bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Comments and Reviews for 'The Fateful Voyage - Titanic'

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Mar 29, 10 1:47 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of 'The Fateful Voyage - Titanic'? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Hope to hear from you!

GoveGirl
Herring
Herring
309 Posts

Re:Comments and Reviews for 'The Fateful Voyage - Titanic'

[Post New]by GoveGirl on Mar 29, 10 2:35 AM
This is a very well made game with nice graphics, good voice acting and a variety of things to do- as well as normal HOG search screens there are interactive and straight puzzles, adventure elements with going from place to place and the story is intriguing to follow.

It can be a bit frustrating at times to figure what to do next- the hint system does help you move along for the most part.

A good pick up for spring fever

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Mar 29, 10 4:18 AM
Agree. Lovely game, nostalgic feelings and furniture, mix Adventure and HOG. Hope there will be not "timer" play at the end...

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Mar 29, 10 4:22 AM
Nope, not for me.

I found this game almost instantly annoying. I LOVE interactive inventory puzzles and the new adventure game, sort of a "light" version of point and click, BUT there has to be some logic to the tasks taken on. I want the characters behavior to make sense in the given situation. I can't really describe my frustrations without spoilers, but suffice it to say while I found the dockside tasks a bit far fetched I found the first tasks on board downright nonsensical. It's not that it's difficult per se, it just makes no earthly sense that anyone would do these things or have this behavior. Add to that some of the sloppiest junkpiling of unnecessary Hidden Object scenes and I just found myself rolling my eyes and wondering what happened between Hidden Mysteries: Buckingham Palace (which I quite enjoyed) and this. I mean gve me strength, a peace sign in 1912? what's next a cell phone? Can we keep our junk piles, which in the context of a Luxury Liner make no sense anyway, in period at least?

Then there are the mini games, though only encountered a couple before bailing. There was a maze that wasn't fun, but it was easy. Then there was the card game. No instruction at all and the hint just lets you skip it. I don't want to skip it, but I'd at least like a clue how to proceed. By this time my annoyance factor was already high so that was the last straw. Where I normally enjoy fiddling around with a mini-game w/o instructions to see if I can figure it I just had no compulsion to go on.

I found the voice acting minimal at best and the story far fetched and not compelling. Graphics are clear but unappealing. Only positives I can find is custom cursor is optional and the hints recharge quickly, tho they aren't terribly helpful. I made less than 40 minutes of the demo.

glb613
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by glb613 on Mar 29, 10 5:09 AM
I bought this game several months ago and didn't like it. I wish I had the chance to play a demo first so I could have saved myself $19.95.

joy4u
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by joy4u on Mar 29, 10 6:02 AM
I did not like this game at all found it very annoying and frustrating.

[Post New]by Coronagold on Mar 29, 10 6:04 AM
I kinda agree with Poodlebear, this game has some good elements to it but overall it seems haphazard in logic.

Cat4636
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by Cat4636 on Mar 29, 10 6:09 AM
I get the access violation message when I try to play the game - ugh, I hate that.

GoveGirl
Herring
Herring
309 Posts

[Post New]by GoveGirl on Mar 29, 10 6:16 AM
Rebeca_Lily wrote:Agree. Lovely game, nostalgic feelings and furniture, mix Adventure and HOG. Hope there will be not "timer" play at the end...

I hope not timed- they just hit the iceberg and so far no timer
And ya gotta love Bixley

Now I have to keep going to find out the end

[Post New]by EcclesCakes on Mar 29, 10 6:31 AM
This appears to be the same game that was released for PC, DS and Wii (at $19.99 to $29.99), and got mediocre reviews from Amazon readers. I understand where Poodlebear is coming from, especially after the marvelous recent releases we have enjoyed. However, after one hour, I'm only to the end of Ch. 3 (looking at the walkthrough), which suggests about a 5 to 6 hour game for me. The graphics are not what we've been used to recently, and there are some inappropriate or odd items in Hidden Objects scenes; but, for one used to the often illogical puzzles of adventure games, I'm quite enjoying this and may well get it once April rolls around and it will credit toward my new 6 purchases card.

Eccles Cakes

Edited on 03/29/2010 at 6:33:18 AM PST

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Mar 29, 10 6:53 AM
GoveGirl wrote:This is a very well made game with nice graphics, good voice acting and a variety of things to do- as well as normal HOG search screens there are interactive and straight puzzles, adventure elements with going from place to place and the story is intriguing to follow.

It can be a bit frustrating at times to figure what to do next- the hint system does help you move along for the most part.

Didn't Spring Fever end yesterday?

misty5
Herring
Herring
337 Posts

[Post New]by misty5 on Mar 29, 10 6:56 AM
poodlebear, I love your reviews and they're usually spot-on. But for once, our opinions don't match up. I thoroughly enjoyed the demo and am just waiting until April 1st to buy! (Already bought 13 games this month).

I agree that the makers took some liberties with objects that are historically out of place, and some tasks seem illogical (at least, for a while). But I was having such fun that these imperfections didn't matter. Actually, some of the tasks make more sense if the player happens to examine things in the right order. Example is the powdered sugar/cloak-room door sequence. I clicked on the sugar first and had no idea why that was important -- until I looked at the door. Door first and it would have had a more natural flow.

I liked the storyline. The makers managed to come up with an interesting side story to what is a momentous historical event, and it succeeded in moving me along from place to place and puzzle to puzzle. Voice acting was above average, IMO -- no jarring tones, no irritation. Generous hint/skip system doesn't hurt, either. I too gave up on the card puzzle, but that's mostly because I didn't want to waste demo time figuring it out.

It's hard to say what elements of a game will appeal to which players in such a way that they are willing to suspend disbelief and just go along for the ride, but it's different for all of us. This one worked its magic on me and I give it Happy gaming, fishies!

Edited on 03/29/2010 at 7:34:31 AM PST

susielee
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by susielee on Mar 29, 10 7:07 AM
This is not for me. I didn't like it at all. The graphics are not crisp and clear - more fuzzy and grainy. I hate all the clicking on people to get them to talk. The game is very confusing. You really need the walkthrough to carry you step by step because there's no clue what you should do.

[Post New]by OregonPandora on Mar 29, 10 7:10 AM
I bought this game a couple months ago at store and really enjoyed it! Not being the "brightest bulb in the box", it probably took me 6 to 8 hours to do, but I did not need a Walkthrough. This doesn't mean it was easy (about middle I'd say) but it definitely had some mini's I had to work at. Don't remember too many hidden objects other than "find 10 of something". Mostly this was puzzles and figuring out what to do next. This is a keeper for me! Only thing is it says "alternative endings" and I think I had the same ending both times...boat sank!

[Post New]by Spirit_of_Auron on Mar 29, 10 7:12 AM
EcclesCakes wrote:This appears to be the same game that was released for PC, DS and Wii (at $19.99 to $29.99), and got mediocre reviews from Amazon readers. I understand where Poodlebear is coming from, especially after the marvelous recent releases we have enjoyed. However, after one hour, I'm only to the end of Ch. 3 (looking at the walkthrough), which suggests about a 5 to 6 hour game for me. The graphics are not what we've been used to recently, and there are some inappropriate or odd items in Hidden Objects scenes; but, for one used to the often illogical puzzles of adventure games, I'm quite enjoying this and may well get it once April rolls around and it will credit toward my new 6 purchases card.

Eccles Cakes

Yeah, it's the same game, I have the wii version myself. I got it a while back when I saw it in one of the stores because it was a series I recognized from pc, and had tried before. though compared to the others in the series, this one is more adventure then hidden object though there is that in it. I've only gotten a couple-three chapters in it so far, I find it pretty interesting, I just don't always have a lot of time to play it.

since I've only played a different port off it, I can really only give a review off that port, but in terms of story, it's interesting, gameplay, since I think the wii version still has it like the pc to me at least in some terms, not too bad, but like poodlebear mentioned about the card game, a lot more instructions on the puzzles could have been given. I had to look up on another forum site just to find out how to solve that one.

nanaseaweed
Guppy
Guppy
191 Posts

[Post New]by nanaseaweed on Mar 29, 10 7:14 AM
Hi, I had a good time in my 1 hour! I liked the fact I could adjust the brightness too. I didn't get too far in my 1 hour because I'm slow when it comes to the adventure part of games but I plugged along. I did not use the walk through but I would if I had to. I thought the hidden object scenes were clear and typically inappropriate things to find to add to the frustration. But I think it could be a challenging fun game for some of us.
Nana

Fykomfei
Guppy
Guppy
125 Posts

[Post New]by Fykomfei on Mar 29, 10 7:17 AM
I didn't like this game either. Felt like being in a nightmare - you know, a dream where you know you are going somwhere, and the meet obslacles all the time, and nothing make sense. I'm not going to buy this.

GoveGirl
Herring
Herring
309 Posts

[Post New]by GoveGirl on Mar 29, 10 7:45 AM
joyce2121 wrote:
GoveGirl wrote:This is a very well made game with nice graphics, good voice acting and a variety of things to do- as well as normal HOG search screens there are interactive and straight puzzles, adventure elements with going from place to place and the story is intriguing to follow.

Didn't Spring Fever end yesterday?

I typed in springfever and it accepted the code so I paid $4.89
That was a couple of hours ago though - you can try it - last time they had the sale the code worked for a couple extra days than advertised.

Rose427
Stingray
Stingray
4,519 Posts

[Post New]by Rose427 on Mar 29, 10 7:50 AM
I hope this game is somewhat okay, I was waiting for this game.... Hopefully it is better than that other Titanic game that was released in the last year....

Lauralei
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by Lauralei on Mar 29, 10 8:11 AM
I have to agree with those who love the game. I love being able to move freely around the Titanic, something I haven't done since Cyberflix's, "Adventure out of Time," a PC game that came out years ago. The graphics of this BFG are lovely, much closer to those of a large file game than a casual.

We start the game on the pier about to board the grand Titanic to voyage to a new country and new life. The background music is soft and atmospheric as are the background sounds. While doing the HOG in the Cafe Parisienne the water slaps against the side of the ship which made me stop and listen, ''Ah, to be on the sea!.'' There's a map which let's you travel about which is always helpful. I don't like HOG's but the objects here are not too obscure nor hidden in dark corners. The hint timer fills quickly. The HOG's alternate with the story line and are usually related, i.e. find 10 matches because we'll need them where we're going next. Puzzles are fun and won't have you pulling your hair out. Keep walking around and picking up objects and you'll know just what to do. Return to different rooms if necessary. Sleuthing is the allure of adventure games. Something in your valise might do the trick. Fiddle around and you might even find a secret passage. Objects for interaction sparkle so you'll know. There's a "skip" option for the mini games, a safety net so you don't have to worrry.

All in all this is a beautiful, immersive game which is a nice combination of HOG and adventure. If you're a Titanic buff, download the trial and you'll be hooked. Those that love a challenge might find it too easy but it's just my speed. I haven't finished yet and hope it's not too short. It has the leisurely feel of a longer game but I'm not certain. So far, I love it!

Edited on 03/29/2010 at 8:33:39 AM PST

Go to: