Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Epistory: Typing Chronicles here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Oct 3, 16 12:41 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 10/03/2016 at 6:35:03 AM PST

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Epistory: Typing Chronicles here.

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Oct 3, 16 6:35 AM
Hello everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Epistory: Typing Chronicles here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Epistory: Typing Chronicles.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBellerophon

moesart
Minnow
Minnow
242 Posts

[Post New]by moesart on Oct 3, 16 11:44 AM
I love this game. Don't really know why. I love to type. I love exploring. The graphics are a little archaic but I like the voice of the narrator. And you don't have to use the directional letters. You can use the mouse instead. MUCH easier to move around.
I bought it.

pfalcioni
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by pfalcioni on Oct 3, 16 1:27 PM
TRY THIS GAME. Seriously, I know it sounds like some goofy "teach your kids to type the fun way" game, but it's so much more than that.

Every so often a game comes along that completely breaks the mold and reminds us why we started playing computer games in the first place.
Usually descriptions and screenshots of games like this don't really appeal, or make the game sound goofy or just weird, but then you play and suddenly an hour is gone like magic because you've been totally immersed in this amazing new world.

These rare game gems find a way to challenge without frustrating, keep you thinking without making your brain hurt, and just make you happy.
Oh my gosh, I LOVE it when developers take a chance and create something like this!

Sure, this game probably won't be for everyone, but that's okay, because it will fit a niche for many that is lacking in the cookie-cutter hidden-object games we see cranked out every day. Honestly, don't read the description or the reviews, just download Epistory and give it a chance. You might be bored or frustrated, or you might find something wonderful, joy-filled, and completely fun.

ojennifer
Guppy
Guppy
167 Posts

[Post New]by ojennifer on Oct 3, 16 4:32 PM
This is a cute game. As you progress the map opens up and a story is read to you as you go along.
moving with the mouse is much easier than using the letters on the keyboard.

my only problem is that it is making me motion sick. the way it swings around is more like an RPG and that is why I don't play those games. but if you don't get ill, it is a cute game.

pfalcioni
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by pfalcioni on Oct 3, 16 7:12 PM
I noticed a few of the formal reviews mentioned that you could only use keyboard controls, which is not true - the mouse works fine to control the avatar.

Secondarily, some people mentioned that the graphics looked chunky or old, but once you realize that everything in this world is made of paper, then the graphics make more sense.

kgustavson
Clownfish
Clownfish
630 Posts

[Post New]by kgustavson on Oct 3, 16 11:09 PM
WOW - ! I love celebrating well done and completely different and boy is this ever it for me! Just love the concept that everything is paper (you're writing a story) and avenues unfold around you as you make progress as you type words but that also includes typing to plant plants, restore your surroundings, etc. Sounds rather dull but it isn't. Fact is, it is rather difficult to explain. The narrator is just great at slowly revealing the story (it really only makes sense if you demo this) . Currently I've been killed by underground fire bugs lurking around the corner that I hadn't noticed, but there is a handy auto-save so I will be back to spelling my way to victory in just a moment!

Really, demo this one fishies!!!

KGDBLU
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by KGDBLU on Oct 4, 16 8:47 AM
Interesting concept, however there are very few instructions i.e. how to open chests, gain more point, etc.

LunaNik
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

[Post New]by LunaNik on Oct 4, 16 9:05 PM
On the game page, I posted a review upon completion of the demo, so I wanted to post a supplemental one now that I've finished the game. So, my review on the game page is more of an overview, while this post gets into more detail.

First, if you play every single world, look for all the secret treasure chests, and activate every battle zone, the full game will take at least 12 hours, if not longer. I played nearly 16 hours, because I explored every world thoroughly.

Aside from the main world, which is called The Bridge, there are eight sub-worlds:
• Burning Hollow - underground world
• Forgotten Forest - forest world
• Drowning Halls - water world
• Ice Mausoleum - ice world
• Creation City - mechanical world
• Crystalline Mine - dark world
• Shattered Isles - air world
• Lost Desert - desert world

You eventually earn four different powers: fire, ice, spark, and wind. Switch between them by typing those words. Some enemies can only be destroyed by a certain element, and some end boss battles are mixed. For example, if you're using fire power and an ice monster with the word "enemy" approaches, you must first type "ice," then "enemy" to switch from fire to ice, then attack the insect.

The difficulty level increases throughout the game. I encountered some insects with words like "multimedia," "schoolteacher," and the like. But don't let that worry you if you're not an accomplished typist! The game has a built-in adaptive difficulty level. If you type more slowly near the beginning of the game, the insects won't approach you so quickly once the words become longer. The game adapts to YOUR skill, not the other way around, so that any level typist can enjoy it.

Additionally, there are upgrades that help you out, which you "purchase" with the points you earn in the game.
• Velocity - increases the speed of your fox
• Intensity - increases the time you're given on a combo
• Knowledge - shows the hidden chests on the map
• Perseverence - lets you start a combo with more time
• Teleport - lets you teleport (on the map) to the entrance of any sub-world
• Knockback - makes your "hits" repel insects away from you

Personally, this is one of the best games I've played in a long time. It's innovative in its design, gameplay, game mechanics, and graphics. I found it challenging and fun, and believe that it has a high replay value, so I definitely recommend it. This one is really difficult to describe; you really have to try the demo to get a feel for it.

sunshinej
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,313 Posts

[Post New]by sunshinej on Oct 6, 16 4:43 AM
What a cute, fun and addicting game. After doing the demo I bought it.

I noticed that using the W A S D keys will have you walking at a diagonal which is nice instead of walking in straight lines all the time.

Yaelle
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,317 Posts

[Post New]by Yaelle on Oct 7, 16 3:28 AM
I have enjoyed the 45 minutes or so that I've played but I have to say I am LOST. There are little to no instructions & what there are are verrrrrry vague & scant. I think I'm lost in this place ...dont even know where or how to describe it, so there's that. I have run out of words to type & lanterns to light & i really dont have a clue of what to do next, and so that is a negative.

But the overall feel of Epistory is relaxing, calm & beautiful even if its title does sound like a medical device or procedure. But I do with the creators of the game had thought to add a bit more instruction.

greendle
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by greendle on Oct 7, 16 7:47 AM
I love this game! Always excited to find something different. This isn't just a typing game, it is also exploring and battling. Great fun!

Karavan
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by Karavan on Oct 7, 16 1:06 PM
I really like this game. It i so different and beautiful. I am playing for the second time now and it is as entertaining as the first one. I know more of what to do now so can relax and enjoy the poetic story. Thanks for a new experience!

MissAbby
Catfish
Catfish
1,709 Posts

[Post New]by MissAbby on Oct 9, 16 2:44 PM
This is one of the best games BFG has offered in ages!! It is fun, challenging and lasts forever. Oh PLEASE offer more games like this one!!

moesart
Minnow
Minnow
242 Posts

LOVE IT

[Post New]by moesart on Oct 11, 16 9:05 AM
i'm stilling loving this game. I was stuck for a bit on the Bridge but made it to shattered isles and achieved the 'wind' power. I don't think I've ever liked a game more. Im sad that I might be done soon but will certainly play it again. Be sure to use the map a lot. It really helps!

Edited on 10/11/2016 at 9:06:24 AM PST

bajacalla
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by bajacalla on Oct 12, 16 7:05 PM
this has to now be one of my favorite games. I love the typing aspect of it, especially for battles, because I can type MUCH faster than I can aim and shoot. I love the origami-style of landscaping, which adds to the whimsical look of the game. for some reason, I never got two upgrades, and I didn't get all the picture segments, but I finished the game after several days, and was very charmed by the ending. I also like the "you cannot die, so try again" aspect, and that alone was enough for me to recommend it for my preteen grandkids. plus, they'll learn to touch type!

IKacey
Clownfish
Clownfish
735 Posts

[Post New]by IKacey on Oct 21, 16 6:20 AM
This was so different and a beautful game. Had a bug or two where the thing just stopped dead for awhile but it eventually popped forward again. Since I love doing origami the whole concept was beautiful and different!

I loved the storytelling as you went and the surprise at the end was terrific! I just hope another of this type of game is in the worksj!

HasNazir
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,264 Posts

[Post New]by HasNazir on Oct 29, 16 4:35 AM
I was bored, not much gameplay,spent most of the time wandering around, which would be OK if I enjoyed the scenery alot and if there was a lot of collecting to do. Good idea but game play was not there for me. The graphics were OK, but I cannot even see this if I brought it as a replayable game for me. I enjoy spending my time, looking at stuff ie Lost Souls Enchanted Paintings, but this didn't have that.

[Post New]by SeaScallop on Oct 29, 16 5:00 PM
Just finished this game and I loved it! Fresh and Unique in every way. The origami background was superb as well as the narration of the story. I applaud the developers, you've done a great job with this!

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Nov 4, 16 7:18 AM
worst game ever

Go to: