Astra02
Clownfish
Clownfish
525 Posts

If You're New to Seasonal Events

[Post New]by Astra02 on Oct 13, 16 9:38 AM
What Are Seasonal Events?

They're three short-term events that coincide with certain times of year/holidays; Spring/Easter, Fall/Halloween/Thanksgiving, and Winter/Christmas. (However, the exact start date will NOT line up with the holidays or the solstices/equinoxes, and it is NOT known to the players or forum mods in advance). During these events, the game is altered in several ways.

1) The hidden object scenes (HOSs) drop seasonal items. These include such things as Halloween candy, Easter eggs, and Christmas decorations. They're used for trading, crafting certain items/pets, and finishing certain achievements. While they can be bought and gifted all year, they are only free during their event.

2) The morphing objects change from flowers to a seasonal shape. There's usually an achievement associated with them, or they may be required for crafting. They're usually easier to see than the flowers, and drop seasonal items and double coins/diamonds.

3) Certain items and pets are added to the lab. You can craft them at any time, but the items needed only drop for free during the event.

4) The Daily Quests change. Instead of the usual 3, 5, or 10-parters, a seasonal character will offer 1-parters involving seasonal items/activities. They drop Pet Medallions and seasonal items, and since they're faster and use less inventory than the normal DQs, they're good for stocking up on Pet Medallions. However, they DO NOT count for DQ achievements!

5) Holiday decorations appear and some items/characters will change to a seasonally-appropriate motif.

6) New achievements related to the season's events appear, often giving avatars.

7) In each room, a floating object will appear. Hitting the object with the required tool will "catch" it. Collecting one of each type or a certain number will earn achievements. The tool drops from HOSs, or can be traded for, bought, or gifted. You can review your collections all year by opening the Gargoyle in the Private Room and buying all 3 albums. Please note that these are RANDOM: you may find them all in a few days, or you may not find them all during a single SE.

8) 3 children appear in front of the Castle. You may trade seasonal HOS drops with them in exchange for another item; either the collectible-catching tool, or in Winter, the Gifts for Friends. There's also an achievement for trading with them.

9) New puzzles are usually available. Be sure to unlock them!

10) The seasonal Private Rooms. See next post!

Edited on 03/22/2018 at 8:25:26 AM PST

Astra02
Clownfish
Clownfish
525 Posts

Re:If You're New to Seasonal Events

[Post New]by Astra02 on Oct 13, 16 9:47 AM
What's the Deal with the Seasonal Private Rooms?

During the Spring and Winter SEs, new Private Rooms will appear decorated in a seasonal motif (As of now, there is no Fall Room). There are two rooms for both Spring and Winter. These rooms offer new decorations and furniture that you can unlock with Golden Keys, and purchase with shards, coins, or diamonds. You can also change the name of your room, just like with the regular room.

The big draw of the seasonal Private Rooms, though, are the associated special challenges. Each room comes with a special challenge that you can do both in your room and the rooms of all your friends, just like opening the Mystery Chest. During the Winter Event, we could leave Gifts for Friends (the gift-wrapped boxes that occasionally drop from the HOSs) under a Christmas tree (in the first room) or in a gift sack (in the second room). There is an achievement associated with this action, culminating in a Mrs. Claus avatar for leaving 1,000 boxes. Similarly, both Spring Rooms and the 2nd Christmas Room have special HOSs that can only be done during the Event. These drop TONS of Coins, Airship items, Shards, seasonal items, and the collectible-catching tool. There is also an achievement associated with the Spring Terrace in the 1st Spring Room, culminating in the Egg Hunter avatar.

The catch is, just like regular gifting, you can only do the HOSs and/or leave gifts in your room and in your friends' rooms once a day. The requirements for the achievements are usually pretty high, making it difficult for those with few friends to achieve them during one event. Hence, the Seasonal Event friends! This topic warrants its own post, so see below for that.

Edited on 04/14/2018 at 4:20:14 PM PST

[Post New]by welshrarebit56 on Oct 13, 16 9:51 AM

[Post New]by Elsaemerald on Oct 13, 16 9:54 AM
Thanks for the great synopsis, Astra!

Astra02
Clownfish
Clownfish
525 Posts

[Post New]by Astra02 on Oct 13, 16 10:00 AM
Seasonal Event Friends

You may see posts going around the forum asking for "special event friends" or "seasonal event friends". Since the Private Room achievements have such high requirements, many people opt to take on new friends for the season so that they can have access to more rooms and get the achievement done more quickly. Check around the forum for the latest threads.

The community has established some general etiquette guidelines to make this rather unwieldy process easier for everyone.

1) It is customary to add FE (for Fall Event), SE (for Spring Event), or CE (for Christmas event) to help folks keep track of their "regular" friends and the seasonal-only ones. Still, you might want to make note of your regular friends to prevent accidental deletions after the event.

2) Seasonal friends are ONLY for the purpose of having access to each other's rooms. Gifting is not required, expected, or even encouraged in most circumstances, and most seasonal friends will decline themselves AFTER the event is over. (See Point 4).

3) That being said, some people do establish "regular" gifting relationships that last even after the event. To initiate this, state your intention in your post with your ID number, contact the person via PM, or send them a token gift from their regular wishlist. If the gift is reciprocated, gifting can occur as normal, although you may still wish to contact the person to see if they are accepting new friends.

4) Once you have accepted seasonal friends, DO NOT SWITCH BACK TO THE REGULAR OR ANOTHER SEASONAL ROOM UNTIL THE EVENT IS OVER! People can only access the room that you currently display. Some people play more slowly than others, or may have fewer friends. It is considered rude in the extreme to remove their opportunity to complete their achievements.

One warning about seasonal friends. Some people experience lag or problematic gameplay if they take on too many friends. Add friends slowly and monitor your game's performance closely. Don't be ashamed or stress too much if you can't take on as many friends as other people! You can only do what you can do!

Finally, I would be remiss if I didn't mention the Consortium. See next post.

Edited on 04/06/2017 at 5:33:22 PM PST

gtminer
Clownfish
Clownfish
812 Posts

[Post New]by gtminer on Oct 13, 16 10:04 AM
So helpful, Astra. Thank you.

The quest I still have is how many friends do you think we would need for the SE and do you know how long the SE last?

Astra02
Clownfish
Clownfish
525 Posts

[Post New]by Astra02 on Oct 13, 16 10:06 AM
What's the Consortium?

The Consortium is a group of MC players who stockpile seasonal items and distribute them to players who do not have an opportunity to finish the Seasonal Events when they occur. While the Seasonal Events will appear the next year, some people may wish to work on the achievements throughout the year. The Consortium exists to help this effort.

This thread will help you contact Consortium members if you wish to ask for items, or become a member yourself. It's long and old, so be sure to move to the more recent posts to look for the current members.

http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/20/403219.page#6006599

If you do take advantage of the Consortium, consider paying it back by becoming a member, or donating extra items to a member so that they can share your generosity with others. It's the holiday spirit!

Have fun and enjoy the seasonal events! Happy All-the-Holidays!

Astra

Edited on 01/03/2018 at 11:31:13 AM PST

Astra02
Clownfish
Clownfish
525 Posts

[Post New]by Astra02 on Oct 13, 16 10:11 AM
So helpful, Astra. Thank you.

The quest I still have is how many friends do you think we would need for the SE and do you know how long the SE last?

Gtminer,

As far as the time goes, they usually last around a month or a little more. The Fall Event should go through the end of the American Thanksgiving, for example, and the Christmas Event usually ends around the end of Advent (early January).

For friends, it's hard to say. It depends on what the achievement requirements are, how often/fast you play and how many friends your game can handle without performance loss.

Personally, I'm going to start with 100, since I know my game (and I) can handle that many. If the special challenge looks particularly difficult, I'll slowly add more. If this is your first event, you may have to experiment a little, or add friends slowly. We should be in a better position to judge when we know exactly what the challenge will require.

Astra

Edited on 10/13/2016 at 10:14:27 AM PST

Desertdruid
Manatee
Manatee
4,356 Posts

[Post New]by Desertdruid on Oct 13, 16 10:48 AM
Wonderful synopsis, Astra!
One thing I would like to add - during the Event, the morphing objects drop twice the gold, & drop diamonds more often! Very helpful!

Astra02
Clownfish
Clownfish
525 Posts

[Post New]by Astra02 on Oct 13, 16 10:52 AM
Wonderful synopsis, Astra!
One thing I would like to add - during the Event, the morphing objects drop twice the gold, & drop diamonds more often! Very helpful!

Desertdruid,

I had forgotten that! I'll add it to the post. Thank you!

Astra

mrs23
Herring
Herring
355 Posts

[Post New]by mrs23 on Oct 13, 16 10:57 AM
Also I would like to add that the morphing objects DO NOT count in your total flowers collected count.

Skittles

BAPPLE
Clownfish
Clownfish
626 Posts

[Post New]by BAPPLE on Oct 13, 16 11:02 AM
Thank you for the valuable information. Anxious to see what fall brings.

gohill
Stingray
Stingray
4,715 Posts

[Post New]by gohill on Oct 13, 16 11:09 AM
mrs23 wrote:Also I would like to add that the morphing objects DO NOT count in your total flowers collected count.

Skittles

That is true.... but, they do count towards the morphing object achievement...

gtminer
Clownfish
Clownfish
812 Posts

[Post New]by gtminer on Oct 13, 16 3:12 PM
Would it be safe to assume the SE would start at the reset time? Seems if it started any other time, it would really hurt people trying to finish up a DQ.

Fingers crossed for the next reset.

kthreads
Clownfish
Clownfish
603 Posts

[Post New]by kthreads on Oct 13, 16 3:30 PM
Thanks for posting this, Astra!

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Oct 13, 16 3:36 PM
Hi there,

I just wanted to pop in here and thank Astra02 for starting this thread. I'd also like to thank players that have taken the time to post in this thread. Since it is indeed helpful, I've gone ahead and added it to the Helpful Links for Midnight Castle. Please keep in mind that since the "Tips, Tricks, and Guides" portion was too large to post another link, I had to create a new reply in that locked thread. Players will see this thread if they scroll to the bottom.

Thank you for your patience and understanding. Happy gaming everyone!

bfgBellerophon

KayteCat
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
468 Posts

[Post New]by KayteCat on Oct 14, 16 10:04 PM
Astra02 wrote:Seasonal Event Friends

1) It is customary to add FE (for Fall Event), SE (for Spring Event), or CE (for Christmas event) to help folks keep track of their "regular" friends and the seasonal-only ones.

2) Seasonal friends are ONLY for the purpose of having access to each other's rooms. Gifting is not required, expected, or even encouraged in most circumstances, and most seasonal friends will decline themselves AFTER the event is over. (See Point 4).

3) That being said, some people do establish "regular" gifting relationships that last even after the event. To initiate this, state your intention in your post with your ID number, contact the person via PM, or send them a token gift from their regular wishlist. If the gift is reciprocated, gifting can occur as normal, although you may still wish to contact the person to see if they are accepting new friends.

One caution with the SE/ FE/ CE: make sure when deleting event friends after the event that it truly was an event friend. I had a long-time, regular friend accidentally delete me when they were purging their list of event friends, because I had th SE after my name. We caught it, thankfully.

The codes may be meant:
-for friends to see that you are playing the event, or
-for potential friends to see that you are open to making seasonal / non-gifting friends,
-or may indicate you are open to being removed when the event is over,

but your existing friends also see the tag.

Edited on 10/14/2016 at 10:09:10 PM PST

Desertdruid
Manatee
Manatee
4,356 Posts

[Post New]by Desertdruid on Oct 15, 16 8:37 AM
Another caution about adding additional friends:
More than 95 friends caused my game to be very flakey - it was slooooow, it would freeze & I'd have to close it down, & my friends would disappear.
Sadly, I was forced to delete some of the SE friends I had added just to get it working again. I still feel bad I had to do that.

[Post New]by Elsaemerald on Oct 15, 16 8:44 AM
Desertdruid wrote:Another caution about adding additional friends:
More than 95 friends caused my game to be very flakey - it was slooooow, it would freeze & I'd have to close it down, & my friends would disappear.
Sadly, I was forced to delete some of the SE friends I had added just to get it working again. I still feel bad I had to do that.

Thanks for th heads up Desertdruid. I've just hit the 95 mark with the addition of FE friends and was thinking now I might have to start declining new invites. What you say confirms this is probably warranted.

norry6
Clownfish
Clownfish
611 Posts

[Post New]by norry6 on Oct 15, 16 8:48 AM
KayteCat wrote:
Astra02 wrote:Seasonal Event Friends

1) It is customary to add FE (for Fall Event), SE (for Spring Event), or CE (for Christmas event) to help folks keep track of their "regular" friends and the seasonal-only ones.

One caution with the SE/ FE/ CE: make sure when deleting event friends after the event that it truly was an event friend. I had a long-time, regular friend accidentally delete me when they were purging their list of event friends, because I had th SE after my name. We caught it, thankfully.

The codes may be meant:
-for friends to see that you are playing the event, or
-for potential friends to see that you are open to making seasonal / non-gifting friends,
-or may indicate you are open to being removed when the event is over,

but your existing friends also see the tag.

Good point KayteCat. I haven't added any new friends for the event and already I have some FE players. Players need to keep a record of either friends they already have to keep them safe or event friends. Either would work.
Great list Astra and thanks for including the Consortium.

Go to: