Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Secrets of Great Queens: Old Tower Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Nov 3, 16 1:58 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 11/03/2016 at 6:47:52 AM PST

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Secrets of Great Queens: Old Tower Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Nov 3, 16 5:30 AM
I quite liked this demo. Not overly taxing on the brain cells but it's good fun, with some inventive puzzles and well done HOS.

Graphics could have been a bit sharper but were perfectly acceptable. The voices were, for the most part, pretty well done but naturally the developer has to throw in a British stereotype and here we have the presumably self-proclaimed 'world famous Captain Louis' (can't remember his last name). He got on my nerves about 30 seconds after he opened his mouth to speak and he didn't improve. At the end of the demo, Lady Jane is stuck on a row boat with him; I assume when the game resumes she's thrown herself overboard, rather than be stuck with Mr Wonderful And if you are going to set a game in England, please use English spellings; it's 'honour' in this country, not 'honor'.

Otherwise, I loved the puzzles which were very well done and took some time to complete. Collectibles morph and didn't appear to be anything specific. The map shows tasks and transports. There are 4 modes of play including custom. I didn't look at the SG or notice the extras and I never have the music on.

If there's a good sale at the weekend I might go for this CE, if only to see whether Lady Jane manages to stop herself from strangling Captain Louis before the end of the game. Personally I found him irritating and condescending; if the devs were going for amusing, they failed.

No technical issues with the demo. Desktop running Win7 Prof 64-bit.

Edited on 11/04/2016 at 5:29:36 AM PST

rainworm
Herring
Herring
360 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Secrets of Great Queens: Old Tower Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by rainworm on Nov 3, 16 6:06 AM
Very charming game with an exquisite assistant, quite good puzzles and HOS! Beautiful story - not new but always good if nicely told as it is here.

All who like the Spirit of Revenge series will love this game too.

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Nov 3, 16 6:48 AM
Hello everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Secrets of Great Queens: Old Tower Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Secrets of Great Queens: Old Tower Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBellerophon

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Nov 3, 16 11:24 AM
Another winner by Vendel. Not as flashy as Eipix or ERS, (2 of my favorites), but well done and exquisitely done. It plays flawlessly and is a lot of fun without using totally inane puzzles. I'll take that over flashy any day. I give it a 5 out of 5.
Keep up the good work Vendel.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Nov 3, 16 4:53 PM
Hello friends! Well, a game that isn't a sequel! As usual, I review on the game play and not the story line, as others do a much better job of that than I. The graphics in this game weren't too bad. They were mostly very clear, except for a little blur in the cut scenes, otherwise quite nice. Colors are very bright and true for a change, no pinks or blues. Game play was very good, no problems during the demo at all. Voice overs are well done, but the mouth movement did not quite match up with the speaking. We have a helper in Captain Louie, who at times is quite amusing. Sound FX are very well done and are throughout the game, so you have no dead air.

HOPs are interactive lists and/or find multiple items in the scenes. They are clean and clear and items are not difficult to find. I did not see that you can switch to another game if you do not care for the HOPs. These are nothing new, but nicely done. Puzzles were fairly simple and took no time or thought to complete. Took me a minute to find the extremely small icon for the strategy guide, which is quite easy to follow. Either there wasn't one, or I hadn't found what I needed to open a jump map. Hint system is quite helpful and it does transport to longer locations. You do return to the same scenes multiple times before moving on to a new location. This got old real fast.

Collectibles are few. We have 24 coins that are extremely easy to find. These only allow you to change the background or design of the game. I found this quite boring. We also have to find 39 morphing items, according to the SG. However, at one point, I was told during the game that I had to find 34 items, then 38 and the last items I found said it was 39. Someone lost count. The items morph quite slowly, 10 seconds going in and 10 going out. Even at that, they were very easy to spot.

I like games with more extras, e.g., souvenir room; ability to replay areas to find missed collectibles or morphing items, etc. This game does not have any of these things. The game was not challenging, but like I said, I found Captain Louie's dialog amusing. The story is somewhat different, but moved a little slow at times, I think because you were in the same two locations too many times before moving on. On the whole, this is not a bad game, I liked it, but I am not sure it is CE worthy. Personally I think this game is geared more toward a beginner, or someone who just wants a nice simple game. I have many like this for those lazy days. I will put this in my puddle and either get the SE or the CE if a really good sale comes along.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you are looking for. Thanks for the reviews.

jcsgame
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,392 Posts

[Post New]by jcsgame on Nov 5, 16 1:34 PM
Thoroughly enjoyed the game. Morphing objects to find (1/scene). and coins to collect, on some zoom scenes.

The helper was funny and great looking.

Excellent clarity and an interesting story.

This is not a pull-your-hair out type of game, it flows nicely and steps performed make sense.

[Post New]by ss2586 on Nov 5, 16 7:28 PM
Is there a Walkthrough for this game?

thistle809
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by thistle809 on Nov 6, 16 1:18 AM
ss2586 wrote:Is there a Walkthrough for this game?

All Collector's Editions (CE) have a built-in Strategy Guide, which is the walkthrough. Hope this helps.

yowzasma
Clownfish
Clownfish
547 Posts

[Post New]by yowzasma on Jan 28, 17 3:39 PM
i quite enjoyed this game and the touch of humor my helper had
The story-line, good graphics & color, music not intrusive, Mini-games were easy and were more like a break between what-to-do's and were not time consuming and repetitious
Because I enjoyed this game and had no tech problems I am going to give it a out of a possible 5 on my personal enjoy-ability scale

Played on desktop PC running Windows 10 with no problems

Go to: