bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Comments and Reviews for The Enchanted Kingdom: Elisa's Adventure

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Mar 24, 10 2:19 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of The Enchanted Kingdom: Elisa's Adventure? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Hope to hear from you!

bfgFlounder

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

Re:Comments and Reviews for The Enchanted Kingdom: Elisa's Adventure

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Mar 24, 10 3:38 AM
After the debacle of the unmentionable Egyptian themed Match 3 of a couple mights ago my expectations weren't high. So surprise surprise! This is a funny little game, vaguely Nevosoftesque in it's quirky characters and story line, but just jammed packed with things to do.

A hybrid of Match 3, builder games and HOG there's lots going on. In fact that is kind of a problem, albeit a happy one, because instruction is minimal and I only really began to sort things out by clicking different places and seeing what happened. Like most builders there are tasks involving city development and materials management. The resources are gathered by Match 3 (chain and swap style both) boards and by the buildings already built. There are also quests which have you interacting with characters and completing Hidden Object scenes which can also give you inventory items to be used later. There are also some mini-game puzzles in HOG scenes. I'm not sure how all of this knits together after 50 minutes of the demo, but I knew I was having fun and didn't want it to end.

Graphics are simple but bright and pleasant. There's a timer but it counts up and I saw no impact for longer, or for that mater, shorter time, so maybe just for people who likes to beat their own time? Unsure about that. There's lots of room for power-ups at the bottom of the M3 boards but I only ran across 2 so far. TONS of hints are earned in both M3 and HOG scenes and can be used in either. Oh, and a nice surprise, beautiful music!

So lovely, enjoyable game which hopefully has no quick-click or timed elements lurking later on. As experienced so far it's Poodlebear Approved!

1010elisa
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by 1010elisa on Mar 24, 10 3:56 AM
How weird. My name is Elisa!!! time to play

Diana_Mc
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by Diana_Mc on Mar 24, 10 6:12 AM
I played the whole hour which hasn't been the norm lately. It does seem to suffer from a lack of instructions. By the end, I think I had a somewhat better idea of what I was supposed to be doing.

There seem to be a lot of chaining match games and, not only am I bad at these, they are bad for my hand. Maybe it was me, but I couldn't find a consistent way to move the dialog along. There is a skip button but surely that's not it?

Last (and this seems to be a new thing with other games), I can't stand it when the mouths just move to supposedly simulate speech.

All in all, though, it was a much better game than I had expected. I might buy it on special if I didn't suspect that overall it would be a bad one for my arm/shoulder problems. (I felt the need to tilt my head for that tilted board!)

Oh - and they also ding you if you misclick on their bad artwork . Give it a try though. I would have enjoyed it more if it had been set up a bit differently and those things may not be issues for you.

KitKat5169
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,099 Posts

[Post New]by KitKat5169 on Mar 24, 10 8:36 AM
Since Poodlebear has given a great description of the game, I'll just add that it's a really cute game and I thoroughly enjoyed the hour demo. Will be a buy for me.

SeaMoon
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by SeaMoon on Mar 24, 10 9:04 AM
I played the game for the demo hour and enjoyed it. I will keep on my list of "maybes". It was a mix of several different types of games and that was fun and it had characters that were very funny. I just talked myself into buying it.

stone07
Koi
Koi
68,662 Posts

[Post New]by stone07 on Mar 24, 10 9:26 AM

Lots of things to do and see - made the demo time go very fast. Art well done. I skipped all the dialogue. (Usually do - really don't care about the story line.) Game ran well with no hitches. Music pleasant enough.

Hints are limited but refilled at an exuberant rate. Seldom needed to use one. Timer never seemed to run out and I was very slow with the M3 on its side!

Definitely on my list - I can't remember if I need another game on my punch card and/or I will save it for next month's credit. (Budget limits me total of 6/month)

For a month that started very slow, it certainly has ended up with a bang with the two Alice and Wonderland games yesterday

Thanks

mcquigan
Clownfish
Clownfish
726 Posts

[Post New]by mcquigan on Mar 24, 10 9:43 AM
I am really enjoying it.
It took me a while to figure out that on the match 3s you only needed to get the ones in yellow, I was getting frustrated before that.
I've never played a tm, so this should be interesting!

Anam_Craite
Guppy
Guppy
140 Posts

[Post New]by Anam_Craite on Mar 24, 10 9:55 AM
What a pleasant surprise! This game mixes so many genres...match 3 (both swap and drag mechanics), building, HOG and puzzles. And although the instructions do lack a bit, I still found the game to be fairly intuitive with a bit 'exploring' (and that's coming from someone who is a beginner with building games). I like the fact that your not being led or hand-held through the list of tasks you have to complete in each stage so you're free to accomplish them in the order you wish.

A big bonus to this game is that I found that hints gathered throughout the game can be used in any area regardless of where the hints were collected. In other words, hints collected in a HOG scene can be used on a match 3 board or a puzzle and vice versa. I don't think I've come across that in any other game...very well done!

Although the graphics aren't particularly great, I think the game play more than makes up for it. I prefer this any day over a game that offers great graphics but lacks in the game play.

I have been holding back on games this month (miserable economy ) but my hour demo flew by and was so disappointed when it ended that I'm going to happily run off to buy it now .

Edited on 03/24/2010 at 9:57:14 AM PST

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on Mar 24, 10 10:14 AM
I am also enjoying this quirky hybrid game. It took me a while to realize that by clicking on the town icon, all kinds of things to build and do open up. (Until then, I was collectiong a lot of logs, but they wouldn't turn into boards until I found how to build the sawmill.)

I especially enjoy the little mini-games, each different so far.

Someone asked how to make the dialog move along. A double click (either slow or fast) will get to the next screen.

Have seen only two types of match-3 so far (a pretty standard hex chaining game, and a nicely different V-shaped exchange-to-match), but since one gets you logs and the other rocks, I figure there might be more variety to come for other resources.

Once you build the store, you can buy different powerups (or more of the same). I love that, because I generally don't like powerups, but enjoy being able to use the hammer to get rid of that one tile that always seems to remain unmatchable.

I'll call this one Lisa-approved with . It might earn a third flower depending on how it goes along. Edit: Having played it to the end, I'll award it the third flower for a game I will enjoy replaying.

Edited on 03/28/2010 at 12:42:47 PM PST

catlynn54
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by catlynn54 on Mar 24, 10 10:27 AM
This is a wonderful game! Many different genres combine to make it always different-match-3, HOG, building, puzzles....... subtle humor in the dialogue is hilarious! I bought it after playing 10 minutes! The music is Celtic-inspired and a joy to hear. This is a five-star game for me. True, there is little guidance as to what to do, but that lets you be free to amble through the game as you wish. Click icons and see what happens. Having the match 3 broken up with other genres is refreshing; I love match 3 but it can become tedious after a certain period.Not in this game! Rebuild a kingdom, have fun.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Mar 24, 10 11:43 AM
This is the first game I really like this week! It combinates four gamegenres: match 3, puzzles, hog and building. I think it has also a great replay value and a good gamelength. I have only finished the first two cities and the game has 12 cities (places) !

Edited on 03/24/2010 at 3:29:27 PM PST

Smallhaven
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
42,220 Posts

[Post New]by Smallhaven on Mar 24, 10 12:27 PM
I wasn't expecting much with mediocre graphics but found the hour demo went by seemingly quick. And I was enjoying myself. For that and the reasons already posted above... on this hybrid game.

Sante001
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by Sante001 on Mar 24, 10 12:51 PM
Smallhaven wrote:I wasn't expecting much with mediocre graphics but found the hour demo went by seemingly quick. And I was enjoying myself. For that and the reasons already posted above... on this hybrid game.

I ditto these comments. I wasn't expecting much at all. But the one hour demo went by very quickly for me as well. The hidden objects along with the M3 was enjoyable. Surprise-Surprise. This game gets my approval! --

Edited on 03/28/2010 at 12:46:35 PM PST

JessF
Clownfish
Clownfish
773 Posts

[Post New]by JessF on Mar 24, 10 1:16 PM
I'm clearly in the minority since I only lasted 15 minutes.

I hated having 'bad clicks' counted - especially since I found the non-custom cursor extremely picky and I had to be very precise.
The lack of instructions was frustrating.
I had to double (sometimes triple) click to get a character to say anything so the cut scenes were annoying and very slow.
I don't like TMs or building games so the mix of genres is not for me.

Glad so many folks are enjoying it though.

Jess

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Mar 24, 10 1:20 PM
As far as the lack of instructions goes, if you click on "help" on the main menu it will give you all the information you need.

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Mar 24, 10 1:25 PM
I think this is a sweet, quirky little game. One of my favorite match-3 games last year was Cindy's Travels: Flooded Kingdom, and this game is reminiscent of that one for me in that it gives you a variety of things to do and provides a cute storyline as well.

vonniefaye
Herring
Herring
325 Posts

[Post New]by vonniefaye on Mar 24, 10 1:26 PM
well, JessF, I am writing this because I, too do not like the game. After reading all the glowing reports, I was quite hesitent about being the only naysayer, but since you broke the ice, I will jump in the pond, too. I, too had a lot of trouble getting the people to talk. Had to click on the speech bubbles several times. The match 3 games had, many times no 3 matches. I would leave the scene, and then go back in, sometimes several times before I could get any matches. I still don't quite know what the heck I was doing most of the time. But, like you, I am happy for all the fishies who love the game. Different strokes for different folks, ya know.

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Mar 24, 10 1:29 PM
Vonniefaye, I thought at first that there were no matches left when in fact there were some; I discovered that I was mistaken by clicking on a sphere to get a hint about the next move (and indeed there was one). Did you try getting a hint for the next move?

krissywillow
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,084 Posts

[Post New]by krissywillow on Mar 24, 10 1:56 PM
vonniefaye wrote:well, JessF, I am writing this because I, too do not like the game. After reading all the glowing reports, I was quite hesitent about being the only naysayer, but since you broke the ice, I will jump in the pond, too.

Vonnie, please never hold back on giving neutral or negative reviews!!! Even if everyone else likes a game, it's SO HELPFUL to hear from everyone including those who don't.

I haven't tried this game yet but just wanted to jump in and say this. Thanks for posting your thoughts on the game.

Go to: