Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

Isidiada - Comments and Reviews

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Mar 22, 10 12:29 AM
Don't know if a topic will be created but it's nearly 12:30 and don't want to wait around for it so I made one.

Now if you read my reviews you know it takes a LOT for me to out and out pan a game. With this one let me count the ways...

1. Graphics are amateurish, uninspired and very simplistic. Not surprising given *tiny* file size but a surprise these days.

2. Matches can not be made while triggered matches are still happening. This was acceptable 5 years ago, not now.

3. If you run out of time GAME OVER?!? Seriously? Not replay the level, game over. But then there aren't really any levels that I could tell, just a series of the same M3 boards with an Egyptian History question attached to each.

4. ...which brings me to the questions... didn't realize Egypt had "Czarinas"...

5. No Relaxed Mode - that's not yet a given in Match 3s so not too surprised about that given terrible simplicity of this offering. Bare bones coding doesn't lend itself to Modes.

Music was ok and it ran for me. That's the only good I got...

Seriously? This seemed like a passing grade in a game design class at best. NOTHING even contemporary with current Match 3s, let alone innovative or worth while. In 1997 it might have been ok. In 2010, one of the worst games I've played. I am very surprised would release this as the Game of the Day.

Edited on 03/22/2010 at 8:37:48 AM PST

TerryMann
Shark
Shark
10,717 Posts

Re:Isidiada - Comments and Reviews

[Post New]by TerryMann on Mar 22, 10 12:48 AM
This is your basic Match 3 games, if I knew how many levels there were I may consider buying it. The object of the game is to match 3 and underneath certain tiles you will find a letter Z. The letter Z will be assigned to a letter in a box on the top right, which will solve a riddle. The riddle will come out in the beginning of the level. Of course, some of the words I never heard before LOL!!! Also, I don't think there is an option for those that do not like timers. I do like 'em they make the game more challenging. This may help though - while making matches you will spot a few hour glasses that do make a difference in the amount of time left. I hope this review helps!!! Happy Gaming!!!

Chexmixmonet
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,816 Posts

[Post New]by Chexmixmonet on Mar 22, 10 12:55 AM
Thanx for that. I'm not going to even bother dl free trial. Looks suspect anyway.

patnsky
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by patnsky on Mar 22, 10 1:11 AM
Poodlebear,

You are rather kind in this review. The only thing I found ok was the music and if you notice that ok is lower case.

I also was surprised at BF issueing this as a daily release. Maybe as a Daily Deal,, and then only maybe.

owlgirl61
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by owlgirl61 on Mar 22, 10 1:40 AM
Good grief! Any Egyptologists out there? This is quite possibly the most frustrating match 3 game I have ever played. The tiles move incredibly slowly, and you have to click on them rather than slide them. Most annoying is that the timer bar moves more quickly than the tiles.

The riddles are really hard. If you do know the answer you can click on the letters of the answer but make sure you keep an eye on the timer bar when you do so.

I'm deleting this one straight away.

Mojave_Rain
Shark
Shark
10,693 Posts

[Post New]by Mojave_Rain on Mar 22, 10 2:00 AM
I'm so desperate for a new M3 I was going to try it even with all the pans but not once I read this:

and you have to click on them rather than slide them.

Thanks Owlgirl

TerryMann
Shark
Shark
10,717 Posts

[Post New]by TerryMann on Mar 22, 10 2:00 AM
I went ahead and finish my hour demo and noticed the game was quite boring. I would definately have to agree, before I noticed the time was gone waiting for the matches to be over with. That was a waste of time, but I did check and did not see a relax mode - Sorry for those that don't like timers. If you want a game to last long and not because they're a whole lot of levels, how about because waiting for the matches to be over with. I would say just match above, but even then you have to wait and I am not joking. More like Lost of Reefs, Cradle of Rome series and Babylonia are games we would like to see!!!!! Well for me anyways...

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Mar 22, 10 2:12 AM
I lost the will to live playing 15 minutes of this game! Match 3s are one of my fave genres, but this game was not only boringly slow, but also I don't see how a straightforward general knowledge question like 'the former capital of Egypt' becomes a riddle?
Thought the music irritating too. I tried the game twice from the start only so I could reread the instructions as I was convinced I'd missed something. I couldn't fathom how you were supposed to know which symbol had a letter underneath it? Read a comment here that you can click on a letter; don't remember that being explained at the beginning but maybe I missed it.
Maybe BFG didn't look at this game before the release.
The reason I love BFG opposed to many other games sites is that their games are usually head and shoulders above the others; and release TGT long before other sites get the game to sell. Also, it was this kind of junky game I found on other sites that drove me to use BFG only and I ditched my other membership fees.
There have been some exceptional games on BFG of late so can't really complain about the odd duffer!

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Mar 22, 10 2:49 AM
I too refrain from really panning a game, I know somebody really needs the sales in this economy......and I would be surprised if there were 365 new smash games made in a year.....that said.....

I could have more excitement watching molasses pour in winter. And you know I run from timed games like a sudden storm. Not to worry though, this timer does go back up as you click tiles. Yes, click, one at a tiiiiiimmmmeeee...no dragging....wait for them to falllllllllllll then you get more time. I must have played 8 or 10 rounds and had plenty of time. I already knew half the answers to the questions before I started. Except some I couldn't read because of the weird fonts.

There was no page to enter your name before starting so you go right into the first square grid. All were just square so I don't know if any get more complex. I wondered what would happen if I just dozed off and let it time out. OH!! I died, but it said that I was still granted immortality THEN it asked my name. That's good, they may know me when I passed on after embalming or made a mummy. Who knows, I didn't stick around to find out, but the wait wasn't over. Exit is slower than the game and waited forever to get my desktop back.

Maybe you are supposed to feel you are in an ancient world, I mean, playing an ancient game. I've had some like this before, where their timer is in real time (fast) on a slow computer you can't win. Wow, this was the opposite, slow game, fast computer, but I just let me die to not waste anymore of my game time. The promo said "Fast Paced". They're kidding, right? Must mean you can't dump it fast enough. Sorry, try me again tomorrow, I'll play almost anything once, but this was DOA.

TerryMann
Shark
Shark
10,717 Posts

[Post New]by TerryMann on Mar 22, 10 3:33 AM
To Puzzledone or anyone else out there?!!! Or is everyone asleep from the game HA HA!!! Has anyone tried The Lost Inca Prophecy? Is that game any good? I read most of the messages for Isidiada and you all gave pretty good reviews, so I was hoping for a review for that one? On the forum for Carribean Hideaway people gave that game pretty bad/good reviews, I found that game pretty challenging and I did finish it. So there are really different opinions for different games, but you all put the B in Boring where it went for this game. Thanks !!!!

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Mar 22, 10 4:07 AM
TerryMann wrote:To Puzzledone or anyone else out there?!!! Or is everyone asleep from the game HA HA!!! Has anyone tried The Lost Inca Prophecy? Is that game any good?

I really enjoyed The Lost Inca Prophecy. Each of us have games we, as individuals, like or dislike of course, but why not try the trial hour and see how you get on with it?

Suede46
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by Suede46 on Mar 22, 10 4:09 AM
Hi TerryMann,

I have played The Lost Inca Prophecy, and loved it. I am not a big fan of Match 3 games, but this one I did enjoy; it had some Hidden Object parts to it, which is probably why I liked it so much.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Mar 22, 10 4:13 AM
TerryMann, Nightowl on west coast here, still up. I have Caribbean Hideway, many others loved it but too fast for me. Never got past Level 29, the stumbling block for others but fast players went far beyond. It's one that you earn gold and buy buildings on the island, pay workers, stuff that I guess TMers like, I couldn't figure out how to do most of it but kept losing my money anyway. Just demo and get the feel, the puzzles do get progressively complex.

EDIT OOPS now I reread your question, you finished CH? Ok, your the expert her, must be fast. I gave up after 50 tries on L29 and dumped it.

No, Inca Prophesy isn't for me either, the honeycomb grids. May be one you can select straight or hexigon, don't think I even tried it, my eyes and hand are too tuned into straight lines. One that could be very fun, zany, is Tropicabana, but again, honeycomb and I always timed out, some funny animations distract me as well.

My fav M3 is Paradise Quest, fantastic fun gameplay and lots of other stuff to do if you want, can't say enough about it but extremely addictive so forget doing anything around the house or having a life LOL. All time staple is Big Kahuna Reef when you get to 100 and bonus games, and BKR2 Chains, (timer option)bombs and blow your way through - has bonus player designed ones at the end Challenges. Fishdom is good but on a timer, build your aquariums.

Sorry, off topic here. No we're not, talking M3s right?

Oh then there is 4 Elements, matching with fast moving board, includes story, some HOGs and find differences between the 4 "Books", but when I'm in mood for M3 sometimes I don't care for the interruptions when I'm programmed for matching. Of all, I suggest PQuest and BKReef2 Chains. That's why it's hard to believe a game like this turkey has just been released, so retro. Maybe it is old and meant to be on DD list, someone goofed? Happy gaming.

Edited on 03/22/2010 at 4:17:33 AM PST

TerryMann
Shark
Shark
10,717 Posts

[Post New]by TerryMann on Mar 22, 10 4:19 AM
I did try the demo, and I am really not a big fan HOG unless it's something like Go-Go Gourmet. Anyways, I spent almost a 20 min with HOG and I finally got to the Match 3 it was fun. But I wasn't sure how many levels there were. On another site someone mention the game wasn't long at all. So I was hoping someone knew, they also mentioned there was a story to it, others said you need to read the story others said skip it. The match 3 was okay, I was almost getting to like the game before another HOG came out.

katy12250
Minnow
Minnow
227 Posts

[Post New]by katy12250 on Mar 22, 10 4:21 AM
Given the general quality of the new releases, I, too, have to wonder where BF found this one.

1 - doesn't ask for your name
2 - only 2 choices that I could see for the music - on or off - how 70's is that?
3 - tiles moved too slow for words
4 - since when is a question a riddle? Someone using a different dictionary than I have??

I like match 3 games. I trash canned this one after 3 minutes. Played one board and that was more than eoungh to tell me that I didn't like the game.

Poodlebear, excellent review and you were really being too kind to the game.

auntj38
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

[Post New]by auntj38 on Mar 22, 10 4:42 AM
[b] I downloaded the demo.....started to play and ran into tech problems and it shut down the game. After reading the comment's here I am going to uninstall this game. What a shame... disappointing when BF put's out a dud.

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Mar 22, 10 4:50 AM
TerryMann wrote:To Puzzledone or anyone else out there?!!! Or is everyone asleep from the game HA HA!!! Has anyone tried The Lost Inca Prophecy? Is that game any good? I read most of the messages for Isidiada and you all gave pretty good reviews, so I was hoping for a review for that one? On the forum for Carribean Hideaway people gave that game pretty bad/good reviews, I found that game pretty challenging and I did finish it. So there are really different opinions for different games, but you all put the B in Boring where it went for this game. Thanks !!!!
I love Carribean Hideaway and have played it through the 100 levels several times. The Lost Inca Prophecy is also a great game. I think the best match 3 to come out recently is Paradise Quest.

TerryMann
Shark
Shark
10,717 Posts

[Post New]by TerryMann on Mar 22, 10 4:57 AM
To Puzzledone, thanks for your reply yeah I am still up here in the South. Just reading your reply and I did love Big Kahuna Reef and Fishdom great games, so was Unwell Mel awsome games. Don't worry I did get frustrated on Carribean Hideaway, but I did have a good time. Tropicanbana was great until the game messed up on me and it froze on the bonus levels. I am waiting for Customer Service to still take care of that problem for me. Lost of Reefs was great so was Age of Emerald and of course all of Cradle of Rome series. I was really a great TM fan until there were hardly none out anymore. Leeloo's was great but I bought that one a long time ago. Paradise Quest was fun too, I like how there was a map to show you which way to go very different. Like I mention thanks again for your response. I would write to many of these forums and at times some people would answer. Right now I am playing Jewel Match 2 back and forth and typing you. Well if I don't hear from you anymore Good Night and Happy Gaming !!!!!

TerryMann
Shark
Shark
10,717 Posts

[Post New]by TerryMann on Mar 22, 10 5:20 AM
Thanks Lizzie K and Suede great recommendations!!! You all have a great night/morning / I hope to hear from you all soon.

Edited on 03/22/2010 at 5:21:22 AM PST

[Post New]by porambo707 on Mar 22, 10 6:25 AM
I pretty much agree with everyone else and give this one a big thumbs down. Honestly I only played 2 minutes of it and had enough.

Go to: