bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Comments and Reviews for Millennium Secrets: Emerald Curse

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Mar 20, 10 2:03 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Millennium Secrets: Emerald Curse? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Hope to hear from you!

bfgFlounder

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

Re:Comments and Reviews for Millennium Secrets: Emerald Curse

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Mar 20, 10 2:37 AM
What's the mark of a good game? When you get to the end of the demo and go, "Noooooo!" and can't believe your hour is up. That is exactly what just happened to me playing Millennium Secrets: Emerald Curse which frankly surprised the heck outta me.

As I've mentioned time over and over in a most annoying manner.... Good artwork is reeeeally important to me and when looking at the screen shots for this one and seeing the "Poser" models for the characters and the overly clean, 1st year architecture student interiors for the backgrounds I did not expect much from the game. BUT at the end of the day what *really* matters in a game is engaging gameplay which clearly this one has for me considering I was fully entranced when that hour went poof.

Very much a nod to old school adventure with today's ease of play and more immediate gratification, this is a great little inventory puzzler with some pleasant mini-games thrown in. I'm interested in the story, I'm enjoying the adventure, I WANT TO KEEP PLAYING! I'm playing on Advanced Mode and have no clue how far I've gotten as Chapters aren't terribly well marked out but honestly, give me another hour and I'll be happy.Granted, I'm on a lot of pain killers tonight (GD cramps like I'm 12 again ) so that *might* play into my delight, but I'm havin' a heck of a good time!

Off to play! Poodlebear Approved! for great gameplay.

<--- sorry, can only give one thumb up tho, cuz really, those graphics...

Raska
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by Raska on Mar 20, 10 3:06 AM
I'm not so positive about this game... Opening drawers and chests are the main things to do ! The puzzles are or too difficult or too easy !
Was this a game made by a student for his endwork ? I wouldn't give him a good note !
The game is a "would be" adventure game, but such a bad one, that I'm not going to buy it...
Just give me a simple hidden game, but a very good one like Dark Parables - Curse of Briar Rose for example and let the artists make the good adventure games...

Raska

PS Excuse my english but I'm but a Belgian girl

katejoe999
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

[Post New]by katejoe999 on Mar 20, 10 4:38 AM
I think this is a great game, despite the graphics. Its intelligently thought out and throws up unexpected stuff - you do more than just opening drawers as you go on. I've gotten used to the way it looks and moves and I'm really getting into it. I'm playing on advanced and it's the right amount of challenge for me, not to frustrating when you get a bit stuck. Good mix of mini games that are relevant to the game. Great story line and a bit of humour too.

Edited on 03/20/2010 at 4:39:53 AM PST

pjfrompa
Squid
Squid
74 Posts

[Post New]by pjfrompa on Mar 20, 10 4:39 AM
You're English is excellent. Don't put yourself down.

shai_one
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by shai_one on Mar 20, 10 5:09 AM
Finished the game in about 3 hours with a few little breaks. Lots of mini games that were all different so that was a plus, as i dont like to play the same thing over and over again. Great story line although i would have liked to see more of what happened to the little girl, so yes this is a " to be continued game ". Overall i did enjoy this game alot, kept me wanting to play and find out more. I would recommend this game to anyone that enjoys interactive hogs & a mixture of mini games.

ruthiepic
Flounder
Flounder
2,095 Posts

[Post New]by ruthiepic on Mar 20, 10 5:28 AM
I really really liked the demo, off to buy it now.

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

[Post New]by doctorgood on Mar 20, 10 5:42 AM
I played 20 min. in the relaxed mode and I stopped to buy it. What a fun game!! Loads and runs perfect ( vista 64 bit premium ). Graphics are great. It's not just a junk pile which, by the way, I'm really getting tired of. Lots of interaction moving things around,putting things together etc. Puzzles are a little easy but they might get more difficult. I would have traded a little less dialogue for more game play. I have no idea how long it is but it's so much fun that I'm really going to hate it when it's over. I think that is probably the best indication of an excellent game. It is definitely in my top 10 of all time favorites!!!!
Dr.good

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on Mar 20, 10 6:06 AM
I LOVE IT! The graphics are pretty good. Doesn't look TOO difficult to the point where I always have to look at the walkthrough, which, in my opinion, what's the point of playing the game. The tasks are clear as what it is you have to do. I love having to find a number of objects to complete a tasks. So far I love the mini games and puzzles. Not too difficult. Although I was not playing on Advanced Mode, but, I think I will be able to because the game is user-friendly. Good story. Music is good, not distracting. Very well done.
Thank you so much BFG

calsmom2001
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,785 Posts

[Post New]by calsmom2001 on Mar 20, 10 7:12 AM
Poodlebear wrote:

Very much a nod to old school adventure with today's ease of play and more immediate gratification, this is a great little inventory puzzler with some pleasant mini-games thrown in.

My thoughts absolutely Poodle! Brought me back to the early days of LFAs without all the crying and pulling of hair! I got as far as the library in the castle, have no idea of how much more there is, but since it seems that we will at least need to visit Mexico, there has to be a fair amount of gameplay left.

One thing I really appreciated was the ability to switch between casual and advanced modes on the fly. Most of the time I left it in advanced mode, but when I just wasn't making the necessary connections I would switch to casual mode and let the little sparkles lead me. (If only Myst, Riven, etc. had such an option! )

I will probably wait to hear about length, but this is the most intriguing game I've seen in a while.

bronte311
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by bronte311 on Mar 20, 10 7:55 AM
Another one here who couldn't believe that her demo time was up! I enjoyed this one and, while the graphics might not be up to the standards of some other games, they are a LOT better than most of the games we get on BFG.

Our heroine is certainly resourceful! Without giving away any spoilers, I was a little surprised at how adept she turned out to be at snooping around and "taking care of" obstacles...Is this a sequel? I might have to check out the first game too!

Lynnet67
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by Lynnet67 on Mar 20, 10 8:04 AM
I love this game and I am going to get it with my credit.....

[Post New]by ladydee1967 on Mar 20, 10 8:21 AM
Played 15 mins of the demo and decided to check the reviews about how long this game is. I liked that in the first few minutes there were a few mini games that werent that hard. Guess I will be buying it...wow am filling up my punch card for this month quickly. Thanks BF games for putting out some decent ones. Went through a bit of a dry spell there for a little bit but all seems good now.

krissywillow
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,084 Posts

[Post New]by krissywillow on Mar 20, 10 10:16 AM
Once I got it working right (I had a disappearing cursor at first, but finally figured out how to fix my computer settings), I really enjoyed this. It's comparable to vampireville in that you have to go around opening drawers and cupboards, etc. but I like this one better than V. I think I was playing on regular mode rather than advanced and it was fine, not too easy, not too hard. Advanced mode will be fun to play it through again.

Not sure why the complaints about the graphics, I actually really dig those "retro" sparce-type graphics. I thought the animated cut scenes were very well done. (By the way, the gal doing the main character's voice is the same one who does Scorpio RItuals and a few other games, I'm pretty sure). I did however skip some of the cut scenes to save on demo time. If I buy I will play them because I thought they were quite beautiful.

I checked the walkthrough and it seems I only got about a fifth of the way through it in my demo hour but some of that was messing with the cursor problem I had at the beginning. Anyway it doesn't look like a very long game but it doesn't seem too short either.

Oh and speaking of Scorpio Rituals, the story of this is VERY similar to SR. Young gal has to rescue older relative from crooks who want to steal archeological prize. Hey it might be kind of nice to have a GUY hero for a change! lol

I'm strongly leaning towards getting this one w/ a free game coupon as I did enjoy it a lot and was sad when the demo ended.

nanaseaweed
Guppy
Guppy
191 Posts

[Post New]by nanaseaweed on Mar 20, 10 10:32 AM
Just adding my 2 cents worth! I'm new to game playing so I can not compare it to much. I liked my one hour trial. I was entertained and I played the relaxed or easy mode. Probably a buy for me in the near future.
Nana

prpldva
Zebrafish
Zebrafish
48,548 Posts

[Post New]by prpldva on Mar 20, 10 10:34 AM
nanaseaweed wrote:Just adding my 2 cents worth! I'm new to game playing so I can not compare it to much. I liked my one hour trial. I was entertained and I played the relaxed or easy mode. Probably a buy for me in the near future.
Nana

Welcome to the forums and congrats on your morph, nanaseaweed!

Sante001
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by Sante001 on Mar 20, 10 11:33 AM
krissywillow wrote:
Not sure why the complaints about the graphics, I actually really dig those "retro" sparce-type graphics. I thought the animated cut scenes were very well done.

KrissyWillow, I ditto your comments. I too really loved the graphics. They remind me of the art work in old comic books.

Not to repeat others. I will just add a few additonal comments.

Length -- Depending on your play skills, I give it 2-1/2 to 4-1/2 hours. I played the demo up to the Manor. When playing demo, I tend to listen to the sound, all the dialogue, and play mini-games without skipping. These probably add time.

Sound -- I can't remember, so this is probably a good thing. It didn't annoy me and apparently played in the background.

Storyline -- Loved it!

Graphics -- I quote Krissy, I really enjoyed the "retro" graphics.

Bottomline -- A purchase for me

Toffifee
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,383 Posts

[Post New]by Toffifee on Mar 20, 10 11:43 AM
oooh the hour is already over ...

Well IMHO the animation is terrible .... but after 5 minutes that didn't disturb me any more

If you like to click and open everything in a scene without being punished this is YOUR game

The storyline is interesting, I really want to know now how it ends ...
I played in advanced mode, but the tasks were not too difficult and you don't need much hints (if any).

KitKat5169
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,099 Posts

[Post New]by KitKat5169 on Mar 20, 10 11:55 AM
Well, I think everyone summed it up very well. Just wanted to give my at an excellent game. I even liked the "retro" graphics. Definite buy for me.

SublimeOne
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by SublimeOne on Mar 20, 10 12:05 PM
This game reminded me a little of Iron Roses, without all the endless walking back and forth.

I didn't mind the old school animation, especially once I got into the game.

I liked that everything was integrated into the story. No junk piles here. Everything you collect has a purpose and the puzzles work well into the game. I played on Casual mode just to see what it was like but I will probably go back once I've bought the game and start over in the harder mode.

I got up to the Library before my demo time ran out. Going to check the walkthrough to see how much gameplay is left. Hope it's reasonably long because it's a great game.

Go to: