bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Haunted Train: Clashing Worlds Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Oct 18, 16 12:29 AM
Deep Shadows, creators of the Tales of Terror series, invites you to climb aboard Charon's mystical train for another Haunted Train mystery!

A strange supernatural phenomenon has appeared suddenly in Amsterdam, claiming many victims. As you investigate, you begin to have strange visions of another dimension, where mysterious figures hint at a diabolical plan. Unless you stop it, the destruction will spread from city to city until the entire world is destroyed! Will you track down the source of the phenomenon and save the world? Or will your investigation be derailed by disaster? Find out in this thrilling Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure game!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Haunted Train: Clashing Worlds Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 18, 16 11:04 AM
Another wonderfully done addition to the "Haunted Train" series. I own the previous 2 games, and loved them both.

There are Omega signs to collect in the main scenes, and pearls to find in the HOS. They are not easy to spot (the pearls, not the omega signs), but you can check the Strategy Guide, which shows you where to find them.

Love the mini games and the highly interactive HOS, as well as the story and gameplay.

mrm2006
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

[Post New]by mrm2006 on Oct 18, 16 11:56 AM
Hello Everyone!!!

My notes after playing the beta were: "colls/morphing objects in HOGs/think you need to have played the previous games to get this". I think I still agree with that statement.

The graphics were a bit dark (could be my eyes today ). Sound fx and voiceovers were done well.

4 difficulty levels including 'custom', where you can adjust the 'skip' and 'hint' recharge times to '0'. Now how's THAT for cool! The transportable map is easy to use which is great because I need things simple. . The 'hint' button does not transport. Mini games were somewhat difficult for me, which is saying something because I don't usually 'skip' games and I skipped at least 2. Interactive HOGs consisted of a LOT of find this ... put it there ... then pick it up .. with silhouettes. I don't usually mind that type of game play but this seemed excessive to me. I noticed you also repeat HOG areas and there is no alternative game to play (such as a match 3).

Collectibles include Omega signs in each area .... 44 signs would seem to indicate a fairly long game ..... not too difficult to find. 'Pearls' are also in the HOGs. Are they morphing objects? Because these were extremely difficult for me to find. There is an indicator in both the HOG area and game play scene showing whether you have found your collectible or pearl. I liked that feature.

There is also a 'gadget' that gets rid of 'negative energy/rift (?). I never did understand the purpose of this 'rift' nor the reason we needed the 'gadget' ... an 'eternal amulet of happiness ... or whatever'.

I consider myself an Intermediate game player and generally play on the 'custom' level making things as easy as possible for the sake of my review. However, I found this game on the difficult side. Also, I just didn't 'get' what was going on. I came away from the demo STILL feeling as though I needed to play the previous games in order to be 'up' on what was going on.

I wish I would have loved it .... even liked it .... but I just did not. There was just too much 'I just don't get it' going on, combined with the excessiveness of the 'pick it up and put it there', that completely turned me off. Maybe too much to do to be able to immerse myself in the storyline??? Unfortunately, this will not be a purchase for me.

For those who continue on the saga of Charon ....

ENJOY!

nightkat1
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by nightkat1 on Oct 18, 16 2:29 PM
If I recall correctly, tell me if I'm wrong, but this developer frequently, if not always, has some sort of stupid "gadget" to get rid of shadows, dark energy, or some other type of nonsense. It's just so tiresome; no buy for me.

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Oct 18, 16 6:27 PM
I'm with mrm2006, as I also didn't 'get' what was really going on, and the reason for the amulet. I assume the song at the beginning was an attempt at presenting the introduction/ back story in a different way, but to me it fell short.

The graphics were wonderful and some of the puzzles were different. There seemed to be more HOS than puzzles, and the HOS were very interactive and extensive.

This is a game that I will wait and play the SE before making a decision on purchasing.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 19, 16 12:01 AM
Oh, thanks for reminding me of that song at the beginning, Abarrett. NEVER do that again, developers !! That was an agonising minute I had to sit through. *shudders*

As for the amulet... I think that it's there to take away the blue part (dark side) of the scene that comes up, and to bring that part back to normal. Why that has been done, I am not sure either.

For myself, I can do without any of the gadgets many developers add nowadays to get rid of this or find that in a scene. It's fun the first time I use it, but after the 5th time it gets boring and later on just tedious.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 31, 16 10:48 AM
I was thinking of getting the SE when it's out, but bought the CE with this last weekend's sale. What a disappointment. I own the other 2 games in the series and love them both, but this one is a real let down. I have been so bored while playing the game that I couldn't even finish the main game.

The main things I didn't like were: having to go into the same HOS twice. I don't much care for them to begin with - the fewer the better for me - and having to go twice into the same HOS was tedious. Not only that, there were a lot of HOS to begin with, and having to do them twice was just horrible.

I also didn't care for the gameplay. There was nothing fun or exciting or entertainment about this game. It was not even really to do with the "Haunted Train" anymore. A real big let-down.

Go to: