bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Comments and Reviews for Happyville: Quest for Utopia

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Mar 26, 10 2:26 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Happyville: Quest for Utopia? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Hope to hear from you!

bfgFlounder

Saturn1985
Minnow
Minnow
286 Posts

Re:Comments and Reviews for Happyville: Quest for Utopia

[Post New]by Saturn1985 on Mar 26, 10 3:40 AM
This game could have been really great, and some people might still enjoy it, but I am highly disappointed.

HappyVille feels like a "light" version of SimCity. You are the elected mayor of a small town and have to build homes, businesses, and service buildings for your citizens to be happy. People need a home, a job, roads, a school, and other things to be really happy, and the happier they are, the more taxes you earn per day. This again enables you to construct more important buildings, improve social services like the hospital or the police, thereby attracting more and more people to your growing city.

After some time there are going to be new elections, and they are presented like real ones. The happier your people are, the more probable it is that you are elected again. This is actually the only exciting moment while playing...waiting for the results.

Apart from this the game lacks challenge and events. Even if you speed up the game time, it takes really long in the beginning to earn enough money to build anything, even one road. This means you can click various people and households to see what they need (which is a helpful feature indeed), but you can't do anything about it except for staring at the screen and waiting.

The graphics are quite cute and in a fresh cartoon style, although the citizens look rather strange and don't move that realistically. There are not that many buildings to choose from, and in case of businesses you can't even decide which one will develop from building a business lot.

People who enjoy slower strategy games might enjoy this one, although, in contrast to Virtual Villagers for example, here are not even mysteries to solve, let alone other surprises.

I give it 2 of 5

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Mar 26, 10 4:02 AM
I fully agree with Saturns review. I don`t like this new Building game. I wish Gogii had made instead a new nice hog game not that.

MarkAlan
Herring
Herring
314 Posts

[Post New]by MarkAlan on Mar 26, 10 5:52 AM
Eisteepfirsich wrote:I fully agree with Saturns review. I don`t like this new Building game. I wish Gogii had made instead a new nice hog game not that.

I also agree with Saturn's review, but another mindless hidden object game is what we don't need. This site is chuck full of them and even the other categories like puzzle and adventure have become hidden object clones. It's now even infiltrating the time management and match 3 games. See "Potion Bar" and "The Enchanted Kingdom" for example.

"Sim City" was an awesome game. Now if only the right developer would step up and translate that concept into a casual game worthy of that franchise. Gogii was obviously the wrong candidate for the job.

We will have to wait and see...

Edited on 03/26/2010 at 6:02:09 AM PST

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Mar 26, 10 6:28 AM
I agree with MarkAlan. I'm basically IHOG player, even would go for plain HOG and haven't even used my March credit. Too many "mindless" clones or even sequels that fall short of the original ones, games lasting barely over an hour. Worse is the mixing so many genres into one game. No, I won't buy a TM just to get a few HOG screens, and I expect that goes both ways trying to get your money's worth.

But I expect in this economy and uncertainty, it's rough on the developers to invest in totally new quality games we are used to in past. And no way can one come along every day or every week. I count a monthly awesome gotta have game average, and years back I did buy just one, maybe 2 a month as a member. Good time though to hunt DDs of older ones I may have missed.

I just suspect that half the games offered lately, especially the soft launches are adding a catalogue to BF's that were on a partner's distribution. So, a NEW game everyday means new from BF and at member's price, but not new games, just new here. So there are some good ones if you hadn't already bought from another site before. Getting into other genres, that Alice's Magical Mahjong on DD a few days ago was best so far for me, since I never heard of it before. I probably wouldn't even demoed it from the title had it not been a DD. Another was BF getting Paradise Quest for those who had never seen it. My fav M3 I got from another club a year ago. Since then pickins' are getting pretty slim. Just have to wait it out til seed money is flowing again.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Mar 26, 10 6:53 AM
Saturn People who enjoy slower strategy games might enjoy this one, although, in contrast to Virtual Villagers for example, here are not even mysteries to solve, let alone other surprises-

I'm one of the VV devotees going back to VV1 thru 3 and eagerly waiting for VV4 Tree of Life to be at BF. But no, this game and most others I felt were clones of VVs. Maybe because VV1 was the first of this type game I ever tried and was so enchanted, I could just never warm up to other ones but VV2 and 3. They are endless for replay, challenging for trying new strategies, low key, too slow moving for some but I like that. I can get so immersed in their progress and my entertainment.

But consider, these devs at LDW spend a year on a new release. And they keep such a pulse on player's likes, dislikes, adding new features and keeping each one fresh and fun. Maybe we are just a cult, but I'd start a new village on an old game anytime over buying 3 more lookalikes. I know VV4 is worth waiting for, and plenty of other good quality games to replay in the meantime exploring other genres. Just no TMs for me, even if they did remove timers or added some other puzzles or HOGs. It would be a disaster if LDW started pitching us 3 or 4 a year just to pay their rent and ruin the original concept, feel for the game. They merely evolve along with their players and get better and better. OK may be out of line and OT here on another game's forum, but hope this dev is taking notes.

[Post New]by Sootywillow on Mar 26, 10 8:41 AM
I agree with Saturn. Having been waiting for ages for a decent TM game, I thought this might be it. It started well but it is so boring waiting for the money to accrue, even if speeded up to the maximum. I got to the stage where it wants me to build a monument for £5000 and that will mean a whole lot of doing nothing waiting for the money to come in and in the meantime, the citizens are getting annoyed as you cannot give them what they want. Very disappointing again.

sorahi23
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by sorahi23 on Mar 26, 10 9:09 AM
This game had potential. I was enjoying it for a while, even though accumulating money is slow. But it was the unrealistic wants of the townspeople that eventually killed it for me.

The whole place is barely a village and they want shops on every other lot and a hospital and police station just down the street from the ones that are already there. And why does each business only seem to employ one person, so that every new person immigrating to the town needs a new place to work? There was no way to lay out the town in the manner I wanted and keep the people happy at the same time. Very disappointing.

BabyNurse123
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by BabyNurse123 on Mar 26, 10 10:28 AM
What a shame. It take so long to earn enough money to build the required services that I literally started to doze off! ....not a keeper I'm afraid.

heidid
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by heidid on Mar 26, 10 12:47 PM
I have to agree with previous reviewers on this one. I usually enjoy TM games (love the strategy needed, not so much pure speed). However, the unrealistic "needs", as mentioned by others, ruined the game for me. after 10 minutes I was done. There is no time given to allow your community to grow before asking for the next item (school, park, hospital, etc). In addition, I had people in one house asking for both a supermarket and a restaurant, and I had both. It was frustrating to sit there saying "but I have one!".

Pro: You can lay out your village however you like. The downside, however, is that roads are not what you want to spend money on early on, and they take a long time to build.

I don't mind games that are slower in pace (I love the entire VV series), but they can't be slow-paced while making you feel like you should be hurrying, as this one does.

Sadly, not a keeper.

[Post New]by wreeve2006 on Mar 26, 10 5:08 PM
Well, I bought it, played it, got bored, built more, got to where EVERYONE had to have a hospital/police station/school AND be happy - then get an error message saying the Manager has run out of sprite! what a funny error message hahaha - obviously some bug - and some developer putting in an amusing comment!
Well, now i have filled every possible square with something there is nowhere for me to go! hmmmmm think i wasted a game credit on this one. sorry developers, thought it could do with a "next" town option where you could put what you had learned into practice. not a happy bunny really. sorry.

[Post New]by seester13 on Mar 26, 10 5:51 PM
Thanks for the reviews everybody!! I will not even try this game!

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Mar 26, 10 6:09 PM
Game "sprites" refer to graphics, so "manager has run out of sprites" is a graphics/video driver/video card issue.

GoveGirl
Herring
Herring
309 Posts

[Post New]by GoveGirl on Mar 26, 10 6:52 PM
I quite like this game. It is not perfect- in fact they could and should have made improvements before release but it is a fun little building sim to fill in a few hours.

The biggest problem wth is lack of upgrades- after a while you build same thing over and over. Another problem is consequences - whether I accept or reject those little offers that pop up in envelopes- I have not seen anything happen for constantly rejecting- I still win my elections

I maybe play it different as I am not playing that I worry about pleasing everyone.
I have started a few towns and the outcome has been different each time as to the ease of making everyone happy.

At first it seems slow to get money up- you have to keep building and getting the population up to get a faster flow of income.

I already played about 6 hours worth so its entertained me longer than the average HOG these days.

The game could be have been improved with more options and better Ai .

laeddie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,053 Posts

[Post New]by laeddie on Mar 26, 10 7:59 PM
Gove Girl I completely agree with your candid assesment of this game. I too bought the game with the SPRINGFEVER discount and although it is a very easy simple game I have already gotten my moneys worth. As a TM gamer it was refreshing to have something easy on the old brain for a change. I recommend people try it.relax and who knows you might even enjoy yourself. A few days later and I am sorry to say while it's a nice cute game I amhaving tech problems -- Every 5 minutes or so it freezes on me for about 10 seconds. I see others are having different & same troubles. I have checked my adobe flash my Direct X and the dxfiag process. All to no avail. I no longer recommend anyone buy it Especially at full price!

Edited on 03/31/2010 at 1:08:45 PM PST

patnsky
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by patnsky on Mar 26, 10 11:50 PM
Eisteepfirsich wrote:I fully agree with Saturns review. I don`t like this new Building game. I wish Gogii had made instead a new nice hog game not that.

Even though I love HOGs, we need variety ... and that is what this is, something different.

patnsky
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by patnsky on Mar 27, 10 12:20 AM
Ops, goofed ... read on ...

Edited on 03/27/2010 at 12:29:09 AM PST

patnsky
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by patnsky on Mar 27, 10 12:26 AM
I agree with the assessment of GoveGirl. I had decided to not buy any more games this month, but I did buy Happyville using the SpringFever coupon earlier today. I have played hours and hours and have totally gotten my monies worth.

I feel there is no comparison between Happyville and any VV as in the VVs, you work more with individual people, solve puzzles, find HOs, etc. where here it is building a town.

I am a lover of HOGs, TMs and M3s, but I also like more variety and that is were this one falls. I like the option of creating my own city with no penalities or solving any puzzles. I like being able to decide how taxes should be set. Upgrading the amount of employees that work in the schools, hospitals, for the city etc. Putting trees, parks, fountains, and benches where I want them to enhance my town. I know that when I start a new village, it will be totally different from the one I have built today.

The only thing I wish was included was the option of zooming out to see the layout of my town as a whole.

Thanks BF for the variety of games you give us.

Happyville gets a Seattle thumbs up for me for a relaxing afternoon and evening at a bargin price.

[Post New]by Mortal_Godiva on Mar 27, 10 6:39 AM
The game is truly lacking the excitement of a TM or strategy game and it unfortunately tends to be boring after a while. As for the "manager has run out of sprites" issue: I am sure my PC is up to speed of the graphics/video card (as I frequently play more 'PC intimidating games'). This error message happens in my game when I choose a decorative item to place and don't place it quick enough. I don't regret the purchase of this game as I used the Springfever coupon and the game speed allows me to relax and sip on my morning cup of coffee without spilling it. It is definitely a refreshing switch to the endless and repetitive list of HOG games available.

I personally wish more games like "My Kingdom for a Princess" would be developed which brilliantly captured both strategy and TM. I am hoping that the upcoming Playfirst release "Royal Envoy" will meet this exciting criteria.

Edited on 03/27/2010 at 6:42:25 AM PST

Saturn1985
Minnow
Minnow
286 Posts

[Post New]by Saturn1985 on Mar 27, 10 7:24 AM
Mortal_Godiva wrote:
I personally wish more games like "My Kingdom for a Princess" would be developed which brilliantly captured both strategy and TM. I am hoping that the upcoming Playfirst release "Royal Envoy" will meet this exciting criteria.

Just to avoid confusion, Royal Envoy is being developed and released by Playrix It will be released on next Wednesday as a Special Edition, as one of the developers announced at GZ just yesterday.

Another nice surprise - the Russian version of My Kingdom for the Princess 2 has been released just recently, so it might get here soon

Go to: