bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Mystery Tales: Eye of the Fire Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Sep 29, 16 12:29 AM
Domini Games proudly presents the next installment of the Mystery Tales series!

You’ve been called in to investigate the dark nightmares of a young woman. What starts as a simple investigation quickly takes a dangerous turn as a witch from the past comes back to take her prey! Can you uncover old secrets and save the town before it’s too late? Find out in this exhilarating Hidden-Object Puzzle adventure!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Mystery Tales: Eye of the Fire Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 29, 16 1:02 AM
Just a quick comment, not a review: Story is the same old story I have come across many times before, graphics are OK but could have been better, and gameplay is pretty much the same as with other games.

There are achievements and collectables in the form of torture items, and tarot cards, which morph.

There is a Custom mode, and you can set the minimum fill time for both the Hint and Skip to 15 seconds. There is also a choice of a custom and the system cursor.

When an object moves into the inventory, it won't tell you what it is. You have to hover over it to find out what you've got. Several other devs show the name of the object when it moves into the inventory. It might only be a small thing, but to me it's an important thing.

The first HOS I came across was a List with some interaction.

Because I have become more selective and not buy just any old HOG, I won't be getting this one. I was quite bored with the demo, and won't bother with the SE either. But that is just how I feel, others may love everything about this game.

addictedtofish
Guppy
Guppy
139 Posts

[Post New]by addictedtofish on Sep 29, 16 3:08 AM
Totally agree with you Valdy - this is a boring game. I'm kinda glad as think I'm spending too much time on here anyway!

Anged
Guppy
Guppy
137 Posts

[Post New]by Anged on Sep 29, 16 3:59 AM
Gave up after 20 min. Too many short cut scenes interfering with game play.

poggyapoo
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by poggyapoo on Sep 29, 16 4:37 AM
I too will NOT be buying this one........on the grounds that YET AGAIN it involves witchcraft!!

mamajay
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,222 Posts

[Post New]by mamajay on Sep 29, 16 4:50 AM
I think I am getting a bit tired of 'witch' themed games too - there are sooooo many, now! Although some are quite good - Witch's Pranks: Frog's Fortune - always makes me laugh

As for this game, I am quite disappointed at the poor quality graphics in all the cut scenes - they are so blurry! I don't remember the previous games in this series being that bad?

Soo, I guess I will be giving this one a miss too. I didn't buy the one set in Alaska, as that one was just too silly, imho. Hmmm, wasn't she some sort of witch too?

Jen

Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Sep 29, 16 6:56 AM
@mamajay

I now have the urge to play Witch's Prank: Frog's Fortune again! I wish the devs would give us a similar game.

Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
910 Posts

[Post New]by Micha1234 on Sep 29, 16 8:49 AM
@ Valdy, for me the inventory items were labeled, both when I got them and when I hover over them in the inventory.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 29, 16 9:31 AM
Thanks for the info, Micha. Didn't happen for me. After I didn't see a name with the first item moving into my inventory, I especially paid attention to the next items when they went into my inventory, and no name was attached to it while they were floating into my inventory.
And yes, they are always labelled when you hover over them while they are in the inventory, but I didn't get any names while they were transferred into the inventory.

Edited on 09/30/2016 at 12:20:15 AM PST

amazemen
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by amazemen on Sep 29, 16 9:32 AM
Going to give my opinion since I see some don't like the game. For once there is a game I like on this site. I am tired of all the fairy tale rot on this site. I agree with the reviewers. I side with them about the game. Let us have more of this type of game.

Edited on 09/29/2016 at 9:38:33 AM PST

mrm2006
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

[Post New]by mrm2006 on Sep 29, 16 9:39 AM
Hello Everyone! Hope you all are having a great day!

So, Katarina (sp?) has been selected to be a witch destined to burn at the stake? Could be I was so disinterested in the game that I got the storyline wrong?

I had no problems with graphics, music turned off but I do love the sound fx and little nuances like touch a street lamp and it turns on .... just because. Voiceovers were ok. There are 4 modes of difficulty, including 'custom' which doesn't really offer a lot for us to change, making this game playable for any experience level.

You get a task/notes journal, a transportable map which appears easy to use and shows where collectibles are (the hint button does not appear to transport you) and a 'gadget' in the form of eyeglasses that show you the history of something that has happened. I dislike gadgets but can generally manage using them .... but these special glasses are used in ..... every ..... scene. If you get a special 'gadget' why not just use them in 'special' places. Just a 'me' thing.

HOGs were varied .... list with some interaction and finding 'x' number of pieces to fill a silhouette item. An alternate match 3 game is available. Mini games were unique, new and enjoyable. Some offered a choice between 'easy/hard' modes. There were at least 2 types of collectibles (tarot cards, torture chamber items).

My personal notes, which I like to keep to a line or 2 said 'witch burning storyline/colls x 3 (?)/gadget/just 'meh'/CE worthy but not very entertaining'. Guess that says it all. Won't be a purchase for me.

For those who are continuing to follow the story of Katerina (sp?) ....

ENJOY!

rainworm
Herring
Herring
360 Posts

[Post New]by rainworm on Sep 30, 16 3:09 AM
I am with those, who like the game. It is a horror-lite adventure and the witch this time is not the good fairy in disguise with good intentions! Katharina seems to be a woman with the potential for magic, so this long burnt witch gives her powers to her. Katharina is scared, therefore we come in....

Due to the "sale-situation" this is on beta and demo only but I will buy this game. Colors are a bit grainy or shady esp. in cutscenes but otherwise the gameplay is fluent, we have interesting scenes and well drawn characters. I am very happy to have not a fairytale but a decent adventure, hope Saturday's game will be horrific too and we get a decent sale.

Go to: