bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Comments and Reviews for Unexpected Journey

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Mar 25, 10 5:49 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Unexpected Journey? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Hope to hear from you!

bfgFlounder

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

Re:Comments and Reviews for Unexpected Journey

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Mar 25, 10 6:41 AM
I haven't tried the game yet... but the guy looks like the drunk in Escape from the Museum..I'll be back , see if I have anything else to add....

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Mar 25, 10 7:27 AM
Looks like the same developers ..these types of games are just so frustrating for me ...They give me a headache ..!!!! No journey for me ,,more like a nightmare

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Mar 25, 10 8:40 AM
This game is from the same people how made Magic Farm, Mystery of Unicorn Castle and Destiny Arcitect. I really like it. The graphic is very clear and the items are not to hard too see. I will buy it tomorrow!

Chi3165
Minnow
Minnow
217 Posts

[Post New]by Chi3165 on Mar 25, 10 8:50 AM
I have to agree with the review given by runewarden in the other thread, "mini review."

I've never been a big fan of "Spot The Difference" minigames, but the one in this game is very frustrating. Very hard for me to find 20 differences. They seemed to me to be too tiny and difficult to find among the people in the picture.

Having only 4 items to find listed at a time in the first scene is frustrating when they will all eventually be picked up. And, I don't think I've ever taken a stapler or roll of scotch tape on my business trips (not to mention a flask!).

The last scene I tried was on board the ship with that lazy sailor that couldn't be bothered to do his job and find the objects himself! That was just too much of a jumble for me, and I do enjoy hidden object games.

As for me, this one is a no go.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Mar 25, 10 9:19 AM
Can't really review because I didn't get very far in the demo. I was still counting seagulls when hour was up. As for initial comments.....

This felt like the game was backwards, first scene seemed like an Unlimited bonus after playing thru a HOG. Way too many things to find at just 4 at a time. Only discovered on my own the drawers and closet would open. And open to get one item of dress at a time, how weird. Like she couldn't decide what to wear or take. Never did find what obstructed the door to the other room. I did discover tho that the pointer turned into a hand when hovering and I was clicking stuff not even on the list yet.

I'd still be on the password to pc had I not seen it on a post here and wrote it down before playing, probably wouldn't occur to me a hint would give it, that's too easy.

I like so many objects to find but not opening to hold up the rest of the game, but get a lot of replay when at the end like my Mystery PI standby Unlimited. So if I buy this it should keep me out of trouble for a long time.

I detest find differences, sorry to hear this has 20 to find. Just very hard on my eyes looking back and forth and takes forever. I guess the WT may show how many there are, I much prefer jigsaws. 90 sec is a long time to wait for a hint.

May be a game I'd get bored with halfway through, may not be long but long time playing. No tech problems loading and running on older Win XP. Didn't have music on at all, was listening to TV. Graphics were very clear and bright colors but only saw her room, boss's office and docks.

With one credit and one empty punch for March I just keep lining up Maybe icons, either too long, hard, or short, easy. Just not a gotta have and not many days left. Wish it was a DD, Many of those I get just out of curiosity and sometimes hit paydirt. This may be just plain old dirt. I'll wait and read how many others may really like it and trust to hit Buy.

(yeh, what's this flask for, have to be empty to get thru security these days. I never did find her ticket but got the trophies. I kinda hoped she'd just tell that grouchy rude boss to use it and quit!) Just comments I said, not much to contribute, sorry.

peachycat
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by peachycat on Mar 25, 10 9:20 AM
Can't say I'm a fan of this one. I stopped playing and uninstalled it before the trial period was over. The list of hidden objects to find (especially in the first scene) seemed endless (would be nice if there was a number to let you know how many more items were left to find) and the curser had to pefectly placed on the "found" items. The scenes were pretty though.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Mar 25, 10 9:27 AM
As I play slow, my demo ended with trying to find that last seagull. Up to that point,
it was an OK Hidden Object game. My concern re: buying are the comments on
Find TWENTY differences, when I so don't like FTD games and the trace the
constellations. Will have to wait for a review from someone who has
progressed more into the game. If there are no more "find the difference",
I might put this on my maybe list.

Are there any skips for the mini-games? Or only hints? I do like HOGs, but
can't afford to buy any more that will remain unfinished like my issue with
Robinson Crusoe.

peeshee_1951
Stingray
Stingray
5,444 Posts

[Post New]by peeshee_1951 on Mar 25, 10 10:23 AM
Sorry, don't remember who said this but I agree with I should've been paid to try this game. Very boring, ****'s almost impossible to see. 20 audio tapes??? Not a very creative game...and spot the diff? Uninstalled before hour was up, due to being so bored I couldn't take anymore.

Sante001
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by Sante001 on Mar 25, 10 10:40 AM
I may be in the minority with this game. I actually liked it. Though I have some mixed feelings about some things.

Hidden Objects -- For each scene, you have tons of objectives to find. The art work and the scenes were very clear, and most objects looked like what they say they are. For some, the objectives might be too small. I did find that my eyes were strained after 45 minutes of play time.

Hint System. -- You can find batteries throughout to charge up your hints when they are low. The directions for this are not very clear. 1) You start off with hints charged, after finding the first battery. 2) Throughout the game, you can collect additional batteries. 3) When you need to use a hint, you click over the item in the list, and you will be given a circle glow in the area where the item is located.

Interaction -- This is where the game is really missing some directions. At times you have to find items to interact with others items you don't know this until you 1) click on an item and it tells you need it. For example, plug in the cord to the computer. 2) Moving around the scene, you will land on something and a hand will appear to pick up something. More directions please. Seasoned players will figure this out, new game players may be confused.

Find the Difference -- If you don't like these games, you might become frustrated because items are so small. I however enjoyed this. In fact, this was probably one of the more challenge FTD that I've played. Another twist on FTD are descriptions give of people and you have to find them, similar to the "Gotcha, Celebrity Secrets."

Levels & Timing -- There is not timing and not sure how long or how many levels.

Difficulty Level -- Not difficult but can be hard on the eyes.

Sound -- I turned off the sound. The characters don't have a "sound" voice, you read what they're saying.

Storyline -- Not much of one. I actually enjoyed playing it for the hidden objects and the interaction.

This game gets my approval out of 5. Not sure of purchase, will consider for $2.99.

slinkysmom
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

Spot the differences Artist Scene

[Post New]by slinkysmom on Mar 25, 10 10:53 AM
I would not mind spotting 20 differences between artists painting and actual scene except for the following: 1. I am not an art critic
2. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the story line.
3. I am not purchasing the painting or paying the
artist
Therefore, I really do not give a flying fig if there is 40 differences. All I can say is developers....try again!. This looked good and did not even mind the clutter but these inane side tasks are frustrating and boring. By the time I get on this cruise if I ever do, I will probably forget what original story was all about.
How about a few more hints that would be a bonus and certainly necessary if this aritist scene is like more to come.
This is not going to be a purchase for me. Too bad looked promising.

Faylyn
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by Faylyn on Mar 25, 10 10:57 AM
I played the demo and thought the game was ok however I had to play it in Windows mode. This is so annoying when screen resolution is a problem. I won't buy unless it's a DD for that reason alone. I have a 19" wide screen monitor and if developers are going to design games that need screen resolutions they need to work something out so that Windows is not the only option.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Mar 25, 10 11:07 AM
Thank you Santee001. I too did enjoy what I played. I didn't make it to the find the difference, did you notice if there was a skip for it?

If you decide to buy, please report back.

Joyce

aalaurie
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by aalaurie on Mar 25, 10 11:12 AM
I give all kinds of credit to game developers of all kinds, but the STD scene at the dock was the last straw for me. I agree with all of the foregoing messages in this forum.

Found the game frustrating and even though I love HOGs, I think they left the fun out of this one and put the struggle in instead. I deleted it with 11 minutes to spare. Gave it a try, but no go.

LucyMarie
Minnow
Minnow
205 Posts

[Post New]by LucyMarie on Mar 25, 10 11:13 AM
*yawn* After the much more challenging Sherlock Holmes (now that was fun!) this was a downer. I agree that the first scene was too much, but I did enjoy the interaction with the cat (if only mine would go in a carrier so easily). Found the people on the boardwalk and quit before the artist find the difference. Not for me at all.

[Post New]by mizzbrat on Mar 25, 10 12:47 PM
This game is a terrible game and I love HOG games ........

padres
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by padres on Mar 25, 10 1:21 PM
Agree with most of what I've read here. Boring game. Very thin story line. Hidden objects barely relate to what is going on. No skips for minigames. With so much out there that is really good lately, this one is an easy decision to not buy. Vivian

samwise50
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

[Post New]by samwise50 on Mar 25, 10 2:08 PM
Oh Boy! I am not going to spend a penny on this one. What a mess! There was no sound, which is ok if the music was going to be annoying anyway, which I expect it to be. Graphics are well, graphics, piles of stuff, a real mess. Oh, I'm sorry, it's "creative disorder". My eye! What is with opening the wardrobe closet 10 times, the same drawers 20 times, etc.? Find the cat, catch the cat, find the toy, find something tasty. C'mon, give me a break. Find 11 pages, 15 photos, Aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh. The boss is giving the girl a very hard time and she's all smile. This one is so annoying. I just can't stand that kind of games anymore. Sorry.
For those who like it, enjoy!

Edited on 03/25/2010 at 2:10:38 PM PST

pupulegirl
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by pupulegirl on Mar 25, 10 2:32 PM
Guess I'm in the minority. I'm liking this game and bought it. The only scene I had a problem with was finding the cave drawings and bullet holes in the cave. It was too dark.

I'm playing on full screen on a 22" monitor with no problems.

Most of the HOG's were easy as was figuring out what to do and how.

I must be bored. I really want to buy the new CE because I was enoying that one but guess I'm gonna have to wait for the $6.99 game.

Sorry you guys aren't enjoying this. Since there is no timer, you can just take your time and relax.

Off to make Mango Pickle, a treat here in the Islands.

Aloha!

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Mar 25, 10 2:38 PM
I know this is a minority opinion, but today I liked this. I choose games with a variety of difficulty, as well as a variety of game play styles. This is pretty much straight HOG, not much interaction - and it leads you through fairly well. There are times when that's just what I want! Then there are times I prefer much more challenge, interaction and good puzzles (but with skip option).
The graphics seemed nice and clear to me. I first thought it was lame to only list 4 things at a time, so I just went around opening the closet, drawers, cabinets, and pulling drapes, etc. That added a dimension of a memory style game remembering where I saw an item, making the best of it.
Spot the Differences, little tricky, just took patience. Seagulls, ditto. Didn't get far enough to Trace the Constellations (thanks to fishies who warned about that!). If there is more than one of those, it would be a deal-breaker for me on any day!
Judging only on its merits, not in comparison to other games which aspire to be bigger, better, etc., I can only say that hour trial flew by, so that rates this a "Maybe", depending what else comes along in the next few weeks.
As always, has way more games than I've got $$$.

Go to: