Awesome Daily Deal

[Post New]by SweetTea87 on Mar 21, 10 9:14 AM
I just joined Big Fish three days ago, and Im addicted! I thought the daily deals would only be second rate games, but I have been pleasantly surprised! The first one arcadia was awful, but these last two HOG games have been pretty cool.

I know that everyone either loves or hates Lost in the City. I think it is pretty cool. I am on level 14, and I really like how you have to actually use the objects. Can anyone suggest to me another game like this?

Edited on 03/21/2010 at 9:43:29 AM PST

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

Re:Awesome Daily Deal

[Post New]by genkicoll on Mar 21, 10 9:26 AM
I agree about Lost in the City - AWESOME game! I have played it all the way through, but didn't own it yet. I am pumped about it being the DD, for I was going to pay full price for it!

This game has an interesting plot, many levels, very long, but keeps the interest. If you want to finish your games in one sitting, this one may not be the one for you

When I first started the game, I wasn't sure it was something I would want to play again, but the further you go, the more interesting it gets. I will definitely play this again.

Don't miss this deal! At least give the demo a try~

peggyjuneybug
Squid
Squid
76 Posts

[Post New]by peggyjuneybug on Mar 21, 10 12:43 PM
I agree. So far I really like this one. It is different from the ones I have been playing but change is good.

Mamalita
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by Mamalita on Mar 21, 10 4:46 PM
I just finished the game. When I first tried the game (on-line at Shockwave) I thought it was awful. I read so many good reports I decided to try the hour trial. When that cut me off, I went and bought the game. My daughter helped me with the very last puzzle. What a finish!

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

[Post New]by genkicoll on Mar 21, 10 4:48 PM
Absolutely! It's a great ending to lead us up to a sequel...

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Mar 21, 10 6:41 PM
Every now and then a game comes along that is so different people either love it or hate it, or don't give it a chance. Like some movies that become "cult films" for a very selective audience who can appreciate their uniqueness. This game is in that category for me.

Oddly, I don't usually care for story games because the writing is usually so poor you want to skip dialogue and get on with it. This one sucked me in. Also, I usually am grabbed by beautiful colorful graphics and this looked so dull, dark, bleak. However, as you go on the graphics do change to extremely clear, well defined and colorful.

I don't normally like adventure click click braintwisters. This is adventure but simplified, and hogs simple, a few at a time to do something which is mostly logic to use and no back and forth getting lost.

Mainly, after the story sucking me in with notes and minimal dialogue, the game is so relaxing and low key. Almost like being in a Twilight Zone, and music touches (which I usually mute) so well integrated to keep up the mood..almost "playfully" suspenseful. I think to play this fast on a timer one would miss the whole mood created, someone is playing with this guy's mind, and ours if we immerse ourselves in sync with it. He is also losing any sense of time, hours or days? A dreamlike quality but he strives to hold on to some sanity to go on. I got so immersed in the la la land mood I even dozed off halfway through, not from boredom, mesmerized.

Like some other poster suggested, if you are advanced and don't want the tasks explained, cover the right sidebar with paper, but please slow it down and appreciate the mood these devs created, the character isn't rushing through his experience, so feel it with him. That's my two cents to really absorb what this little classic is meant to be.

(reminds me why Mahjongg should never be on a timer, defeats the whole purpose of the meditative reason it was created for to begin with, of course the symbols go over our western heads, but those are games meant to wind one down, not wind one up.)

This is the third "out of the box" game lately I've greatly appreciated, with Vampireville (the outrageous humor, a parody one totally misses skipping dialogue) and Mishap Accidental Haunting. All 3 a breath of fresh air.

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

[Post New]by genkicoll on Mar 21, 10 7:44 PM
What a lovely, accurate and descriptive review, puzzledone

You should start your own review thread with this, so everyone will read it

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Mar 21, 10 8:14 PM
Well thank you gen for the compliment, I guess it is purely subjective so glad to see some others in sync with me. Like another game that almost slipped by, Paradise Quest, we should start a Lost in City Appreciation Society thread When I started reviewing old comments on Lost there were many problems, guess there was a later rebuilt, so I was almost turned off to even trial it. From the promo screenshots it looked pretty dreary but nothing else appealing to me lately on new games.

I'm basically a concepts person, and this, like any creative endeavor has to be looked at as a whole package, not bits and pieces, or like I said even the timing is part of the mood. But all the elements are so beautifully woven together it is quite professional and for me a joy. Just not for everybody because we all play games for different reasons or results. I'm just not into trophies and scores and best times and such, so untimed you get more benefits, like hints, skips if you want them and plenty of time to just feel your way through it with the main character. I think he really needed some sleep, and so did I LOL.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Mar 21, 10 8:25 PM
Sweetea - Welcome to the wonderful site and pond. Yes, many other games where you interact with objects in inventory and use them to solve next steps or future puzzles. Look for Adventure or IHOGS, interactive hidden object games when these labels are used in reviews or comments. Those that you find just pieces of objects to put together then use the item somewhere have been tagged FROGS lately, for Fractured objects. Some are very complicated and more advanced, frustrating and easy to get lost on adventures for less advanced (like me). I liked the clear directions in this game which helped me keep the flow. If you are new to this type of interaction, do as I do, find reviews that say Too Easy, too much hand holding etc, okay, I'm not looking for stress and not being able to finish a game. Progress at your own speed gaining experience. Like I said, I avoid adventure games being basically a hidden object fan, but this one fit me perfect.

Enjoy your new "addiction". Try any game free, read comments and see what fits best for you.

EDIT to add, you did ask for suggestions. My first interactive I learned on was Samantha Swift Hidden Roses of Athena. It is quite different, fun, but great learning experience for adventure hidden object game There are 2 sequels but got progressively a bit more complex. I still love to replay it when nothing else to do but wait for a good game. Seemed to be a favorite of many.

Edited on 03/21/2010 at 8:36:14 PM PST

[Post New]by SweetTea87 on Mar 22, 10 7:02 AM
Thanks, puzzledone! I really like games that I can actually finish. I am downloading the demo to Samantha Swift right now!

Another thing I love about Big Fish is how helpful and nice everyone is in the forums. Thanks for being so welcoming!

As, genkicoll said, your review was written quite beautifully. As a college student who is constantly proofreading papers, your grammar was even on point! I have actually been going through all your old posts to read reviews!

Go to: