puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

Alice's Magical Mahjong DD!!! 3/23/10

[Post New]by puzzledone on Mar 23, 10 5:09 AM
Am I the only one who grabbed this gem? Not even a forum for it yet or posters. Wake up everybody!!

Don't let the title or the kiddie look fool you. I almost passed right by it. Then spent a perfectly delightful hour playing and admiring the excellent artwork and charming fairytale like dreamy music. Very relaxing.

Some HOG scenes are included, pretty simple, find 5 rabbits, or 5 grey mice, so they are short. I admit to having to use a hint, more in trying to take in as much in an hour trial to see what's next.

There is a timer, but from what I see it is going up not down, so probably to see how long you are playing for a score. Looks like about 9 locations on the map, I only finished 2, after HOG you are taken to mahjong, and I think 3 boards to play. The tiles are pretty, colorful, not traditional symbols but the layouts are traditional and not short like kids' stuff but fun. This was all on Menu Play. Some short storyline to read or continue, and girl's voice narative. I had a hard time understanding her, Brit accent and didn't have speakers on very loud.

I saved enough time to check out other play Options. Classic, you get about 108 great looking mahjong layouts to choose any you wish to play and go right into those games without the HOG story. Have to assume that because I didn't have time to finish a long one I selected.

There is an Editor, there you can create your own mahjong boards to play your originals.

So there is a LOT to do and play with for all ages. I'd say a must to add to any Mahjong collection, if only for the sheer colorful beauty and mood. It's the kind of game that if I had young kids I'd want them to play. Maybe that is a mistake a lot of parents make, kids are bored but parents can have a good time and not feel they wasted money for the wrong toy. The child in my heart pouted when hour was up and said please please can we keep it? You bet!! And if not a Daily Deal I'd given a game credit gladly. I said "IF". LOTS of replay with this one if you like beautiful mahjongs and quality.

Yesterday we couldn't believe the TGT to be featured was a disaster. And today I can't believe this mahjong isn't featured full price. Hope someone didn't get them mixed up and put the wrong one on DD . Or is this to make up to a lot of disgruntled gamers after the Egyptian M3 crawl? Treat yourself this time, it sure cheered me up and no tech problems either, playing on 4 year old XP, 15" screen.
4 of 5

JoyWales
Clownfish
Clownfish
728 Posts

Re:Alice's Magical Mahjong DD!!! 3/23/10

[Post New]by JoyWales on Mar 23, 10 5:34 AM
yes it is a nice game, I found it some months back. My grandson was watching me play Mahjong and I wanted something he would enjoy playing himself and maybe later on, his young brother. Will take another look at it as my membership on the other site expires soon and they won't be able to play it after that. Don't mind paying DD price for them but no more as kids are fickle with their games, buy one and something else catches their fancy.

Joyfullady
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,498 Posts

[Post New]by Joyfullady on Mar 23, 10 5:48 AM
Thanks for the suggestion Puzzledone!

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Mar 23, 10 7:57 AM
Bumping today's DD posts up before it drops off pages.

Was going to join my post with the other thread started but there are already other comments posted so can't move it. Maybe when mod starts a game forum for it.

Diana_Mc
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by Diana_Mc on Mar 23, 10 8:05 AM
I've had it for a long time and found it enjoyable. The tiles are large and clearly marked, something that is a plus at times .

Those mini grames aren't as easy as you'd think either!

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Mar 23, 10 8:14 AM
Yes, I loved the tiles. Is a good game to teach a child how to play. But so easy on the eyes and pleasant it's perfect for my old pair of eyes, no strain. And so colorful.

Didn't get farther after second location set so don't know about the other mini puzzles. But I even had to use a hint on the first HOG, only 5 items to find and I couldn't find the last bunny LOL. I guess there is a hog then 3 rounds of mahjong at each of 9 locations? But the replay value is in the other option choosing any board and evidently you can access those without finishing the story version, I did and was playing a long one when hour stopped. So had to buy it

[Post New]by Mimiunderthesea on Mar 23, 10 8:32 AM
Thanks Puzzledone for the review!
Your right, I passed it by. I'm going to try it now.
Your review was very well written.
Thanks again.

Edited for spelling....pouring another cup of tea

Edited on 03/23/2010 at 8:45:32 AM PST

Doggy_lover
Herring
Herring
375 Posts

[Post New]by Doggy_lover on Mar 23, 10 8:39 AM
I'll have to try this out, I also passed it by. Thanks!

bfgZambezi
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,858 Posts

[Post New]by bfgZambezi on Mar 23, 10 9:52 AM
Hey Fishies,

Since we already have a full game forum for Alice's Magical Mahjong, I've gone ahead and moved this thread over just to keep Chit-Chat nice and tidy.

To find the forum for any game, just click on "All Game Forums" at the top of this page, and type in the game title you're looking for.

Feel free to continue the discussion in the full game forum by clicking here.

Happy gaming!

-bfgZambezi

[Post New]by Mimiunderthesea on Mar 23, 10 10:31 AM
I really liked this game!
Is a bit jerky on my Windows 7 basic on HP Netbook. But could be my anti-virus/firewall issues, will be checking it out. It is still very playable though.

Meisie84
Guppy
Guppy
134 Posts

[Post New]by Meisie84 on Mar 23, 10 3:19 PM
I agree...wasn't sure that I even wanted to try it, but enjoyed my hour so much , I'm off to buy love me a game of Mahjongh before bed
Can I stick to just one though....

TerryMann
Shark
Shark
10,717 Posts

[Post New]by TerryMann on Mar 23, 10 6:00 PM
Hey puzzledone if you are around answer me. I private message you, so please check your messages. Thanks

[Post New]by orlandomiki on Mar 23, 10 8:25 PM
I've had this game for a long time and love it as does my 5 year old granddaughter..If you like this kind of game be sure and scoop it up.....

kevabear
Lobster
Lobster
88 Posts

[Post New]by kevabear on Mar 23, 10 11:36 PM
I'm loving this game. Glad it was on the daily deal because I might not have found it otherwise. The graphics are so enjoyable, along with the mini games and other fun things. If you missed it on daily deal it's most certainly worth a game credit!
Thanks BF!

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Mar 29, 10 10:28 AM
I downloaded the demo when it was the DD, but just had a chance to play it. For some reason I was thinking it was one of the releases for the day. I really, really wish I hadn't missed it! Still, I have absolutely no problem purchasing it for $6.99. It is such an adorable little game! I had thought it was only another Mahjong game, but it is so much more. The graphics are adorable, the music is pleasant, and I love the addition of hidden object scenes. I found myself wanting to listen to the narration of Alice, whereas usually I just skip the dialogue. The voices were also very pleasant. This game would be good for kids or adults. Very relaxing and enjoyable and definitely on my next to purchase list.

krissywillow
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,084 Posts

[Post New]by krissywillow on Mar 29, 10 10:44 AM
I didn't try it when it was the DD because I didn't think I was into card games (and mahjong is definitely not a fave of mine).

Now I wish I had checked it out because I've been playing Fairie Solitaire a LOT (I got that as a DD). Fun to play when I want somethign big, bright, and easy, that requires no brain drain.

I may have to try Alice's even now that it's not on sale.

Thanks for the recs.

Go to: