mhoram
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

Am I doing it wrong???

[Post New]by mhoram on Oct 31, 16 5:40 PM
I'm pretty new to the game (playing a little less than 2 months). I've gradually gathered what I thought was a merry band of 15 friends to gift every day. (I've been unable to gift a new friend just added two days ago as everything on her list is from a challenge that ran before I started playing and I don't have the gems to buy the items)

I've secretly been hoarding a stash of ghost traps to gift my friends who have it on their list; therefore, I wrote down who gifted me yesterday so I wouldn't leave them out if I ran low. Only 4 people gifted me yesterday - I know that most people have a much larger listing of friends than I do and can't gift everyone on it every day, but looking back I've realized that I've been getting fewer gifts over the last couple of weeks.

So, have I been going about this all wrong? Would a better strategy be to keep track of those who gift and only gift in reciprocation? Do people stop gifting because they know they'll get a gift regardless? Do gifting strategies change during seasonal events, so I shouldn't overthink this and just continue as before???

...feeling like a homeowner who bought 5 bags of candy and only got 2 trick or treaters

GulfCoastGuppy
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,963 Posts

Re:Am I doing it wrong???

[Post New]by GulfCoastGuppy on Oct 31, 16 6:00 PM
Mhoram, please don't fret. Several things to consider. Some of your friends may be in different time zones even halfway around the world, some may work, or can only get in one or two gifting times. Also, anticipating a new event room, many people added LOTS of friends, only to have some of them...and their regular friends...lose their game IDs. Many of us gifted whom we could while the new IDs dribbled in.

Add a few more friends. And type little messages by your name like "pkn swap" or "trap trade". Hope this helps. There's still hours and hours left to receive...and give

tennco
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,001 Posts

[Post New]by tennco on Oct 31, 16 6:25 PM
I have 150 friends. They are not all active players. I have a chart with players listed in alphabetic order. I gift 15 a day. I start at a and work through my list. I do keep track of who gifts back. I dont keep track of what they gift unless I consider it a more generous gift. I try to gift everyone at least two times a week. I usually do not gift to someone who hasn't gifted back, but do occasionally to see if they are still playing. I try to make sure I gift back if they have sent to me two or three times. Some of my friends gift more often, some one time a week, some every two or three weeks. It doesn't matter to me. I agree some have more friends, some can't play as often, and some just may not have what I'm asking for. I have some friends that will gift long after I thought they may have quit the game. That's always a welcome surprise.

I do not get upset if someone hasn't gifted me for awhile. I still keep them on my list. You can do what you want, but I would get a few more friends. See what is manageable for you. I think everyone has to find a comfortable number to work with and then just enjoy the game.

begwood1
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
442 Posts

[Post New]by begwood1 on Oct 31, 16 6:32 PM
There's no right or wrong way. But many people have more than 15 friends and can't gift everyone every day. Some can't log on three times a day, so might only send five or ten gifts a day. Some might not have the items you need.

I recommend adding some friends -- at least over Christmas, when we can leave Christmas tree presents for as many people as we want!

sbaker2318
Manatee
Manatee
4,187 Posts

[Post New]by sbaker2318 on Oct 31, 16 6:42 PM
I agree with what everyone else said..........add a few more friends.........try 30 to 35......see how that works........you can delete or add more if needed.........always someone on vacation or has taken their wish list down or you just plain don't have what is on their wish list.

Try a few different things to see what works for YOU........I keep a list of who gifted and what (for swaps) and gift back in that order..........that works for me.......others do what works for them.

And I really hate to say it..........but there are a few "takers" out there........they add new players to see what they can get before you catch on and delete them........but most players are VERY generous.

heidinorkovi
Squid
Squid
66 Posts

[Post New]by heidinorkovi on Oct 31, 16 7:36 PM
hello I have around 50 friends. I write down from whom I get gifts on a notepad and then cross off when I return the gift to that player. That way I'm sure to return the gift. My friends are super generous, yet all different - some give every day, some are just happy to sit there without much action, it feels like some don't play every day, and sometimes I ask for hard to get things and they have no chance of sending me that (sorry). My way of doing it works but I am forever returning and hardly ever get to gift FIRST because I'm getting so many gifts that I'm always returning! Isn't that a problem that everyone would like to have? Agree with the comments and there is no right/wrong way. We thinks you needs more friends Heidi/Oz

mhoram
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by mhoram on Oct 31, 16 7:49 PM
Thanks for all the great info...I've read about the Christmas challenge and the need to add a bunch of friends. BUT, it gives me the heebie jeebies to think of neglecting that many people!

I'll see if it's already been posted, but I've noticed that there only seems to be goodies in the first two - three friend's rooms that I've visited. Is it different at x-mas?

Aurora378
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

[Post New]by Aurora378 on Oct 31, 16 8:41 PM
Just to add another perspective ...I would say to consider how often you enjoy gifting.

If you like to give every friend a gift everyday, then keep only 15 friends (or maybe a few extra for when friends are taking a break). If you would be happy gifting everyone every other day, increase your list to 30 friends. After a while, you will get to know your friends rhythms and can exchange gifts at a pace they can handle depending on the number of friends that THEY have.

I like to do a mix. I have a handful of friends that were extremely generous when I first started playing a year ago and have stuck with me, so I exchange gifts with them everyday. I gift new friends that are in the early to mid part of the game every other day, and I gift long term players who have already reached Level 74 every third day.

I am willing to gift 2 or 3 times without getting anything back, but then I wait for the person to reciprocate. It's easier now that we have the red and green icons to tell whether someone is actively playing, In the past you could send gifts and not be truly certain that the person was still playing.

Do what is comfortable and enjoyable for you! There's probably as many friend & gifting strategies in MC as there are players!

Enjoy playing your game!

Angelfish
Angelfish
1,060 Posts

[Post New]by 1457051 on Oct 31, 16 9:54 PM
I try to gift when and what I can. It can get overwhelming, and I'm only able to gift 10 a day.
Are you playing on ios, pc ? You might want to add friends. There are many threads here that have links to friends id. Try that.
When I first started I only had John as a friend. I really does help to get your ID out here.
If you are on ios -invite me i2354287

begwood1
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
442 Posts

[Post New]by begwood1 on Oct 31, 16 10:30 PM
The Christmas event IS different. You can leave gifts in your friend's rooms -- every friend, every day. And they will leave gifts in your Christmas room, under the tree.

To participate, you need to switch your room to the Christmas room, make sure your tree is unlocked with one of the keys you get from Trina, and then you need those pink boxes that drop once in a while from hidden object scenes, which you probably thought were useless! Your friends will get goodies and you'll get progress toward the Hometown Santa achievement. Plus it's really fun to give gifts without the 15-friend limit.

If it's the same as last year, the friends might get pet medallions, coins, diamonds, stamps, or valuable crafted items. It could be anything.

mhoram
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by mhoram on Oct 31, 16 10:49 PM
The x-mas event gifting sounds fun! Since I obviously don't have a Christmas room, do I need to be saving, earning, or finding anything now so that I can *get* a tree to put gifts under???

El62
Clownfish
Clownfish
659 Posts

[Post New]by El62 on Oct 31, 16 11:09 PM
you can open the christmasroom already. go to your private room( icon in the same row as your friendslist) click on the icon bottomleft and you can find the room there. the tree is free, the other things you can open with keys from Trina, but that is not neccesary to gift when christmas starts. you can always do that later, if and when you think you can spare the coins and/or shards.
you can also find the springroom there, where in the spring there is an extra HOSgame.
good luck finding all about the different events, that keep us busy
and most off all: enjoy the game.

Annelliegram
Shark
Shark
10,615 Posts

[Post New]by Annelliegram on Oct 31, 16 11:12 PM
mhoram wrote:The x-mas event gifting sounds fun! Since I obviously don't have a Christmas room, do I need to be saving, earning, or finding anything now so that I can *get* a tree to put gifts under???

1. It takes 1 key to unlock the Christmas room.....so you need to do at least one of Trina's quests to get that key.

2. There are 4 items/slots in the Christmas room....the tree unlocks for free, the other 3 take additional keys to unlock. There is no point in wasting any keys to unlock the other items because there is only 1 upgrade per item....and they all take a boatload of shards....the tree upgrade is the most expensive at 3000 shards.....the others will be 1000 or 15000 .....total amount to upgrade ALL items is 6500 shards.

3. The "Gift for a Friend" boxes are the "pink" gift boxes you sometimes see when completing an HOS.....they don't fall very frequently.....several players have worked the numbers and they fall an AVERAGE of 1 per every 40 or so rooms you go into.....sometimes you will visit 200 HOSs and not get any boxes....then you will get several in a row.

4. To see how many pink boxes you have.....look on your stamp inventory page.

5. The reason people want to have lots of friends is because they have lots of pink boxes.....when you leave a friend a gift, you also get a Santa's Medallion, which are needed for crafting some of the Christmas pets. There is also an achievement associated with leaving gifts under the tree....

Home Town Santa
1. Put 5 gifts under Christmas tree for your friend – 10 snowflakes
2. Put 100 gifts under Christmas tree for your friend – Reindeer (avatar)
3. Put 1000 gifts under Christmas tree for your friend – Mrs. Claus (avatar)

Annelliegram
Shark
Shark
10,615 Posts

[Post New]by Annelliegram on Oct 31, 16 11:16 PM
Additional info.....

Even though the tree is free to unlock, you do need to click on it to unlock it.

As stated, you will want to leave your room set to the Christmas room for the duration of the event.....if you go back to another room, many players will assume you are no longer playing the Christmas event and delete you as a friend.

When you leave a gift under someone's tree....they get a random gift from the MC inventory.....sometimes it is coins....sometimes it can even be some crafted item....you never know what they get and they never know who sends what.

Even if you run out of boxes, you will want to still keep your room set to Christmas room because many players have a lot of boxes to give out and you can still receive gifts even if you have no more to give out.

Go to: