bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Comments and Reviews for Alice in Wonderland

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Mar 19, 10 2:05 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Alice in Wonderland? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Hope to hear from you!

bfgFlounder

justnorma
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

Re:Comments and Reviews for Alice in Wonderland

[Post New]by justnorma on Mar 19, 10 2:10 AM
What a complete waste of time and talent! This game looked as though it had so much potential! But the constant rhythmic lightning and thunder had me with a headache as well. This can't be a coincedence, as so many others have had the same experience.

After a bit the lightning and thunder stopped and I was so hopeful, but then it started again! Just impossible!

SO disappointed!!!

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Mar 19, 10 2:14 AM
After reading the comments on this game, I was expecting to delete it after a short time. But, I really love it! The flashing lightening stops after the first couple of scenes. After that the graphics are fab, the tasks interesting, the mini games skipable and the custom cursor is working great. Doesn't appear to punish over clicking either that I can see. It really deserves to be given a chance as it is a great game for those that like iHOGs.
I give it a thumbs up and am off to buy it now.

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Mar 19, 10 2:18 AM
This is a challenging IHOG with well developed art and a dark take on the Alice in Wonderland universe. Familiar characters and settings from the story are seen but that's about the only parallel. Still it is an interesting take.

I found the graphics rich and interesting but cut scenes quite pixelly (that *should* be a word ) and regular scenes a bit mushy and dark, like they were trying to save on file size by using less resolution. A shame because the art is quite good. I did NOT like the music and turned it off nearly immeadiately.

Inventory puzzles abound with very little hand holding as to what specifically is needed and how to accomplish the task set for you. This will be a plus for some and frustrating to others. I found it somewhere in between. The mini-games I encountered were nothing special - gears, jigsaw, spot the difference and sliders, all pretty easy. They are skippable but you must wait for the skip to activate. Hint refills pretty quickly but is not very specific either. Again a plus for some, not for others.

I found the cursor a bit overly picky, particularly on the gears puzzles and that was frustrating as was the pacing. For example I had *just* completed a gears puzzle and very shortly had to complete another. Things like that need to be spread out a bit more. The back and forth between scenes while normally a plus is a bit annoying when one doesn't know what one is looking for and kind of makes the game have a stumbly feeling. Definitely more old school adventure-ish in that respect.

I've a lot on my mind tonight and mood might account for my less than enthusiatic review. I wish I'd played with fresh eyes as I think it's good but came away not overly compelled to buy. I'll be very interested to hear what others think and about duration. Blog would indicate I was about halfway thru in the demo. So far I'd say:

Edited on 03/19/2010 at 2:21:36 AM PST

Raska
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by Raska on Mar 19, 10 2:34 AM
I stopped after 20 minutes of playing..This could have been an interesting game, but it's not ! No puzzles...or just stupid ones... hidden objects : clicking and trying to find them, because they are hard to find! Bad tutorial, bad hints... bad game !!!

Raska : heart:

andyjen
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by andyjen on Mar 19, 10 2:35 AM
I went to play the game, and straight off I couldnt get the key to open the front door. Because at the bottom of the screen where the key was, the menu and the hint button took up about 2 inches of the screen. It covered the steps ,only step showing was the top one, Anybody else have the samr problem. Any solutions available please.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Mar 19, 10 2:38 AM
What a big disappointment, lightning does not flash that often in real life so why make a game that gives you a headache before you can get past finding all the keys and handle to the cellar. Flashing the house lights at the same time as the lightning is ridiculous, talk about overkill.

Unless they make a patch to do away with all these flashing lights I will not even be trying any more of the game let alone buying it.

C

Angel369
Lobster
Lobster
95 Posts

[Post New]by Angel369 on Mar 19, 10 2:49 AM
[color=#ca33cc][/col
Oh dear!!! After the wonders of Briar Rose I was hoping that this would be a similar type of game. With all the Alice in Wonderland hype at the moment and the wonderful film, I was quick to download this game and fully intended to buy it.
What a disappointment the game downloaded and I was fully prepared for the lightening etc but have failed to get any further than the cellar...no task appears however many different spots I click on and I don't get the option to collect the 'oil and crowbar' from the living room either...
I'm really at a loss as to what to do and would welcome any helpful suggestions please

_Angel_angel
Minnow
Minnow
284 Posts

[Post New]by _Angel_angel on Mar 19, 10 3:09 AM
What a huge disappointment! I really expected to enjoy this game.

The music was nice... for the first three minutes

I tried to ignore and get past the lightning (flashing / flickering lights cause migraines) but then ran into the cat... OMG!

The graphics on the in-between scenes are so beautiful, why make the play scenes hazy and blurry???

About the third time I had to retry to pick up the gears, I got mad and quit.

Now i just have a headache

I can't decide if i am mad at the people who made this game or sad for them.

It is obvious that time was spent on this, but i would be surprised if it sold well

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Mar 19, 10 3:24 AM
Hi,
I didn't have any trouble finding the things. If you are in the right location the objects show in purple, if in the wrong location they show in red. There is a task/objective box bottom left. If you click on the hint button it helps you go to the right place. Look around for little feet and follow them into different areas.You should be able to go upstairs into a childs room from the ground floor.
I'm on chapter 8, and have enjoyed every second of it. Worth persevering with if you're stuck. There is a walkthrough available; link on BFG TGT page!

however many different spots I click on and I don't get the option to collect the 'oil and crowbar' from the living room either...
I'm really at a loss as to what to do and would welcome any helpful suggestions please

[Post New]by dizzypdx on Mar 19, 10 3:50 AM
I didn't even get past the front door. The graphics were messed up for me, and no matter what I did, I couldn't fix them. I should probably mention that I am a web designer with some game programming experience. If I can't fix it, then it's not my fault.

sunnny
Manatee
Manatee
3,945 Posts

[Post New]by sunnny on Mar 19, 10 3:55 AM
I am afraid, I am in the minority, but I rather like this game.
So far, no problems travelling between scenes,
hidden objects challenging, but so far visible.
The lightning stops after first couple of scenes and although
the scenes are dark, the graphics are good.
The music had to be switched off after 2 minutes.
I like the fact that insted of getting 20 + list, it is up to the player
to figure out, what is needed.

It is on my "buy list".

katejoe999
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

[Post New]by katejoe999 on Mar 19, 10 3:56 AM
There is every reason for this game to be good but some how it doesn't cut it. Its the kind of game I like, nice graphics, story line, mixture of hidden objects, puzzles and collecting things but it feels a bit clumsy somehow. Did the whole hour demo but don't feel I need to buy to carry on. Oh well, will wait to see what comes up tomorrow night.

amj0963
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,544 Posts

[Post New]by amj0963 on Mar 19, 10 4:06 AM
sunnny i am with you, i guess we are the minority this i think would be a great game for someone who is wanting to dip their feet in an large file adventure game, there is definitely no hand holding, you have an objective and you must do that objective before you can move on, so yes there is that back and forth between scenes, i also noticed that the inventory box on the bottom would change colors when you were in the right spot where they were.

spoiler

as to answer angel369 you can't get the crowbar until you use the lamp in the basement.

i very seldom listen to the music so that doesn't bother me, also the lightning didn't bother me. i like that you are not alice but you are looking for her. love the cheshire cat, just wish he would have shown whole body fading in and out. hints are rechargeable and it is pretty quick, so far i haven't been penalized for clicking too much. love the graphics they are not bad. i purchased this game after about 20 minutes of demo.

i give this game 3 1/2 out of 5.

dvdiva
Clownfish
Clownfish
911 Posts

[Post New]by dvdiva on Mar 19, 10 4:10 AM
Beautiful! The graphics did not disappoint. I admit, completing the house level required some patience, but thanks to the warnings here, I was ready for the constant lightning flashes. But once you get past the house, it really is quite beautiful. I have to give the music in the Wonderland scenes an A, as its strange melancholic feel reminds me of a Japanese anime soundtrack.

[Post New]by fordette on Mar 19, 10 4:13 AM
I'd love to give a review but im stuck in the game, i dont know whether its a glitch or what. I'm in the cellar and its dark, now according to the walkthrough i need to click at the top and im given a task, well im clicking everywhere and im not being given a task, therefor i cant progress in the game. i have another friend that has the key to the front door, but the door wont unlock to let him inside. i hope that the makers fix the glitches so we all get to play the game.

LarkBea
Herring
Herring
354 Posts

[Post New]by LarkBea on Mar 19, 10 4:26 AM
I beta tested this game and really enjoyed it. If I find the music or sound to be annoying, I just take off my headphones.

I want to see the walkthrough before I decide to purchase though. I don't like spending my money on games that are too short. If the length seems reasonable, I will definitely be purchasing it.

prchalpn
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,132 Posts

[Post New]by prchalpn on Mar 19, 10 5:16 AM
I've made it to level 5 with 10 minutes to spare(taking my time). I found the game delightful. Beautiful graphics and nice story. I had no problems playing. Mini games are fairly easy but fun. A good game for a beginner to moderate skilled player. I find it to be a bit on the short side per chapter.

/

Rachieroos
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,039 Posts

[Post New]by Rachieroos on Mar 19, 10 5:22 AM
I only managed 11 minutes of this before I had to stop. The thrumming background "music" was like listening to a migraine (metaphorically), the Cheshire Cat looked evil as did the White Rabbit, and by this time I couldn't even be bothered to put the boat plans together because I didn't care!

Disappointed. The opening of the game and the first few scenes looked very promising. Unfortunately, once I got down to the well, the promise disappeared under a misguided attempt to be "moody". What a shame. To be honest, I thought this would be more of a children's game - and it could be - but the puzzles are similar to most other iHogs so not aimed at kids per se. I found it too dark and spooky for a child to enjoy, which is a shame as otherwise I think my 6 year old would love to play (I bought him Age of Oracles: Tara's Journey which he loves). After all, AiW is a children's book. Great timing to release this on the back of the film, but for me, a flop.

1/5 - based on what I've seen so far, but as I'm not going to continue, this will have to be my final score.

[Post New]by EcclesCakes on Mar 19, 10 5:23 AM
I've made it to the beginning of Level 4 by the end of the demo, which looks like about one-third of the way through. I'm finding the game quite mesmerizing, I've only had to use several hints and, at least, when you do use one, the desired object is obvious, unlike some games. The settings and sometimes haunting sound track all work well together. Alice easily becomes game six on my card for this month, unless something more obvious comes along before then. of 5 stars.

Eccles Cakes

Go to: