Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Parables: The Thief and the Tinderbox Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Sep 22, 16 12:37 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 09/22/2016 at 7:32:13 AM PST

bfgPanthalassa
Flounder
Flounder
2,450 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Parables: The Thief and the Tinderbox Collector's Edition her

[Post New]by bfgPanthalassa on Sep 22, 16 7:31 AM
Hello everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Dark Parables: The Thief and the Tinderbox Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Dark Parables: The Thief and the Tinderbox Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgPanthalassa

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Parables: The Thief and the Tinderbox Collector's Edition

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Sep 23, 16 7:26 AM
I know there are many who don't like these FROG's so won't even bother to try this game. But for those of use who love the fragmented objects searches, this game is a pleasure to play.

I don't really care about the story; it's a fairy tale mish-mash of assorted characters from other Dark Parables but does have a beginning and an end. Quite a long game, with plenty of puzzles and those wonderful FROG scenes which Eipix have made more difficult of late. I had to use a hint a couple of times, which is rare.

Graphics are bright, very colourful and beautifully clear but unexpectedly dark in places. Some of the puzzles are quite easy, others are not. The HOS of course are all fragmented pieces of an object, one of which is done in a very unique way. There are collectibles in the form of 'signs' and parable pieces which are not easy to find. The map transports and the 4 modes of play include custom. Extras consist of the bonus chapter (which is a backstory) and the usual Eipix fare (souvenir room, find the missed collectibles etc.).

I bought this game without even trying the demo. It's a Dark Parables and that's enough for me. Without Blue Tea Games this series would never have happened; their exquisitely gorgeous, delicate graphics were a wonder to behold. But devs move on and they passed the series over to Eipix; the graphics lost their fragile beauty but are still very pretty. If no-one buys these games, Eipix will stop making them and we will lose pretty much the only FROG being made, which would be a sad loss.

So I buy them all, regardless of whether or not it's a 'rehashed' story and whether or not anyone else likes them. I love them and long may they continue

ETA: Game played flawlessly throughout both the main game and the bonus chapter. No tech issues on a desktop running Win7 Prof 64-bit.

Edited on 09/23/2016 at 7:50:54 AM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Parables: The Thief and the Tinderbox Collector's Edition he

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Sep 23, 16 10:18 AM
Hi friends! Well, unless my count is off, this will make #12 in this series. As usual, I mostly review on the game play and not the story, as others do a much better job of that than I. If you have played any of the others in this series, you will know what I'm talking about in my review and why. The graphics are well done, very clean and clear. Colors are somewhat faded in some scenes and very nice in others. Game play was very good. There is very little character interaction and therefore, very little dialog. Sound FX are only when something is about to happen. This leaves only the music, which really started to grate on my nerves very quickly. This game is just way too quiet.

HOPs are the same as all the others, FROGs. I don't mind fragments, but not for the entire game. You cannot switch to a match 3 or anything else. This got very boring very quickly. Items are not difficult to find, but most scenes are quite cluttered...again, the typical of this series. Definitely needs an upgrade. Hint system was mostly helpful and it does transport to longer locations. This is a good thing, since you are constantly returning to the same locations. Puzzles were painfully simple and nothing new.

Collectibles were the usual large "signs", 39 in all and are in all the scenes so far. There are also morphing objects, but aren't all that easy to spot. This was very disappointing. Definitely needed more in this area.

I used to really enjoy this series, but unlike others, they just can't seem to update and move with the times. I haven't purchased the last few of this series for that reason. I got tired of running around to the same locations and got quite bored with the whole thing pretty quickly. Still, I keep playing to the end of the demo, hoping it would pick up...it didn't. No challenge, moved slowly, too quiet. Geared more toward a real beginner. There will be those who find this game fun for them, but I wasn't one of them. I rarely give a bad review, at least trying to find something good about a game to recommend it, but I'm at a loss on this one. This will be one of those extremely rare times when I won't even bother trying the SE. When I beta tested it, I gave it a 1.5...still feel the same. I often will find that the SE version is a much better game, but this game does nothing for me. No buy for me.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you are looking for today. Thanks for the reviews.

kgustavson
Clownfish
Clownfish
630 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Parables: The Thief and the Tinderbox Collector's Edition he

[Post New]by kgustavson on Sep 24, 16 12:17 AM
Story makes no sense. Map is incorrect showing available actions. Graphics are just so-so. I'll just wait for the tech issues to roll in as the last edition was riddled with problems.

Look, the original offerings were special, somewhat difficult, and offered challenging extras. Granted that was in a land now far away, but if one wants to continue this series then it should be in the same vein. I just have to pass on this one-off cookie cutter.

Happy Gaming All

arthurC
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
424 Posts

[Post New]by arthurC on Sep 26, 16 11:50 AM
I found the whole demo quite incomprehensible.
I didn't have a clue what was going on, so I won't bother buying the game

I'm so disappointed .. I used to love this series.
Jo

oldbag60
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

[Post New]by oldbag60 on Oct 2, 16 6:21 AM
Not for me I'm afraid. The graphics were ok but the game was much the same as the last 4 or 5 but not as interesting as the original Blue Tea ones. It's a tired idea now, a great shame because I loved the originals and still play them with great enjoyment.

plat1098
Minnow
Minnow
208 Posts

[Post New]by plat1098 on Oct 4, 16 4:47 AM
Have all the very best games been created already? I played part of the demo...and that's it. Graphics were pretty good in the opener and then slid downhill with choppy, primitive animation, unpleasant colors and shades, just overall bleh. I see the influence in the HOPs of the sub-developer which created lovely games in its own right; too bad it's incorporated into this games factory. There are collectables that aren't too difficult.

Found a number of characteristics about the game's story hokey and gimmicky. I don't need overkill on the silly flash and dazzle, thanks, just some quality and substance. Another cookie cutter offering, no, not this time around.

dog2007
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by dog2007 on Oct 8, 16 10:09 AM
I just finished the main game and found it quite enjoyable

I thought the graphics fell in line with what I've come to expect from Epix games and while it's not the original I still enjoy playing.

The puzzles in this one were easier but there was still some thinking required (the pathway puzzles that keep coming up took some working on but I got them). I only had to get help on one puzzle which to me is a good thing. I like to play through rather than use the guide or skip.

I followed the story fine...I had to refresh my memory about the characters since it's been a while since I last played the older ones (will have to do a marathon to get the plots back in line) but for the most part it was easy to follow (but then I read everything including the black bar comments).

I also don't mind the FROGS since it's what the series has always been...some of the pieces are hard to find but that's what a challenge is.

I think the only negative for me was a glitch in one of the chapters....after I hit RESET the puzzle worked fine but for a while I thought I'd have to skip or restart the game.

THe only other thing is the morphing objects and parable pieces are much harder to find in the Epix versions....that is the only thing I'd redo....I remember the collections in the Last Cinderella had to be collected because the game gave you an item once the collection was complete....I think that was one of the better ideas. Despite the hard to see aspect however the parables themselves do help move the story long and fill in the pieces.

Overall I'm pleased with this game and look forward to the next installment (I think I have a guess as to the next one...I translated that one word from the book and think I figured it out)

I do recommend this game and will continue to buy and play them

nextgengranny
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by nextgengranny on Oct 10, 16 3:37 PM
This game was okay w/ me, but I've never been a DP fan, as I don't really care for FROGs, so I'm not comparing it to previous games. The storyline was helter-skelter in some places, but I can live w/ that. My only real beef was w/ the bonus chapter, which was WAY too short, & not in the slightest bit challenging. For that reason, I'd recommend the SE version of this game more so than the CE version.

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Nov 12, 16 10:02 AM
enjoyed the game, I've played all of the dark parables, but this one I enjoyed but not as much as the earlier ones.

[Post New]by FunwithBigFish on May 8, 17 6:48 PM
What a confusing, illogical game. It is not immersive; rather, it is corrosive to the original game play. Thoroughly dissappointing. The graphics were the same as in the other games, but the story line and game play were just terrible and inferior.

Go to: