Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Maze: The Broken Tower Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Oct 8, 16 12:36 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 10/08/2016 at 7:56:16 AM PST

bfgPanthalassa
Flounder
Flounder
2,450 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Maze: The Broken Tower Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by bfgPanthalassa on Oct 8, 16 7:55 AM
Hello everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Maze: The Broken Tower Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Maze: The Broken Tower Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgPanthalassa

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Maze: The Broken Tower Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Oct 8, 16 4:04 PM
Hi friends! Well, we have #2 in this series. I review mostly on the game play and not the story, as others do a much better job of that than I. The graphics are really well done in this one, very clear. Colors are pretty much gray and dreary, but then again, you are in a very old abandoned building without a whole lot of light. Game play was very good, but I did notice a little lag when picking up an item, or moving to another location. Not a whole lot of "skip" areas either. Voices are very well done, especially the computer. This story is very different from what we have been getting. Yes, it is the "spooky" sort, but the story is different. Music isn't much and neither are the sound FX. This one could have been very edge of your seat with the right sound FX.

HOPs are a variety of highlighted words, interactive lists and place items in the scene. They are fairly clean and clear and items are not difficult to find. You do need to find morphing items in the HOPs. The morph is not one of those that jumps off the page at you, it is much more subtle and very smooth. Puzzles are also a variety of very simple and very thought provoking. They aren't really difficult, but I found one that was quite frustrating. The jump map is helpful, since you don't have the transport feature in this one. I did not care for the map...too bland. I prefer actually seeing the location, with the location name. SG is the same as all the others and collectibles are clearly shown if you need help.

The only collectibles are 28 symbols. They aren't all easy to find, but most are. I was very disappointed in this, as this game needed more.

I beta tested this one quite some time ago. The one thing I did like about this game is the ability to choose which direction you want to go, e.g. stay, jump, etc. That choice determines what happens to you and it isn't always pleasant. This story is definitely more sci-fi than ghosts and mayhem. It is different, not really challenging, moves a bit slowly, but it was interesting. I'm on the fence about this one. Although I do have the need to find out who's running the computer and why, I just don't feel it is CE worthy. I may change my mind when the SE comes out, but for now, I will put it in my puddle and wait. This is a good game for those of us who just want a different story and not a lot of challenge.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you are looking for. Thanks for the reviews.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Oct 9, 16 6:16 AM
I adored the first game in what appears to now be a series. One of the creepiest and most suspenseful games I have ever played, MadHead became my favourite developer overnight! Naturally I was really looking forward to this sequel but the 'creep' factor has turned into the 'cringe' factor to such a degree, it's actually quite disturbing. Listening to a man crying out for help as a drill nears his skull isn't my idea of suspense; it's verging on torture

The premise of the game is excellent; a beautiful but abandoned building is due for demolition and you are there to help with making sure the job is completed on schedule. Unfortunately an artificial intelligence has taken over the building (or so it appears) and subjects you to a series of 'tests', some of which have very dire consequences if you don't comply with certain rules. You have to make decisions which determine your fate but fortunately you can change the outcome if you make the wrong choice.

Excellent clear graphics but mostly dreary surroundings without much light. You get some handy night vision goggles though, which are used quite a bit. HOS are varied and include a morphing item. Puzzles are very good and can take some time to complete. The map is disappointing; locations are not labelled but simply sparkle when there is something to do, however it will transport you. Collectibles are spiral symbols which aren't always easy to see. Extras are the usual from this developer and the SG is well presented.

I bought the game based on the demo but I found myself getting bored with it about half way through. The droning voice of S.A.R.A. became irritating very quickly and some of the scenes (like the man and the drill) verged on sadism. It all became very depressing after a while; not even suspenseful, just cringe-worthy. It's a good game if you like that sort of thing but personally I couldn't wait to get back to something more light-hearted. I would say it's best played over a few days rather than all at once, to give yourself a break away from all the nasty bits.

I had no technical issues with neither the demo nor the full game. Desktop running Win7 Prof 64-bit.

Edited on 10/10/2016 at 5:44:17 AM PST

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Oct 9, 16 9:52 AM
This is an amazing game - so different - so innovative. I agree with the others: the subject matter is so dreary and depressing. But I bought it because at last we have something different. The puzzles are creative. And yes, I do so miss the 'dream day' and agatha christie' series. I would love to see a heart-warming, gentle game again. But kudos to the developers. Serious effort has gone into this and it pays off.

yelwbkrd35
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by yelwbkrd35 on Oct 11, 16 7:29 PM
Bravo MAD HEAD!!! I stayed up very very late tonight to finish the game. Loved every minute. Game of the year!!!!! I have a suggestion tho.. Please post a warning of the psychological intensity with the main game page. Certain areas did disturb me yet that is a kudos to how well this game was produced. When i had to tell myself that this is only a game, that is how effective every area was. Graphics 5++ story 5++ music 5+++++. Will be waiting for the next installment.

RasmusB
Guppy
Guppy
199 Posts

[Post New]by RasmusB on Oct 12, 16 1:25 PM
A masterpiece. Simply put. The best HOPA game ever. Brilliant use of music. And some of the smartest gameplay I have ever witnessed. Bought on the spot.

kandinsky
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

DARK AND SHALLOW AND PLAYING WITH SADISM

[Post New]by kandinsky on Oct 12, 16 4:25 PM
well from the subject head you will see this will not be a very positive review in the end but first let me say ...
This is may favorite developer, for the cadenza games (partly because I am a lover of jazz clubs) and for their general reaching for inventiveness or the at least appearance of freshness.
so I bought this game
and it is state of the art no less but also no more, there is nothing new here that I can see but what this developer does well the giving of the appearance of the new.
nothing wrong with smoke and mirrors.

the plot, I have not finished the game but have gotten to a point where I will likely slow down or stop play ...
where a guy is strapped down and execution by drilling in his skull which will leave him dead in 15 minutes has initiated
ARE WE HAVING FUN YET?
... a little dark?
before that there was the guy hanging spreadeagled from the ceiling for execution,
the suicide off the roof, the lady being kept awake by electroshocks...

what I want to say is that dark is a part of the spectrum of light and of color but overused and taken to this sort of place it becomes ...what?
a bore
yes that but also it seems to be a playing with sadism.

is that what I want to pay money for really? I dont think so
I dont intend to comply any more
and advise you folks not to either

dark is not ,by itself or overdone, fun or brilliant or daring or deep...
and this game in my opinion is not.

Edited on 10/12/2016 at 4:57:28 PM PST

Wow!

[Post New]by libragirl44 on Oct 12, 16 7:45 PM
This game is one of the best games I've ever played as a Fishy! True, it is a bit dark, but the story, the navigation, everything was wonderful. I couldn't stop playing it until the finish. Thanks for a great game.

ediegamer
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by ediegamer on Oct 12, 16 9:15 PM
This is one great game!!!!!

Meganthedog
Guppy
Guppy
153 Posts

[Post New]by Meganthedog on Oct 15, 16 9:30 AM
Loved this game until the bonus chapter which contained a couple of really stupid puzzles and too many HOs with the story element for my liking.

uglyteacup
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by uglyteacup on Oct 23, 16 7:33 AM
By the developers employing stylized dragnet type intrigue combined with cleanly drawn uncluttered screens that occasionally extend the player directional choices in the game-play, makes for a visual and auditory uncommon experience among the usual offerings.

MSQ62
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by MSQ62 on Nov 1, 16 1:36 PM
Enjoyed the game and was playing the ultimate hidden object in the extras menu, but could not finish because you are supposed to put on night vision and it was blocked by a bottle of pills. It kept telling me I didn't need the pills [Removed by Moderator], but they are covering up the night vision I do need.

Edited on 11/01/2016 at 3:50:17 PM PST

bfgIlinalta
3,807 Posts

[Post New]by bfgIlinalta on Nov 1, 16 4:15 PM
Howdy Everyone,

Thank you all for taking the time to post reviews and opinions about the game. We really appreciate it. I just wanted to drop by really fast to remind all of our posters to try their best to follow the Forum Rules, especially:

Keep posts family-friendly. Posts that contain defamatory, explicit, obscene, threatening, or offensive content will be removed.

Profanity, even when implied or 'censored', will be removed from the forums to keep them as family-friendly as possible.

Thank you for your time and understanding, and happy gaming! If there are any questions about this post or the forums, feel free to PM me or any of our other active Moderators. We're all happy to listen and help out as best we can.

bfgIlinalta

judy76073
Clownfish
Clownfish
531 Posts

[Post New]by judy76073 on Nov 2, 16 10:40 PM
alas, this has not been a favorite game of mine. I bought it because I took advantage of this past weekend sale for CE games. The graphics, voice/overs and everything was amazing - however, for me, there was far too much vocal that I had to read through - some I could click & skip because I can read faster than waiting for the voice to say the words, some I could not click on and had to wait -

sad to say - not a really enjoyable game for me, but I will carry on and finish it because I paid for it, but certainly not a game that I would re-play. Perhaps it's the subject matter that does not really appeal to me. In any event, I normally buy games that I can play - not ones where I have to do a lot of reading and I found this one to be a lot of reading and listening. This did not appeal to me.

Oh well - to each their own. At least it has given me a new game to play until the next CE tomorrow !! Hope it's an awesome game (wink - wink !!) maybe another MCF game coming out tomorrow ???? sure hope so

Go to: