AnnaDownes01
Flounder
Flounder
2,175 Posts

Moaning Myrtle's computer blues

[Post New]by AnnaDownes01 on Nov 10, 16 5:41 PM
Hi friends of Moaning Myrtle I need to tell you that her computer is in a bad way. It seems there was a glitch during and update and I can no longer get it to the start screen to do a system reset.

Spoke to the techies where I bought the thing and, as it is out of warranty it could cost between $AUD150.00 to $AUD200.00

Since I don't have that kind of money lying around it will take some time before I can afford to get it repaired, then I will most likely need to have her progress transferred to a new game.

Please feel free to delete her from your friend list as I don't see her being up and running again before the New Year. I do have a list of my friends in her notebook.

Dashed machine is only just over 2 years old. Moral is do not tell your Anti Virus scan to turn of the computer when it has finished just in case an update decides to happen at the same time.

Aaaaaargh!!!!!!!!

kkreisman
Clownfish
Clownfish
535 Posts

Re:Moaning Myrtle's computer blues

[Post New]by kkreisman on Nov 10, 16 9:31 PM
Oh Anna, that's terrible news. Please keep my name and ID (41185) for your friends list when you get back in. I hope you are able to stay in the game on a mobile device.

katiek

Annelliegram
Shark
Shark
10,615 Posts

[Post New]by Annelliegram on Nov 10, 16 9:51 PM
hmmmmm.....Anna.......here is something you might try (I know it will work if you have a Blue Screen of Death).....

1. Disconnect the power cord AND the network cord from your pc......(if it is a laptop on a wireless connection, you don't need to worry about the network cable...of course, if the laptop is connected with an ethernet cable, you do want to remove that). HOWEVER, if it is a laptop, you must also remove the battery from the back of the laptop --- you need to disconnect the device from a power source completely.

2. With the power cord disconnected -- press and hold the power button for 30 seconds --- be sure to time it with a watch/timer......and yes, I know the computer will not start because the power cable is disconnected......you don't WANT it to start right now..... .... what this procedure does is "flush the motherboard" ......

3. Reconnect the power and network cables.......then turn on the computer......Does it boot to the log on screen? If so, log onto the computer, and you should be okay. If it does not, then you can disconnect the power and network cable .........hold in the power button for a full 60 seconds......then reconnect the cables and boot the computer.

If it still does not boot to the start screen, then all I can say is ..... I'm so sorry!!!!!

Edited on 11/10/2016 at 9:54:06 PM PST

AnnaDownes01
Flounder
Flounder
2,175 Posts

[Post New]by AnnaDownes01 on Nov 10, 16 10:39 PM
Thanks Anelliegram, will try that tomorrow morning, too tired now, Keep fingers & toes etc crossed. That computer is an HP Pavilion 23 all in one.

Hi Katie, I still have Cattiepuss on the laptop to play with

playingthegame
Stingray
Stingray
4,895 Posts

[Post New]by playingthegame on Nov 10, 16 10:54 PM
I totally commiserate with your situation.
The sick feeling in the bottom of your stomach that I too have experienced reveals you as a true MC addict!
If you can get past that feeling and do not mind my "silliness":
My first thought were the IT Crowd's immortal words: "have you tried turning off and on again?"...... as said to the bomb disposal malfunctioning robot operator

Annelliegram
Shark
Shark
10,615 Posts

[Post New]by Annelliegram on Nov 10, 16 11:36 PM
AnnaDownes01 wrote:Thanks Anelliegram, will try that tomorrow morning, too tired now, Keep fingers & toes etc crossed. That computer is an HP Pavilion 23 all in one.

Hi Katie, I still have Cattiepuss on the laptop to play with

My best wishes for your success....I have brought my computer back from the dead in this manner....while I know it sometimes works for Blue Screen of Death that just "happens" when you sit at your computer and see the dreaded screen (when you have done nothing specific to cause it).....I don't know if it will work if a Blue Screen of Death occurs due to the pc being turned off during an update.

One more item to add, though......I started Windows updates ...... then did not notice there was a screen in the background that required my attention.....so I cancelled the update......as a result, while my PC said it had not received the update; Windows Update thought it had been delivered and installed.

Because of this issue, I could not get Windows 10 to install. I did finally find some steps that worked .... should you get your computer up and running, and you experience this same issue.....send me a PM and I will send you the steps for what worked to repair it for me.....basically, they were steps that flushed the "memory" of the Windows Update so it would once again scan the PC and notice the required update was missing.

pjmatt
Clownfish
Clownfish
523 Posts

[Post New]by pjmatt on Nov 11, 16 8:28 AM
my computer is working, but game wont open. just more therapy time
I guess

tazruby2000
Flounder
Flounder
2,399 Posts

[Post New]by tazruby2000 on Nov 11, 16 9:34 AM
Do a Google search of how to boot a pc that won't start. There are many sites that may help. You may need the original OS disc if the master boot record (MBR) is corrupt, that could cause it not to boot.

AnnaDownes01
Flounder
Flounder
2,175 Posts

[Post New]by AnnaDownes01 on Nov 11, 16 3:41 PM
Moaning Myrtle is back & running thanks to your suggestions Annelliegram. Had to go to the 60 second option.

Have just completed the win 3 with Anabel. Later today will be the 50 ZZ etc. May get to the second Avatar of this challenge.

Tazruby200. I don't think that the computer came with a disc, but at least it is now working.

PJMatt, try putting in a report to customer service. When you get the email from the human they are really great at helping.

So far since the last fix. Myrtle has had no problem opening the game, but that has only been once so far. Time will tell.

sbaker2318
Manatee
Manatee
4,187 Posts

[Post New]by sbaker2318 on Nov 11, 16 6:02 PM
My last PC didn't come with a disc..........all the stuff you need is on the PC though......have to buy a disc you can download to.........then I downloaded the OS stuff............just in case.........hope I NEVER need to use it.

Annelliegram
Shark
Shark
10,615 Posts

[Post New]by Annelliegram on Nov 11, 16 9:34 PM
AnnaDownes01 wrote:Moaning Myrtle is back & running thanks to your suggestions Annelliegram. Had to go to the 60 second option.

Shall we all have a Big Wahoo!!!!!!!! here????? You bet!

aussie_Dot
Flounder
Flounder
2,429 Posts

[Post New]by aussie_Dot on Nov 11, 16 9:44 PM
Joining the Wahoo!
Welcome back to Moaning Myrtle. Gifted her a few minutes ago. Lovely to see your game operational again.

Dot

sandhan
Clownfish
Clownfish
919 Posts

[Post New]by sandhan on Nov 12, 16 7:39 AM
Anna,
Congrats on getting your computer working! It's so lonely in the girls' bathroom
without Myrtle!

AnnaDownes01
Flounder
Flounder
2,175 Posts

[Post New]by AnnaDownes01 on Nov 12, 16 11:31 PM
Thank you everyone who helped Myrtle get the items needed for the Castle Challenges.

She is now caught up and has won the Fakir avatar. I have changed her name to

Myrtle is happy. I don't think she like being called Moaning Myrtle.

susanlnels
Clownfish
Clownfish
565 Posts

[Post New]by susanlnels on Nov 13, 16 12:49 AM
I'm so glad you got your game up and running Anna !! I know how hard that can be.

Sue (Suenamie)

kkreisman
Clownfish
Clownfish
535 Posts

[Post New]by kkreisman on Nov 13, 16 6:52 AM
YAYY! Myrtle is back! I love having her and her sister Cattipuss as friends.

katiek

gohill
Stingray
Stingray
4,715 Posts

[Post New]by gohill on Nov 13, 16 6:55 AM
AnnaDownes01 wrote:Thank you everyone who helped Myrtle get the items needed for the Castle Challenges.

She is now caught up and has won the Fakir avatar. I have changed her name to

Myrtle is happy. I don't think she like being called Moaning Myrtle.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... but Moaning Myrtle was so cute ... though, I am glad Myrtle is happy and running smoothly for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LillieCat55
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by LillieCat55 on Nov 13, 16 7:01 AM
Glad that Myrtle is back, Anna! I'll look for her on the next gifting round, make sure your list is up to date!

playingthegame
Stingray
Stingray
4,895 Posts

[Post New]by playingthegame on Nov 13, 16 7:30 AM
Time to change her "moniker" as she has no cause to moan any longer.
How about something like"Gracious Lady Myrtle" to show her status in this weird and wonderful game?

Go to: