bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Comments and Reviews for Mr. Puzzle

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Mar 27, 10 3:02 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Mr. Puzzle? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Hope to hear from you!

bfgFlounder

QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

Re:Comments and Reviews for Mr. Puzzle

[Post New]by QEIII on Mar 27, 10 7:50 AM
This is more comment than review! I enjoyed the demo. esp the variation of doing 3, 4 or more pictures in layers at the same time. I thought that clever and made a good variation on the usual. I think more and more pieces are added to make it harder as time went on. You can also do the normal type of jigsaw using different layouts. I also think you upload and use your own pics - although not sure about that. I did that in Anka and really enjoyed it. The jigsaw pictures themselves were beautiful and colourful and got progressively more difficult as the game went on as you would expect.

I won't be buying as I was getting a little bored towards the end of the hour. However- if I had grandchildren I might well have considered buying it as it seems ideal for children on the plain jigsaw option.

soblessed57
Manatee
Manatee
3,780 Posts

[Post New]by soblessed57 on Mar 27, 10 7:55 AM
I thought it might be interesting until I read what a reviewer wrote at another site, Just one sentence from the review killed it for me...
"The thing I don't like and will keep me from buying is there is no place off the puzzle board to place pieces you aren't working with. You have to keep moving pieces around to free up space. "

That alone would make it the worst puzzle design in existence IMHO!!!

Edited on 03/27/2010 at 7:55:40 AM PST

SublimeOne
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by SublimeOne on Mar 27, 10 10:56 AM
Yeah, I agree. It's really missing a place to offload puzzle pieces you aren't ready to use yet. That's a big problem for me.

I found the whole gameplay space very confining. I also wasn't crazy about the multi-layer puzzles but I can see that someone who is looking for more of a challenge might appreciate it.

Frankly, I use a freebie game called Everyday Jigsaw and it's great. It lets you control the number and shape of the pieces and you can bring in any of your own pictures. I just download pics off the net and happily play away. I've done puzzles with as many as 1500 pieces easily with that game. I can't imagine being able to do that with Mr. Puzzle.

That's OK, though. I've got a list of about 10 games I'm probably going to buy on the sale this weekend so I really don't need anymore!

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Mar 27, 10 12:16 PM
I enjoyed my hour and bought it. Needed one last punch and was on the fence with the DD HOG so so. Toss in 2 bucks more and get a new interesting puzzle game. Beautiful pictures, nature, animals, cities, fine art etc, 17 pages to scroll through.

There are complaints on the other thread about pop up hints. I didn't get those at all, no hand holding unless I wanted it on Normal. I switched game name and tried Expert. Then I was asked if I wanted the tutorial on the layered puzzles, which I did before trying one. On that format, Expert, there is a Mr Puzzle icon bottom left, if you click it you get help, another icon click and it will put the last piece in for you or show you a piece. So I don't know what the popups are all about in neg reviews, I didn't get any.

I am used to Jigsaw365 with options for number pieces and various shapes with traditional jigs. I haven't found those options (yet) for more challenge. The Normal pieces were large, oddly shaped and pretty easy like minis in other games.

Option icon if you want just the corner and border pieces, so fewer to deal with to start. Click again and get the rest. I moved them to outer edges already done and smaller pieces can go outside the frame for sorting colors. Otherwise there isn't a tray for extras to move them. However, unlike J365, you don't lose pieces, they are on the surface, or when clicked the one below shows. Not sure what you call that, transparent?

Another option is the square pieces you switch on a grid, dragging them to another square and swapping. The Layered puzzles are new to me, challenging but tutorial is good. 3 puzzles stacked and you switch them trying to find the pieces that make the top picture. When that's put together you keep switching the other layer pieces til you get the lower one put together, then the third. Very interesting challenge, a time bandit so just did the tutorial one to see how it works, then same on my own without hints.

I think the option to get help is only if you click that Mr Puzzle for help, so at least on WinXP I didn't get pop up hand holding, maybe others do on Vista etc. I've noticed on one of my mahjong games it plays differently, the visuals and icons than on XP desktop with different graphics card. Mystery.

Rather have this new puzzle game than a hohum HOG, fresh and different.Was on first page as a soft launch, 30%off, don't have enough RAM to run the other new release since crash.

INGamePlayer
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by INGamePlayer on Mar 27, 10 3:09 PM
I really like this game as a pleasant change from HOGs and adventures. Apparently the players concerned with no space off game to place pieces were doing just regular jigsaws. That would bother me, too, if that's the case.

That is not an issue with the multi-layer puzzles, which I was doing. Two, three or four puzzles are layered together, with pieces in stacks. The first job is to click through each of the stacks to get all the pieces of one of the puzzles on top. Then it is a matter of swapping pieces to put the picture together correctly. Small pictures of each puzzle in the group are available at the top of the screen to consult if stumped. It is advisable to do the easiest-to-recognize puzzle first, which reduces the number of pieces to deal with the next time. If you are really stuck on a puzzle and have accomplished a decent amount of the picture, there is a little leprechaun or something to click on who will finish it up automatically for you.

I also had the impression that you could upload your own photos to the program, but didn't follow up on that in the hour. There appeared to be a good number of puzzles available in gorgeous, natural pictures, unlike the very few, Buddhist- and Goddess worship-centered pictures of the Jig Art Quest game, which I was extremely sorry I purchased.

I won't be buying this right now, but if it ever comes up on the $2.99 special I will probably pick it up. I was surprised and sorry when my hour was up. A nice diversion.

peachycat
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by peachycat on Mar 27, 10 3:34 PM
Once I got the hang of the multi-level puzzles, I really enjoyed them. Nice break from my favorites which are HOG.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Mar 29, 10 1:23 PM
Not my real my cup of tea. I love normally all puzzle/jigsaw games, but this one is only bad

meisie99
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by meisie99 on Apr 11, 10 2:03 PM
I'm very excited about this game. After only 10 minutes into the demo I bought it. I'm a bit anal...unfortunately, or maybe just methodical. I love that you call up the puzzle and you have 11 choices for piece design. You also get to pick rotation of the pieces. Plus you can select only corners to start, or split the puzzle into four sections and work one section at a time. You can preview the finished puzzle and change the background of the playing board. Plus you get to choose normal or expert. So I figure there are 17 pages with 15 puzzles per page and eleven different designs for each puzzle, will give me 2805 puzzles to work in normal. I'm not sure about expert mode because there is no way to change it without starting as a new user or new game. And that's just for the jigsaw portion.

Then there's the multilayer puzzles which are challenging and there are 6 pages of these with 9 puzzles per page. The puzzles range from 2 to 6 layers. I'm hoping in expert mode the number of pieces change.

But even so I would have bought the game just for the multilayer puzzles, or just jigsaw. What an added bonus to get both games in one. And the music is soothing. Count me Happy, Happy, Happy!

Go to: