gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

Challenge 38: Magic Bottle

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Mar 27, 10 11:38 PM
Ok this is really ticking me off!!! The answer is just plain WRONG.

The givens:
A bottle of the Sorcerer's remedy costs 110 shells.
The remedy costs 100 shells more than the bottle.

Question:
How many shells would the empty bottle cost?

So we need to solve for the cost of the bottle which we'll call "X"

We are given two values for the remedy: 110 and X + 100 which gives us the equation: x + 100 = 110 so use the rule of moving values to the other side of the equals sign by changing the sign (I know technically it's subtract the same value from both sides lol) and you get x = 110 - 100 = 10 So the cost of the bottle is 10 shells. Or if you want to be literal it would be x + 100 - 100 = 110 - 100 since by changing both sides of an equation by equal amounts you don't change the values lol. Either way the answer is 10 which according to the game is wrong!!!

TEN!!! Yet the answer given is FIVE!!! Sorry but you can't just ignore algebra and the laws of mathmatics just cause you feel like it and want to be "clever"... it's not clever it's STUPID!!!

Are these errors frustrating anyone else???????

MrLipid
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

Re:Challenge 38: Magic Bottle

[Post New]by MrLipid on Mar 28, 10 12:12 PM
I'm ticked off with the performance of the game, but not the puzzles.

The trick with the Magic Bottle is that the remedy has to be worth 100 shells more than the bottle.

So, if the bottle is worth 1 shell, the remedy isn't worth 109 shells more. It's worth 108.

The remedy has to be worth 100 shells more INCLUDING whatever the bottle is worth. The answer consists of whatever the bottle is worth minus that value from the remedy to produce a difference of 100. So what you wind up with is something like this:

110 - (Bottle = 1) + (Remedy = 1 (to match the bottle cost)) = 108
110 - (Bottle = 2) + (Remedy = 2 (to match the bottle cost)) = 106
110 - (Bottle = 3) + (Remedy = 3 (to match the bottle cost)) = 104
110 - (Bottle = 4) + (Remedy = 4 (to match the bottle cost)) = 102
110 - (Bottle = 5) + (Remedy = 5 (to match the bottle cost)) = 100

Now if the game would just run better.

Edited on 03/28/2010 at 12:17:13 PM PST

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Mar 28, 10 1:54 PM
That still doesn't make any sense to me.

You have three values:

1) The value of the remedy in the bottle which is 110
2) The value of the remedy without a bottle which is bottle cost + 100
3) The value of the bottle with no remedy aka empty bottle

If the bottle cost is 5 which is the answer given then you if you wanted to apply the formula of the remedy without the bottle cost being bottle cost + 100 you would get the cost of the remedy with the bottle to be 105... instead of the 110 given.

The exact givens (I wrote it down) is "A bottle of the Sorcerer's remedy costs 110 shells. The remedy costs 100 shells more than the bottle." It doesn't say the second sentence means "a bottle of the remedy" it just says "the remedy" which would be the remedy WITHOUT the bottle not INCLUDING the bottle.

Because the first sentence is stated as "A bottle of the Sorcerer's remedy" then for the second sentence to just say "The remedy" implies that it is JUST the remedy without the bottle. That is so irritating to me... it makes the game totally NOT FUN.

To me that's not really a puzzle that's just saying because you should be a mind reader... like saying my dog is black. What color is my dog? And when someone answers "Black" they laugh and say "ha ha you're wrong! I said my dog was black but I didn't say he was ONLY black he's really black and white!!" That's stupid.

Sorry for the odd sentence structure... my scroll bar isn't working right so I have to type and remember what I wrote because it doesn't show past the text box size... really need to get that fixed LOL.

MrLipid
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by MrLipid on Mar 29, 10 1:46 PM
Maybe this, from http://www.puzzles.com/puzzleplayground/BottleAndCork/BottleAndCork.htm, will help.

Problem: "A bottle costs a dollar more than a cork. Together they cost $1.10. How much does the bottle cost and how much does the cork cost?"

Solution: "Mostly people tend to say (or just think) at first that the bottle costs $1 and the cork costs 10¢. But in this case the bottle would cost only 90¢ more than the cork. The right answer is that the bottle costs $1.05 and the cork costs 5¢; now this makes exactly a dollar difference between the bottle and the cork."

jenak3769
Clownfish
Clownfish
958 Posts

Challenge 38: Magic Bottle

[Post New]by jenak3769 on Mar 29, 10 1:50 PM
gamergirl675 wrote:Ok this is really ticking me off!!! The answer is just plain WRONG.

The givens:
A bottle of the Sorcerer's remedy costs 110 shells.
The remedy costs 100 shells more than the bottle.

Question:
How many shells would the empty bottle cost?

So we need to solve for the cost of the bottle which we'll call "X"

We are given two values for the remedy: 110 and X + 100 which gives us the equation: x + 100 = 110 so use the rule of moving values to the other side of the equals sign by changing the sign (I know technically it's subtract the same value from both sides lol) and you get x = 110 - 100 = 10 So the cost of the bottle is 10 shells. Or if you want to be literal it would be x + 100 - 100 = 110 - 100 since by changing both sides of an equation by equal amounts you don't change the values lol. Either way the answer is 10 which according to the game is wrong!!!

TEN!!! Yet the answer given is FIVE!!! Sorry but you can't just ignore algebra and the laws of mathmatics just cause you feel like it and want to be "clever"... it's not clever it's STUPID!!!

Are these errors frustrating anyone else???????

Yep some of the math answers were very questionable in other words they didn't add up to any math I was taught..

Go to: