Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Harrowed Halls: Lakeview Lane Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Oct 20, 16 12:37 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 10/20/2016 at 6:39:53 AM PST

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Harrowed Halls: Lakeview Lane Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by jennsmom on Oct 20, 16 4:47 AM
My notes from the beta say, "Poor story development; bad graphics; choppy views. Not even on the 'maybe' list." Still, I might be interested in the SE - with a coupon - if I'm desperate. I was disappointed because I usually like this developer.

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Harrowed Halls: Lakeview Lane Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Oct 20, 16 6:40 AM
Hello everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Harrowed Halls: Lakeview Lane Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Harrowed Halls: Lakeview Lane Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBellerophon

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Oct 20, 16 7:22 AM
After the warning in red about the psychological aspects of this game, I was expecting a lot more then it ultimately delivered. I actually found it terribly dull and was really disappointed with it. It comes across as quite juvenile; for example, every time a character speaks you get their picture, their name and their relationship to Rachel e.g. 'Luke (son)'. Just in case you though the little boy was her husband, presumably Pointless and superfluous.

Nice enough graphics, a few HOS which I found unusually tricky and somewhat annoying, easy puzzles which I skipped because they just didn't interest me, loads of morphing objects that I found by just clicking on everything and a map that transports. I didn't even look at the SG or the extras.

You have a 'smartphone' that you use as a gadget to find ghosts. Thrilling

And just to add to the excitement, there's another missing zip(per) pull. How original

I did play to the end of the demo hoping it would get better but it didn't. Not even as an SE would this game interest me. I found it excruciatingly dull.

No technical issues with the demo. Desktop running Win7 Prof 64-bit.

nightkat1
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by nightkat1 on Oct 20, 16 11:23 AM
Editor's Choice? Really? I did a beta on this game, and as I recall, didn't give it a great review. Same as many of you have stated above: smartphone as "gadget" totally turned me off. Then there's that missing zipper pull! Please!!!!! Can't someone come up with something a little more creative and innovative? I'm amused at the "warning" of a psychological thriller meant for adults. Not even close, in my opinion. For those who like it, enjoy.

petrinov
Guppy
Guppy
141 Posts

[Post New]by petrinov on Oct 20, 16 3:37 PM
I have to tell you after reading most reviews thought I wouldn't even try this game. But, I did and I must say it has piqued my interest. You are not going to see the normal taken by the hand and told what to do every time you make a move here. I have found this rather interesting, so this will be a buy for me.
As for the codes no longer working, BF offers sales every week, so put it to the side until a sale is on. That's what I'm doing. This game is sort of refreshing compared to all the other games out there.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Oct 20, 16 6:49 PM
Hi all. Well, what can I say about this game? Graphics weren't bad, mostly clear. Colors started out with a bit too much pink, but quickly cleared up. Game play was very good, no problems during the demo. Animation wasn't too bad, but movements were occasionally choppy, mostly with the characters. Voices weren't bad, but lacked much emotion, except for the bad guy. His voice was quite good. Not a lot of character interaction. Music is very quiet and does not lend to the "haunted house" of this game. Other than a few ghosts here and there, nothing was really scary to me. Ghosts were very well done. Even got to use a Smart Phone to find them. Not really all that much in the way of sound FX, which would have helped this one a lot.

HOPs were interactive and well done, but nothing new. Items were very easy to see, although some scenes were a little cluttered. I believe I only ran across 4 HOPs during the demo. At least one HOP was played more than once. I do not see where you can switch to another game if you get tired of the HOPs. Puzzles were painfully simple and took no time at all to complete, except for one that ended up frustrating me. Hint system is helpful, except once when it said "...done everything here, maybe I should check my inventory." Wasn't anything to do in my inventory. Come to find out, I needed to use an item from the inventory...in another room! You do have the transport feature.

Collectibles are very disappointing. You only need to find 44 morphing objects. Not as easy as you think, and some scenes have multiple objects.

There is a lot of back tracking in this game, which gets boring very quickly. Because of this, I found this game moving quite slowly. The story was okay, but nothing new. I just don't feel this one is CE worthy. Some will like this a lot, but personally, I think it is geared more toward a beginner. For that reason, I will recommend it for beginners, but not for seasoned gamers. It just wasn't for me, no buy.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one is exactly what you are looking for. Thanks for the review.

nelliegemini
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,898 Posts

[Post New]by nelliegemini on Oct 21, 16 6:52 AM
Oh dear. Played 6 minutes - then got the missing zipper pull. Closed and deleted. Perhaps if the devs insist on using this trope they'll put it in later on when the game has had a chance to grab my interest.

cnbmimi11
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

[Post New]by cnbmimi11 on Oct 21, 16 10:21 AM
I enjoyed the game. Sure it is a bit slow and you have to think but that is what makes it good. Characters are kind of boring but nothing is perfect. I am playing because I want to find out what these 11 people have in common and why were they killed. The game reminds me of the movie Deadly Sins. Give the game a chance.

MaryLent
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

[Post New]by MaryLent on Oct 27, 16 8:34 PM
I rather like this game, want to see how all the sins are represented and why the ghost is vengeful.

Bartsister
Clownfish
Clownfish
710 Posts

Re: Please post your REVIEWS for Harrowed Halls: Lakeview Lane Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Bartsister on Nov 5, 16 6:59 PM
Based on completed game and bonus

I thought this game was absolutely fantastic. Like the last Sable Maze: Sinister Knowledge, I am extremely impressed with Daily Magic of late.

As far as the story, forget the family characters - it's weird. So pushing that aside, you bought a house that is haunted by 11 ghosts all who died in less than pleasant circumstances. So, find the keys, learn their stories through notes and flashbacks of murder and sin, and hopefully get your strange family back. Evil runs amok. I thought it was fun.

Often in games where you have to find a number of things, the focus is on the first few and then the last ones are rushed and almost dropped in your lap - as if the developers forgot they needed to finish the game or something. Not so here! Each of the 11 keys / victims are given their due. For each couple of keys, a new set of rooms unlock so you keep moving and aren't stuck in the same place. A lot of effort went in to each key and the person's story. Nothing was rushed or phoned in here.

I thought the graphics were just fine. Once you got into it, the scenes were crisp and colors varied.

Challenge? Also varied. Some puzzles were simple but many made me think and work a bit. The HOPs actually were quite interesting and the interactive items challenging. You play some of the HOP scenes twice, but you play them differently. It's not an item list scene and then another. They change it up.

Length was incredible. About 66 pp. of gameplay in the Strategy Guide. Like I said, none of the key stories are short changed. Puzzles don't keep repeating over and over and even HOPs rotate in style. The gadget, a phone app, changes each time you use it, so it isn't a repeating puzzle again and again over the course of the game.

I was so very impressed with this game. Once you've moved into the house and get on with finding the keys, the story and game just takes off. With the negative early reviews, I wasn't sure what to expect, but I ended up enjoying this immensely. I strongly urge people to give this game a shot if they haven't already.

[Post New]by margaretmae1 on Nov 6, 16 10:43 PM
Absolutely fantastic. Trial only, but very smooth, no glitches, and on an old PC with standard video card. Good job!

[Post New]by kerith90angel on Nov 20, 16 9:53 PM
For anyone that wants a detailed review based on the finished game & bonus play.....
and details AFTER THE DEMO.... AND details about CE CONTENT AND WHAT UNLOCKS... I listed a review under the games main title. I'm usually found under "NEW" posted in drop down since it takes me a while to complete these.

ps... It took me so long to complete the review (because of my love of these games) I figured I'd post it here as well.

Take Care!

cme550
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by cme550 on Jan 6, 17 7:24 AM
I'm going to be in the minority but I liked this game. There were a few roll eyes moments for me, but all in all, I enjoyed it a lot.

[Post New]by Monikovsky on Jan 15, 17 1:28 PM
I enjoyed the game. HO interesting, sometimes tricky. Game not too difficult, not too easy, just right for relaxed play. Music in the game not annoying. So, happy for a purchase and recommend even if you are a complete beginner.

Go to: