Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Phantasmat: Reign of Shadows Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Oct 6, 16 12:56 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 10/06/2016 at 8:44:33 AM PST

bfgPanthalassa
Flounder
Flounder
2,450 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Phantasmat: Reign of Shadows Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by bfgPanthalassa on Oct 6, 16 8:43 AM
Hello everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Phantasmat: Reign of Shadows Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Phantasmat: Reign of Shadows Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgPanthalassa

rainworm
Herring
Herring
360 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Phantasmat: Reign of Shadows Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by rainworm on Oct 6, 16 10:03 AM
Not much resonance here up to now! But having played the beta, I knew, this would be a good game.

Phantasmat is a series Eipix took over and the games have kept quality, all have a good scary atmosphere and the stories are suiting. With this game we have really good puzzles and creative HOS in addition!

Though there is no real sale (yesterday's code worked) I couldn't resist and got this game. So I will come back and say more, when I finished it.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Oct 6, 16 3:23 PM

Dark, Darker, and Darkest

Your father Dominic Grant has recently died and you must notify your estranged sister Valerie. Val is employed by the eccentric Dr. Edward Corvine at the remote Arcadia Resort doing something.. er, mysterious. Upon arrival, your eyes seem to be seeing strange things in the shadows. But what could go wrong, right?

What is immediately apparent is that, unlike other recent releases in this series, in every sense this game is true to its Phantasmat DNA. The atmosphere is creepy, the characters are quirky, and the story is just "edgy" enough to make you want to believe it is really happening.

The scenes are dark and show a lot of contrast while using a fairly broad color palette. The voice acting is about as good as can be expected - it is difficult for actors to sound quirky without going too far and sounding silly. In my opinion they were successful, at least in the demo period.

The game play was good as well. The first puzzle (there are 19) was a little disappointing, but a later puzzle which required moving a figure through a multi-level maze was much better. However, it might have been better later in the game because it takes a good deal of time to solve. HOPs are mostly good too (there are 13), but in one silhouette-style HOP the list was far too small to identify what you are looking for.

Play can be fully customized: glitter, sparkles as well as the plus item indicator can be turned off.

CE Extras - besides the bonus game and strategy guide there are 21 morphing objects (with indicator) which become diary pages, 12 achievements, souvenir room, match-3 game, and the usual other pseudo extra stuff.

If you like creepy games, I recommend you get this one. Also, if you are a newer player, don't miss the original Phantasmat - and be sure to play them both in a very well lit room.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Oct 6, 16 4:07 PM
Hi friends! As usual, I review mostly on the game play and not the story line, as others do a much better job of that than I. Well, unless my count is off, this is #7 in this series. Of course, I have them all. Graphics are well done, but some of the colors seem a little "fuzzy," which makes the graphics seem the same. On the whole, they are well done. Yes, there are blues in this one as well, but they are not over-powering. At least the cut scenes are not blurry as they have been in some games lately, and the flow between scenes is very well done. Game play was excellent, with no problems during the demo. Voices are well done, with some fear, curiosity, urgency, and our "bad guy" doctor has quite the sinister voice as well. Really like the sound FX, which include the sounds of a winter storm, e.g. cold winds.

HOPs are extremely well done. You have a variation of interactive lists, highlighted words, morphing items and interactive silhouettes. Scenes are clean and clear and items are not difficult to find. I did not see that you could switch to something else, but with the variation, you really don't need to. Puzzles are challenging without being overly difficult. They do take some time and thought to complete. This is a very nice change from our last few games. The hint system is quite helpful and it does transport to longer locations. The jump map also saves you time, but I found it to be rather bland and boring. I prefer maps that not only list the area name, but show the area picture as well. Makes thing much clearer for a "visual" person. I was disappointed in how the story was unfolding, not the story itself, but what and why things were happening. We got only very small bits and pieces of the story as we went along, but maybe it picks up as the game progresses.

Collectibles were a little disappointing as well, but nicely done. We only need to find 21 morphing items. They morph in for about 6 seconds and out for about the same amount of time. They are not as easy to spot as you may think, so be on the look out.

The opening scene is very well done and draws you in almost immediately. I like how you have an interesting variety of items to use in the games and not just the standard paperclip and screwdriver. I don't give 5 stars easily, a game must be exceptional in every way to get that many. Even though this game is very well done, it didn't get 5 from me, simply because of the few things I listed above, but it does come close. That said, I like this addition to this series and I think most all levels of players will agree. Yes, I am going to add this one to my every growing collection of CE games.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

greenshade
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by greenshade on Oct 7, 16 9:53 AM
Fingers crossed for a GOOD sale for club members on Sat. because I really want to get this game!!

From the beta I remember that great and innovative use of inventory items (not your usual tweezers to retrieve something) and good hos (and not your usual Eipix fare)!

rainworm
Herring
Herring
360 Posts

[Post New]by rainworm on Oct 7, 16 1:10 PM
Just finished main and bonus game!

1. Very good game. Not in the least the usual stuff, but a good scary spooky atmosphere, creative HOS and good puzzles.
2. Story is weird but good and "imaginable"
3. If you do not care for replaying puzzles, HOS ... the main game is "sufficient", means, for me the bonus game didn't add much to the experience

But I can only recommend the game!
What I do not understand is this update. Which text will be changed????

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Oct 7, 16 4:52 PM
I'm not sure how I would rate this game. I love the series, and have all of the games - the first one being the absolute best, IMO, but this one has me up in the air. I think it must be me because I don't see anyone else mentioning my problems. It's that the direction of the game is unclear, and the actions are sometimes illogical. I noticed that when I played the beta, which I didn't finish because of it. OTOH, after playing a bit of the demo, I purchased it.

I like the story line and definitely want to know what is going to happen next, even if it's a surprise that is going to make me jump (again). Graphics are good. Characters are interesting. It's more of an 'in your face' spookiness than the dismal and ominous atmosphere of the first, but that's OK. So I both like and dislike the game. My dislike will not stop me from finishing the game! Perhaps it's me that is unclear and illogical?

Editing to say: I'm in the last chapter and I will finish the game only because I'm so close to the end. The illogical play and the hard to see bits in some of the HOs, and the general lack of clarity make this a challenging game, but not in a good way. I have played all the previous games at least twice (the first one four or five times), but if I can claw my way through this one, it will be put in the category of: Good grief! Don't even TRY to play this ever again. I'm so disappointed in this game. I don't even care much what happens to my sister, or any of the other characters.

Edited on 10/09/2016 at 7:48:59 AM PST

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Oct 8, 16 2:20 AM
Disappointing. Typical Eipix fare with nothing special to make it stand out from all their other games. Nice enough graphics as usual, some slight variations to the same old Eipix HOS, a puzzle that took much of the demo time to complete but was excellent, extras nothing to shout about and a story set in a town where nothing works. Add in a hotel manager who seemed scared of his own reflection, together with a creepy voice on the end of a telephone and you have a game I stopped playing after about 30 minutes (and most of that time was spent on the puzzle).

Eipix games are in need of a makeover; they've become so similar it's hard to tell one series from another. I'm passing on this CE.

No technical issues in the short time I played. Desktop running Win7 Prof 64-bit.

Edited on 10/08/2016 at 2:21:59 AM PST

Elirana
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by Elirana on Oct 8, 16 6:29 AM
Awful game. Dark, dismal, depressing, disjointed, disappointing.
None of it made sense to me. There was no continuity. Couldn't zoom into several puzzles and had to squint to see what was wanted. I HATE fighting and arcade puzzles. Skipped most of them and seems a waste of my money. This game certainly was.

Elirana

jdylea
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by jdylea on Oct 8, 16 4:05 PM
This is not a new game, it's a new title for an old game. I've played this game before. This is the second time I have come across this.
It's like books, they put another cover on and then release it and you buy and find out you have already read this.

jan1949
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by jan1949 on Oct 10, 16 7:20 PM
I agree with jdvlea -- I know this is a game I have already played. I actually Beta tested the Phantasmat: Reign of Shadows this past July and this is not it. Very strange.

jan1949
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by jan1949 on Oct 10, 16 7:20 PM
I agree with jdvlea -- I know this is a game I have already played. I actually Beta tested the Phantasmat: Reign of Shadows this past July and this is not that game. The Beta had a lot of dark shadows, was dark and creepy, and the mini games were difficult. Very strange.

Edited on 10/10/2016 at 7:25:11 PM PST

nextgengranny
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by nextgengranny on Oct 12, 16 6:45 AM
This game looked like it had so much promise, & I was genuinely excited at the outset. Unfortunately, by mid-game, all I seemed to be doing was using the map to jump hither, thither, & yon, looking for I knew not what. I rated this game 3.5 on the sales page because I do feel this dev has been working to make their HO scenes & mini-games more interactive & varied. That said, no amount of good HO scenes & mini-games can make up for the game itself beginning to drag by so miserably before you're even halfway through. This is the first time I can recall that I had no interest whatsoever in following-up the main game w/ the bonus chapter; I was really just tired of it by the time I reached the end. That was about a week ago (I bought & played this the day it came out), & I've felt no desire to revisit it since. I'm not making unfavorable comparisons to other games in the series, as I've only ever purchased one other...just judging the game on it's own merits, & overall, I can't really recommend it unless you've a high tolerance for progressing at a snails' pace.

uglyteacup
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by uglyteacup on Oct 15, 16 1:35 PM
Downloaded the trial and not bought blindly (I have all the others in the series) because of the negatives on this game board and played 1/2 hour. I can see their points, so I'm hesitant with purchasing even with the currently offered sales discount. Who wants to be penny wise and pound foolish. So I'll wait patiently for other opinions to come in before making up my mind.

Much thanks ahead of time, fishies.

Yours truly, Uglyteacup.

Bartsister
Clownfish
Clownfish
710 Posts

Re: Please post your REVIEWS for Phantasmat: Reign of Shadows Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Bartsister on Nov 3, 16 8:47 AM
Based on completed game and bonus

Wow! For me, this has been the best Phantasmat in a long time! Absolutely loved this one.

I thought the story was fun. I don't want to spoil anything, but there were some twists and turns that kept my interest and made me want to see where it was going to go next. It is on the darker side and gave me a couple of minor jumps.

If you don't like bugs, this game will probably bother you a bit. I hate them and was trying to avoid watching then scurry around all the scenes. Ick! But it was appropriate for the mood so I persevered.

I thought the challenge level was great! There were some very challenging mini-games in the main and bonus as well as some simpler ones, so the pace of the game varied as you played. HOPs were also varied in style and there were few straight HOP scenes.

Because of the challenge level, I thought the length of game was very good. Sometimes I find Eipix games on the short side, but I did not feel that way with this one.

Extras? I really enjoyed the random morphs in the main scenes rather than in the HOPs and having them replace the straight collectibles. We even got a special bonus - a journal at the end! I miss journals. If you collect all the morphs, you can read 21 pages of the evil Dr. Corvine's journal and find out what exactly he was trying to make with that beastie. I didn't quite get the whole goal until I read it. Story loving gamers hopefully will like this aspect.

The bonus was good length and a nicely developed add-on that brought the past and future together quite creatively, I thought.

I really recommend this game to people looking for more challenge and enjoy walks on the dark side.

Go to: