bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Comments and Reviews for Island: The Lost Medallion

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Mar 28, 10 3:35 AM
Hey Fishies!

What do you think of Island: The Lost Medallion? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Hope to hear from you!

Here’s an example as well: http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/84613.page

Let me know if you have any questions!

Edited on 03/28/2010 at 3:35:34 AM PST

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

Re:Comments and Reviews for Island: The Lost Medallion

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Mar 28, 10 4:24 AM
I am really impressed that is offering some terrific games during the Spring sale, this being one of them.

Great intricate mix of standard Hidden Object balanced with Fractured Inventory Object Puzzles and unique (as in not repeating) Mini-Games. The story, while nothing new, is at least fully fleshed out and imo engaging, if a bit poorly translated. I personally liked the cut scene graphics done in comic book adventure style and well paced for my reading speed. Cut scenes are skippable, but they move along quite quickly. The graphics for the rest of the game are clear and bright and excellent. Music changes often and has a pleasing "jungley" quality to it. Had me rockin' out a bit when the drums kicked in. Hints quickly refill and allow you to skip mini-games. The Journal is very helpful as well as it lets you know what is needed and helps develop the story, so where with most games journals can be ignored I recommend reading this one at each new scene.

I liked Island: The Lost Medallion a lot and bought it (on sale! ) after only a half-hour of demo. Now with probably 2 hours under my belt, and the game is not yet finished, I am well satisfied. Poodlebear Approved!

Rachieroos
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,039 Posts

[Post New]by Rachieroos on Mar 28, 10 4:30 AM
Right, if it's Poodlebear approved, I'm having it Thanks for another review, Poodlebear. I always wait to read yours before deciding whether to buy... we seem to have the same taste and gaming times so it's always really useful. For the FIRST time ever, I will have filled 2 punch cards this month!!!

bball111
Guppy
Guppy
194 Posts

[Post New]by bball111 on Mar 28, 10 5:08 AM
I also like it a lot. Will wait a bit to see if people say it is really short.

janspack
Herring
Herring
338 Posts

[Post New]by janspack on Mar 28, 10 5:09 AM
I've just finished the demo and have bought the game using the Springfever offer. I like this game a lot. It combines several different game modes and is difficult enough without being impossible. Really good game and well worth buying.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Mar 28, 10 5:43 AM
I quite liked this game but I wasn't disappointed when the time ran out which is a sign that it's a no-buy for me. I spent far too long looking for tiny parts of a photo in the library and didn't realise the photo held the clue to where the secret door was. So asked for hint with objects in order...the key 'opens something', the light bulb ' a handy source of light', the ladder 'for reaching somewhere inaccessable' (or words to that effect)......well how useful to be told a key opens something etc etc. Finally got to the photo having wasted more time being told completely useless information, then got the clue to the secret door. By this time I was fed up with the whole game!

I might reconsider this one when I've stopped being irritated!

TerryMann
Shark
Shark
10,717 Posts

[Post New]by TerryMann on Mar 28, 10 5:56 AM
Thank You- Angelfish106- That is the reason why, I do not like IHO's. So darn frustrating, I was trying explain why I don't like IHO's on another thread- but I didn't think the words came out right. But you described perfectly why I don't like 'em. I get so annoyed when something may be hidden under something else, why not tell first- before I am there clicking on every single item. TMann

Edited on 03/28/2010 at 5:59:10 AM PST

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Mar 28, 10 6:01 AM
I'm not crazy about fragmented objects either. I too wasn't disappointed when the demo ended. It's a no from me, though I really wanted to like the game.

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Mar 28, 10 6:21 AM
angelfish106 wrote:I quite liked this game but I wasn't disappointed when the time ran out which is a sign that it's a no-buy for me. I spent far too long looking for tiny parts of a photo in the library and didn't realise the photo held the clue to where the secret door was. So asked for hint with objects in order...the key 'opens something', the light bulb ' a handy source of light', the ladder 'for reaching somewhere inaccessable' (or words to that effect)......well how useful to be told a key opens something etc etc. Finally got to the photo having wasted more time being told completely useless information, then got the clue to the secret door. By this time I was fed up with the whole game!

That's exactly when I bailed out as well ..Sometimes I get in theses moods where even a tiny fragment that I can't locate...Bugs the hell out of me ..Other times it doesn't bother me at all ..So I think it really depends on my mood ..But I left very irritated as well ..I'll try again later ..

[Post New]by hydrogibbon on Mar 28, 10 7:26 AM
I thought the items in the hidden objects scenes were very hard to see but I seemed to find them all with no problems and minimal hints. The game play seems very straight forward to me and the story is engaging my interest. Despite the difficulty in seeing the objects, this is a buy for me. I certainly will get $4.89 worth of entertainment out of it.

kelvy0303
Stingray
Stingray
4,533 Posts

[Post New]by kelvy0303 on Mar 28, 10 8:13 AM
A definite buy. Game play is interesting without being too difficult. Needed minimal help with hints. Just got to beach in hour demo. Should be a good length. The mix of h o with frog and mini games is what I like. Liked the music as well.

lagj
Clownfish
Clownfish
588 Posts

[Post New]by lagj on Mar 28, 10 8:51 AM
Thanks Poodlebear, I am always impressed with your comments and reviews. We seem to think along the same lines for games. I will demo and probably buy.
Thanks again

checked spelling

Edited on 03/28/2010 at 8:52:59 AM PST

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Mar 28, 10 8:52 AM
I shy away from the fragments, hard on the eyes with small screen, tiresome when I want to get on with the game. Hard puzzles I have to skip. But for some reason I am comfortable with game so far, 45 min into it and just in the library I quit for awhile.

One thing I really do like is choosing which item I want a hint on, not random I could find myself. I use more hints on a timed demo to move along. I can understand those frustrated spending so much time on first scene, it did take me longer than the next one.

Clear and bright graphics with color is a big plus, and the diary helped with a picture of the puzzle to put together which saved me time putting it together.

I'm sure it is a buy for me, but a dilema is when. Just filled my 6 yesterday with a DD (just in case nothing I wanted this month) so do I want the sale price and a 7th game left dangling, or wait til the 1st and get it free with my punch and start a new card. I seem to do this every month, a DD for the 6th.

Running smoothly on my pc XP, no tech issues, SVP3, Int Exp 7, 15" flat screen looks great. Only 512RAM so glad to find a new game not needing more. My Vista laptop crashed totally so I bought a new Toshiba but it is still in the box. I'm concerned now some games won't run on Win7, 64bit. Seems I read on forums most games run on 32 but I don't understand any of it. So, hesitate buying any more games til I find out if even my others will run on 64bit. Anyone running this on Win7, 64b? Hate to buy games that will only run on my old pc 512ram cuz new laptop has 4 gigs and I only buy laptops for my games, nothing else.

Back to the topic, I think it is a good game for us average players. And if short I never mind because I'm usually anxious to finish one to go on to my next unplayed game and I'm slow.

lagj
Clownfish
Clownfish
588 Posts

[Post New]by lagj on Mar 28, 10 8:59 AM
Puzzleone said:

"I'm sure it is a buy for me, but a dilema is when. Just filled my 6 yesterday with a DD (just in case nothing I wanted this month) so do I want the sale price and a 7th game left dangling, or wait til the 1st and get it free with my punch and start a new card. I seem to do this every month, a DD for the 6th."

That's my dilema too.

mr7933
Guppy
Guppy
120 Posts

[Post New]by mr7933 on Mar 28, 10 9:03 AM
I don't like fragmented objects at all. I don't understand the point. I didn't even finish the trial because of this. I'm sure there are those who like it, but it isn't for me.

Const_happy
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by Const_happy on Mar 28, 10 9:05 AM
puzzledone wrote:....So, hesitate buying any more games til I find out if even my others will run on 64bit. Anyone running this on Win7, 64b?

I have i Win7 64b - it's ok, no technical problems at all.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Mar 28, 10 9:10 AM
Two other things, small negs. By the time I was out of the first scene, being slow, the music was so loopy it was getting on my nerves. I turned music option to the far off but I could still hear faintly. Hate to mute my pc sound and not hear sound effects. I guess on laptop not a problem cuz on the old one I heard nothing without headphones.

The other was that computer password puzzle. It was really making me dizzy trying to follow the moving letters so fast. Maybe I missed something but didn't see where to skip it, guess my eyes got so out of focus. I stuck with it, clock running, but by the time I grabbed half of them there were fewer to have to spot. You sure have to move your eyeballs fast as well as the hand, so if you have a vertigo issue best to skip it if you can. I did feel proud that I got it, just took forever.

I usually feel more secure when there is a WT before I buy frustration. I guess the TGT games lag behind til released and featured?

Now I want to go back and finish with 15 min left, good sign of a buy

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Mar 28, 10 9:19 AM
Const_happy wrote:
puzzledone wrote:....So, hesitate buying any more games til I find out if even my others will run on 64bit. Anyone running this on Win7, 64b?

I have i Win7 64b - it's ok, no technical problems at all.

Thanks Const_happy, set my mind at ease. I read a lot of tech posts altho I've had so few, seems the Win7 issues have more to do with screen sizes, like tiny windows or black borders. Maybe I'm safe with the small 15.6 screen and whatever that setting is average 700x1000 something. Altho it is widescreen and that can make stretch distortions and fuzzier. I should just set the darn thing up and answer my own question but it will be high stress time doing it. Guess I'm prolonging that agony having more fun shopping bargains

sunnny
Manatee
Manatee
3,945 Posts

[Post New]by sunnny on Mar 28, 10 9:57 AM
I loved the demo and bought the game.
I will not go into extensive review since I think that
has been done already

Just a comment for fishies who don't like fragmented objects.
I don't mind them.
I just look if there is any colour, which would stand out
from the backround.
For the rest, I do not look at the list, just anything, which has no
place being there.

deesi
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by deesi on Mar 28, 10 10:22 AM
angelfish106 wrote:I quite liked this game but I wasn't disappointed when the time ran out which is a sign that it's a no-buy for me. I spent far too long looking for tiny parts of a photo in the library and didn't realise the photo held the clue to where the secret door was. So asked for hint with objects in order...the key 'opens something', the light bulb ' a handy source of light', the ladder 'for reaching somewhere inaccessable' (or words to that effect)......well how useful to be told a key opens something etc etc. Finally got to the photo having wasted more time being told completely useless information, then got the clue to the secret door. By this time I was fed up with the whole game!

I got irritated with the hints on this too!

Go to: