For instance, sometimes ring 1 will turn ring 2 at double speed, but ring 3 will turn ring 2 at half speed, so you can alternate turning rings 1 and 3 to get ring 2 where you need it.

I don't know if this will help you or make you run screaming off into the night, but there you go...

cal711
Guppy
Guppy
162 Posts

[Post New]by cal711 on Sep 13, 16 3:16 PM
Thanks, burf. I printed out your reply and I'll try your tips on the next one of these puzzles I come across.

These have really been maddening for me, as have the slide puzzles. I even went online and watched a few videos on how to do slide puzzles but the people doing them went through them so fast and just said things like "Move this here and this one here" without fully explaining HOW to get a tile from the bottom right to the top left! And they demonstrated with number puzzles (1 through 15) rather than pictures so it's different. With the pictures, it's hard to even know where to start because I don't know where each part of the picture is supposed to be once it's finished... is "LIBERTY OF THE WAVES" at the top or bottom of this particular puzzle?! So as with the opposing rings puzzles, I just wait for the clock to tick down so I click on "SKIP" and move on with the game.

I love puzzles but it's hard to enjoy a game when I get stuck on these. And I like the jigsaw puzzles but it takes forever just to separate all of the pieces from that big pile.

Okay, enough of my whining!! Thanks again for the tips. I'm not going to give up until I finally manage to get one of these puzzles solved!! Then I'll try to tackle a slide puzzle again.

burf90
Flounder
Flounder
2,276 Posts

[Post New]by burf90 on Sep 13, 16 7:55 PM
You're welcome. I hope the tips help. I know your pain, but for me it's those stupid dial/valve/faucet turning puzzles, where you turn that one on and four others turn off. After working on it forever I usually manage to get them all on, only to find out that I was supposed to turn them all off.

As for the slider puzzles, You're right, it's a lot harder with pictures. I usually use the borders as clues, but they don't always have a border. The one thing I've found is it seems to be easiest to start in the upper left corner and work across row by row, but it takes some studying to figure out which one goes in the upper left.

It would take some time, but if you are bound and determined to do a picture slider, you could always take a picture of the screen, print it, cut out the pieces and assemble the picture by hand, so you have a reference.

Finally, you can use my secret last resort: I find the nearest kid and ask him/her to do it for me. They always solve them in about three seconds.

armadillogirl
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

[Post New]by armadillogirl on Dec 11, 16 9:31 AM
I wind up skipping them and the sliders. I wish these were replaced with better mini games because the rest of the game and the ones in this series are very enjoyable!

Edited on 12/11/2016 at 9:32:54 AM PST

armadillogirl
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

[Post New]by armadillogirl on Mar 17, 17 1:29 PM
Sorry I can't help you but I can't finish them most of the time. I don't have the patience for the slider puzzles either.

Go to: