JAhroni
Lobster
Lobster
88 Posts

It's bated breath, not baited

[Post New]by JAhroni on Nov 1, 16 10:07 PM
It's bated breath, not baited -- this is driving me nuts.

Annelliegram
Shark
Shark
10,615 Posts

Re:It's bated breath, not baited

[Post New]by Annelliegram on Nov 1, 16 10:16 PM
You and several other players!!!!

HennyMarie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,417 Posts

[Post New]by HennyMarie on Nov 2, 16 4:31 AM
Finaly something were it is advantage to only have english as a second language.. it does not bother me at all

GulfCoastGuppy
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,963 Posts

[Post New]by GulfCoastGuppy on Nov 2, 16 4:37 AM
HennyMarie wrote:Finaly something were it is advantage to only have english as a second language.. it does not bother me at all

HaHaHa...TOO cute!

[Post New]by Gamegirl1957 on Nov 2, 16 5:02 AM
I remember well what my English teacher taught us: it's only "baited" if you are the fish!
Shout out to all the Teachers lessons that have followed me throughout my life, even here in the Castle!

Vstromval
Herring
Herring
320 Posts

[Post New]by Vstromval on Nov 2, 16 10:29 AM
Gamegirl, we may well be the fish. The breath is baited to draw us in... Baited with rewards....?????
Thanks for the continued gifts my friend!

jack7242
Clownfish
Clownfish
721 Posts

[Post New]by jack7242 on Nov 2, 16 10:47 AM
RE shout out to English teachers, my current pet hates are "try and" instead of "try to" after all you would never think of saying I am trying and ..." The other is "waiting on" instead of "waiting for" My teacher used to say you wait for a bus but wait on a person!

As a result when someone gets it wrong I get a mental picture of people at a bus stop with aprons on and a towel over their arm as they wait on a bus!! HaHaHaHa

mamarose1900
Flounder
Flounder
2,190 Posts

[Post New]by mamarose1900 on Nov 2, 16 10:52 AM
One thing to remember is that they're using British Engilsh. Some of their rules, spellings, and conventions differ from American English. So some of these may be correct. Or they may be slang rather than formal English. Or they may be mistranslations.

Despite being a writer and grammarian, I tend to give them a little leeway unless it's obvious the game developers didn't spend the money to hire an English-speaking translator, so the errors are so egregious that the game becomes unplayable. I've seen a few of those in the download games I've looked at.

Have fun stormin' the castle!

sbaker2318
Manatee
Manatee
4,187 Posts

[Post New]by sbaker2318 on Nov 2, 16 11:19 AM
Another one I noticed...........we have "dice".........dice is plural.........there are a few HOS's that say "dice".......but mean "die"..........die is singular.

[Post New]by Luisada on Nov 2, 16 1:48 PM
Well, well! As I wrote in my first, ever, message to this forum, not only have I learned a lot about the strategies and tricks of our beloved MC ... I also have learned a lot about English language! Is there a better method to remember the correct use of prepositions than imagining a queue of waiters waiting FOR a bus?
Thank you then, Jack 7242, Sbaker 2318, Mamarose 1900 and all of you. BTW, excuse me if there are some "egregious errors" in this message.
And now, I'll see if I can catch some more ghosts, or maybe play at (??) the dice table...
Happy gaming to all!

[Post New]by Arizona63Tucson on Nov 2, 16 2:24 PM
LIVE BAIT SOLD HERE !!

begwood1
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
442 Posts

[Post New]by begwood1 on Nov 2, 16 2:54 PM
Not to mention "Potionmant" -- is he a man? Is he an ant?

[Post New]by Gamegirl1957 on Nov 2, 16 9:09 PM
I thank you as well Val! I had part of my schooling in Australia, with the "Queens" English taught, this has helped me immensely in understanding many "interpretations" of the language! I love how "international" we all are! I believe the castle is "multicultural"! We are from all over the world, but yet we have so much in common! We speak Midnight Castle! How fun is that! Thank you BG for giving us this common ground!

Angelfish
Angelfish
1,060 Posts

[Post New]by 1457051 on Nov 2, 16 9:58 PM
Well.. the way I look at it is..
It's Big Fish = baited

playingthegame
Stingray
Stingray
4,895 Posts

[Post New]by playingthegame on Nov 3, 16 1:42 AM
It's a funny language we share!
I notice that recently in our newspapers a hot topic is how one pronounces the word "scone" (delicious with strawberry jam and clotted cream): "A poll by YouGov has settled the debate once and for all with the revelation that most British pronounce it to rhyme with 'gone'". .
And to compound the problem with this delicacy, what do you put on the scone first; the jam or the cream?The traditional method (used in Devon) is only used by a fifth of the scoffers!
..... See where thinking about our language gets you! .........Hungry!

Theorem
Flounder
Flounder
2,290 Posts

[Post New]by Theorem on Nov 3, 16 6:53 AM
Haha first I was like ok, what's the big deal, I am a fish! Ok, just a puppy, but still!! Then again, every time I post, I just keep fingers crossed that I might be understood correctly!

I learnt (<-- oh, and not learned! (ETA)) "try and" rather than "try to" but I've read pages and pages about this "issue" ... and shall try to go for "try to"!! Learning!!

All this is just quite funny and I love to learn!!

(never had a scone (I think), but it would definitely be a scawwwwne in my ears!!)

[Post New]by pmwright610 on Nov 3, 16 7:29 AM
All I want to know is what is clotted cream?

playingthegame
Stingray
Stingray
4,895 Posts

[Post New]by playingthegame on Nov 3, 16 8:09 AM
pmwright610 wrote:All I want to know is what is clotted cream?

Ohhhh! You have not reached the ultimate gastronomic treat if you haven't had this!
Mmmmmmmm.....

I drool over this English experience which is gently baked rich local (Cornish) cream until it’s thick, unctuous and thoroughly dollop-able

Mmmmmmmmm...........

BTW You won't find this dish anywhere in the Midnight Castle!

Edited on 11/03/2016 at 8:10:56 AM PST

[Post New]by pmwright610 on Nov 3, 16 8:18 AM
Sounds delicious. I visited London waaaay back in the 70's (one of my favorite cities I was able to visit) but I wasn't lucky enough to try this. If I ever get back again, I certainly will though. Thanks for the info.

mommduck
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

[Post New]by mommduck on Nov 3, 16 8:21 AM
pmwright610 wrote:All I want to know is what is clotted cream?

Delicious!!!!!!!!

Scone up north is not as in Sc 'gone' it is Scone as in Sc OWN ..hope this version is understandable.

Edited on 11/03/2016 at 8:24:22 AM PST

Go to: