bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Comments and Reviews for Haunted Manor: Lord of Mirrors Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Mar 25, 10 5:54 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Haunted Manor: Lord of Mirrors Collector's Edition? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Hope to hear from you!

bfgFlounder

DixieKat
Squid
Squid
67 Posts

Re:Comments and Reviews for Haunted Manor: Lord of Mirrors Collector's Edition

[Post New]by DixieKat on Mar 25, 10 6:55 AM
Wow! Great game!

nanaseaweed
Guppy
Guppy
191 Posts

[Post New]by nanaseaweed on Mar 25, 10 6:59 AM
Hi, I just played 45 minutes of the trial and got to the third level. I found it to be easy for now but I wonder what it is going to be like further into the story. I did need to use hint a couple of times. The scenes are nice and clear so objects are kind of easy to find. I loved the visual and sound effects, great job guys & gals.
I personally like the CE's because they have it all! Nana

bbelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by bbelle on Mar 25, 10 7:07 AM
dixie and nana, I agree wholeheartedly. GREAT GAME. Played and bought.

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Mar 25, 10 7:31 AM
Great game so far..how long is it through the end, anyone know yet? Not sure of it worth buying the collectors edition or just wait for the normal version..I have trouble with 20 game that offers little more than the 6.99 game.
kris_cross48

thistle809
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by thistle809 on Mar 25, 10 7:37 AM
Oh, Felix, you little devil! Quietly cloaking this gem by way of a "soft launch". The graphics are gorgeous, the sounds are good, you can click through dialogue at your own speed, there is no timer, unlimited hints that re-charge quickly (even if you don't need them very often), and an interesting storyline that has interactive features that lead you logically through your adventure. Even too many incorrect clicks result only in a "cracked glass" effect on the screen for a couple of seconds. The mini-games/puzzles are quite unique and fun. I played the demo and had gotten to the cellar. (Since I had collected, I think, four mirror shards, this should have plenty of playing time; judging by the total number of shards to be placed.) I love the way the various characters are introduced through the figurines and continue adding to the story. This is a well-thought-out, well-designed, imaginative game that will be challenging enough for most players, but not impossible for many; either.

Edited on 03/25/2010 at 7:39:03 AM PST

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Mar 25, 10 7:59 AM
I have also played the trial and really enjoyed it. Nice new Ihog with an interesting storyline. I won`t buy the collectors edition, but surely the regular version

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Mar 25, 10 8:26 AM
Just finished the trial and whilst the hidden objects are for the most part ridiculously easy to find, the rest of the game more than makes up for this. I was very disappointed when the time ran out as I can't afford to buy CE's and would have loved to continue playing. Have to wait impatiently for regular edition! Lovely graphics, interesting puzzles, plenty of interaction, nice storytelling...a definite buy.

mountfalcon
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by mountfalcon on Mar 25, 10 8:32 AM
I'm not sure why there should be such enthusiasm - yes, it has clear graphics, but it also has another set of mirror shards, rather dull puzzles, formulaic gameplay and can be summed up as just one damned thing after another - except originality that is. I think some developers are getting rather lazy - this seems to have been assembled from a scrapbook - an old scrapbook.

Faylyn
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by Faylyn on Mar 25, 10 10:51 AM
I just finished the demo and love the game. As soon as it goes to $6.99 I'll buy it.

djrum525
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,389 Posts

[Post New]by djrum525 on Mar 25, 10 11:50 AM
D/L was fine. Good, clean graphics. Eerie music. No timer. Can skip puzzles, although they're quite easy. In the options menu, there's an icon for cursor so I would think you can change the custom cursor. But I never do. Hidden object scenes, while not junkpile (I don't mind junkpile!) are rather easy. Since my time ran out while I was sorting the wine bottles in the cellar, I kinda got that feeling that I would like to keep playing-not the I HAVE to keep playing. The last time I got the I HAVE to keep playing feeling was Nightfall Mysteries: Curse of the Opera and it was only $6.99. I may purchase just because I've been very selective (stingy) and have not bought a CE since Sweeney Todd (love that game, even with generic ending).
Also, not sure on gameplay length of Haunted Manor.

peeshee_1951
Stingray
Stingray
5,444 Posts

[Post New]by peeshee_1951 on Mar 25, 10 11:55 AM
Loved the game, finally had a fun demo with lots of stuff to do. Clear crisp graphics, looks to be a nice length too. HOs easy to find but you still have to decide what you need to do in what order to do it, etc. Clicked through the story to get to the gaming part so can't comment too much on that part. I won't part with $20 for this game, I'll just put it on the list with Briar Rose and Alice in Wonderland, be patient and wait for the $7 version.

amrith777
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by amrith777 on Mar 25, 10 11:58 AM
Just demo'ed this and agree with most other posts.The graphics are stunning and top notch and the storyline fairly engaging--but IMO the puzzles are very rudimentary and the ease with which they are solved takes a huge bite out of my enjoyment,as I enjoy more challenging games.

madstitcher54
Squid
Squid
62 Posts

[Post New]by madstitcher54 on Mar 25, 10 12:30 PM
I agree with mountfalcon. Really a lame game. The other Collectors Editions were creative and harder. Will not buy this game now or when it is $6.99.

Dibur46
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by Dibur46 on Mar 25, 10 1:04 PM
the demo for this game was so much fun for me!! Enjoyed it and will wait to buy at the 6.99 price. Great game... downloaded nice, played very nicely on my XP. I have been having some issues lately with a few of the games.. sometimes it's very erratic or it won't come up on the screen, etc. But this one was a pleasure to play! Thanks BFG for another great HOG!!

[Post New]by ladydee1967 on Mar 25, 10 1:21 PM
Not sure if I will pay 20.00 for the CE. Ive enjoyed the trial version so far...just got to the living room and still have half an hour left. I think I will finish my Sherlock Holmes game first and check back on the length before I pay for the CE.

Comments and Reviews for Haunted Manor: Lord of Mirrors Collector's Edition

[Post New]by mehupa on Mar 25, 10 1:31 PM
bfgFlounder wrote:Hey Fishies! What do you think of Haunted Manor: Lord of Mirrors Collector's Edition? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Hope to hear from you!

bfgFlounder

[Post New]by mehupa on Mar 25, 10 1:35 PM
I couldn't wait so bought thee game at full price, now I am stuck and need a little help trying to get clock set at 11:55 and make the cash register open..... Why didn't I just wait? Because it looked like a great game and I was board out of my mind today Hope I can get a tiny bit of help but I thin te full price s worth it today!!

katejoe999
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

[Post New]by katejoe999 on Mar 25, 10 3:00 PM
I was impatient too - and bought the game. Its OK, nice graphics, interactive and I like finding objects in order to solve puzzles, unlock things etc. What is disappointing is that it is a series of rooms with the same play format, not a game with a story that you progress through. After a while I was racing through the rooms as I knew what to expect. And I was well over dusting mirrors!
Wish I had waited for $6.99 price!

CiCiRR
Lobster
Lobster
84 Posts

[Post New]by CiCiRR on Mar 25, 10 3:12 PM
The game has great graphics, and reminds me in some ways of Return to Ravenhearst.

But the similarity ends there. Where RTR offered a challenge, I found HM incredibly easy - objects were easy to find, puzzles were no brainers, and in the first hour of play, most of the time is spent lighting lamps/lanterns/candles and dusting off mirrors to get to the next scene.

Something else I found odd - collecting those little figurines. Right in the middle of a scene, you select a little figurine and you're swooped away to a screen where you have to put the figurine in the proper place.

****/adventure games are starting become pretty mundane. They all seem to have the same kind of gameplay - putting torn pieces of paper together, finding keys to unlock boxes, searching for the differences, and on and on.

To be fair, one thing that is improving in **** game play is that developers are providing the option of skipping storyline dialogue. Kudos for that.

Go to: