bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Avernum 4 - Released on August 22, 2007

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jun 18, 08 5:53 PM
Experience the enormous underworld nation of Avernum, whose shadowy lands are facing horrible peril. Only you can keep your homeland from sliding into anarchy. Free the cities of Avernum from the madness of the black shades, and keep the citizens from killing you when you try to help them. Avernum offers a rich game system with dozens of spells, many character building options, and powerful secret skills to unlock.

jrkelly3
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

Re:Avernum 4 - Released on August 22, 2007

[Post New]by jrkelly3 on Sep 11, 08 8:12 PM
aveyond and aveyond2 are cool games they are rpg like avernum. you can also look at spiderweb website and get the geneforge games which are identical to avernum

[Post New]by SubDave on Sep 23, 08 1:18 PM
I really enjoyed this game. There was a lot of game play packed into it. I was hoping that Big Fish would pick up some more Spiderweb games (or similar games from other designers).

The shorter adventure games are okay, but it was really nice to have a game that went on long enough to really develop the characters.

cat52
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by cat52 on Jan 6, 09 9:33 PM
I'd missed this game in my various forays and it was only recently recommended by another fishie here...so better late than never, maybe, my review ;-)

When HOs are too dim to find
And Rooms has got you in a bind
When Satisfashion's flashed its fash
There's nothing like a Hack-and-Slash

When you find that, suddenly,
You're playing as a girl - who, me?
A lizard's what I want to be!
There's nothing like an RPG

For D&D you are a-trawling?
Gotta do some dungeon-crawling?
BF's got what you have come for
You'll go nuts for Avernum 4

P.S. I know to make this poem scan properly you have to pronounce the game AH-ver-NUM 4 when, by all JRR Tolkien taught us, it should be Ah-VER-num 4 or even AH-vernum 4. So sue me.

kassy481
Guppy
Guppy
142 Posts

[Post New]by kassy481 on Jan 6, 09 9:44 PM
Not sure I read this right but another RPG game that has been missed is "Laxius Force" ....not for people that have ummmmmm delicate sensibilities....the entire time I play it I go..." whom ever wrote this dialog has issues" but it is a fantastic game if you like RPG's.
Happy Gaming All, Kas
p.s...BFG has it.....

cat52
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by cat52 on Jan 7, 09 12:09 PM
kassy481 wrote:Not sure I read this right but another RPG game that has been missed is "Laxius Force" ....not for people that have ummmmmm delicate sensibilities....the entire time I play it I go..." whom ever wrote this dialog has issues" but it is a fantastic game if you like RPG's.
Happy Gaming All, Kas
p.s...BFG has it.....

Yeah, Kas, a couple-few folks here have also recommended Laxius and I will be trying it out, thanks!

cat52
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

So much for Laxius

[Post New]by cat52 on Apr 15, 09 8:59 AM
Late update - BFG does not sell Laxius Force. I imagine they withdrew it because it contains cussing and some "adult" references - that is, if Laxius Power is anything to go by! Fortunately, Laxius Power is free. Unfortunately it's primitive - and I mean it makes Aveyond look like Morrowind in comparison! LOL but hard-core RPGers might want to play it, anyway (hey, it's freeware)...

L2PG
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by L2PG on Jan 6, 10 7:58 AM
SubDave wrote:I really enjoyed this game. There was a lot of game play packed into it. I was hoping that Big Fish would pick up some more Spiderweb games (or similar games from other designers).

The shorter adventure games are okay, but it was really nice to have a game that went on long enough to really develop the characters.

I do not think BF will get any more of the Spiderweb games. I ordered the complete set of Geneforce. I like the quest for items and trying to out battle the enemy.

emmychann
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by emmychann on May 22, 10 8:44 PM
spiderweb said they wouldn't give any more games to the discount portals because the games are so big and take so long to make they need to sell for more than the big fish price, and they don't want to break them up into episodes to make them fit

however if you like games like this i would also suggest eschalon, it's good (but not on BFG)

Ibid
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by Ibid on Jan 11, 11 8:40 PM
Very nice true old-school turn-based RPG.

Initially I was turned off by the video used to show it here on Big Fish and passed on it several times, before finally taking the plunge during an RPG drought. Really wish I would have downloaded this gem sooner.

I definitely epitomize the "old school" RPG generation. I got my introduction to PC RPG's playing the gold box edition of AD&D and Dragonlance games (Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, ect) and then Bard's Tale and Wizardry, among others of that era.

This game definitely harkens back to those days. So much so that even the character icons and character pics are near identical.

Gameplay is very similar to the old gold box RPG's. Lots of exploring and when combat happens you move each character individually. Each character can move so many spaces per turn and you choose an action for them, either melee a creature next to your character, or strategically place them to shoot arrows or cast spells.

It's a massive game though. Probably the largest RPG on Big Fish. Each of the games in the Avernum series is truly epic in size, story, lore, exploration, quests, and gameplay. So the price for it is a steal considering just how much gaming you get with this title. You could easily spend months playing it to its finish.

It can be either as casual or hardcore as you like to play, with an incredible range of skills and abilities to tailor characters to any playstyle you prefer - warriors, archers, thieves, healers, mages, or any combination thereof.

Very open-ended gameplay with no forced paths. Basically "create your party and here's a huge fleshed-out world to play in". Enjoy

[Post New]by longstockinggirl on Apr 9, 13 2:00 PM
I just played Avernum for the 5th? time and stopped in here to see if anyone else still played this Completely Incredible game. Perhaps not. But if ever you read this, Cat52, I loved the Morrowind reference. Gotta be my favorite RPG of all time. Ever.

For those craving more of Avernum and who can't get that on BFG, Spiderweb released the set of all 7 Avernum games together, for a very reasonable price. I found it just today. However, it wasn't on the spiderwebsite, feel free to PM me for details if you are interested.

They also have a release that is out for PC/Mac and iPad - it is relatively new. I just found it earlier today.

Also, if anyone knows of good games like this on BFG that aren't Avernum or Aveyond, please let me know! I agree, I wish BFG had more like this.

Thanks.

Go to: