Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Whispered Secrets: Song of Sorrow Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Nov 12, 16 12:39 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 11/12/2016 at 6:43:28 AM PST

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Whispered Secrets: Song of Sorrow Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Nov 12, 16 6:34 AM
I liked what I was able to play, which had to be the shortest demo ever. A 90 minute 'sample' had 51 minutes left when it ended, so I got 39 minutes play. I suppose it was enough to make an informed choice but why bother offering a 90 minute trial when the sample is actually less than half that time.

The game starts out saturated with colour, so much so it was like an explosion in a paint shop; quite headache-inducing but fortunately it became much more muted as the game wore on. I liked the HOS very much although there were more in the sample than I would have liked; I prefer more puzzles myself. What puzzles there were seemed mostly very easy but fun to complete.

As has become the norm lately, you have a 'gadget' with a mini-game attached. This one allows you to control animals so that they can help you in various ways; the attached mini-game is fairly simple. You also acquire a companion; Noel is about as much use as a chocolate tea-pot but is at least someone to talk to. After the shipwreck, you are pursued by a bunch of zombie-like townsfolk, under the influence of a Siren's song. Hopefully Noel will not succumb and be a bit more useful as the game goes on!

There are gems to collect; not terribly hard to see since they glint occasionally. The map transports and shows tasks. There appears to be 2 bonus chapters; extras include restoring a sunken statue with the gems you collect, replaying the HOS and puzzles, achievements and the usual other fluff. I didn't look at the SG during the demo, so I can't say how many chapters there are in the main game. The 4 modes of play include custom.

Despite one or two minor flaws, I did enjoy the very short sample so it's a buy for me; someone has to save Noel

bfgPanthalassa
Flounder
Flounder
2,450 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Whispered Secrets: Song of Sorrow Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by bfgPanthalassa on Nov 12, 16 6:43 AM
Hello everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Whispered Secrets: Song of Sorrow Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Whispered Secrets: Song of Sorrow Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgPanthalassa

nanafraser
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

[Post New]by nanafraser on Nov 12, 16 6:44 AM
Used to be 60 minute trial, maybe its for people who get up in middle of trial, get coffee breakfast etc, keeps game open for 90 minutes. Games interesting simple enough, not too much creepy, keeps your interest going, I wanna see whats gonna happen! Might be silly for some, but I like silly unrealistic stories! Takes you away for the goofy reality of true life! So w/ the sale its a buy for me!

JayTeeLine
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by JayTeeLine on Nov 12, 16 7:18 AM
With the sale today, it was a buy for me also. I too liked what I played,

So far I am happy with my choice. It is 4:10 pm here and already dark. The darkness is a reminder of why I buy so many games.

A good game makes the darkness go away, puts a smile on my face and a song in my heart!!

stusue
Clownfish
Clownfish
597 Posts

[Post New]by stusue on Nov 12, 16 11:03 AM

I liked the way the game started and was really pleased to note that it perfectly supported touch. Then I checked what options there were in Custom Mode - unfortunately, helpful messages couldn't be turned off, and you could only turn off active plus item indicators (there was no option to have the indicators turned off all together), both of which are really important to me as I like turning off all help - no icon changes (not important if the game supports touch), no helpful messages, and no plus item indicators at all.

I thought the graphics were really good, as was the animation, and the music and ambient sounds were great. The voiceovers and lip-syncing were also very good. I really liked the originality in some of the minigames/HOPs but, unfortunately, all bar one were very easy. I also thought the extras weren't too bad and I liked the achievements page - a beautiful, moving underwater scene - but there weren't many achievements and only about half were earned, and there were no unusual ones.

However, the helpful messages gave too much information - sometimes they weren't too bad but sometimes there was way too much info - and I was trying to decide if I could put up with that, as well as having the plus items indicated, as I liked the rest of the game.

But the deal breaker for me were the collectibles. Every 6 seconds they light up with a huge sparkle! I've never come across sparkling collectibles before and, after the fourth or fifth sparkling gem when I entered a new scene, I realised that that was the last straw and exited out of the game. I don't understand why they've done that. You can turn off sparkles for active areas and HOPs, but the collectibles sparkle every 6 seconds? You can't miss them. But at least you can go back to find any missed collectibles in Extras by clicking on any missing gems (it didn't work when I tried it within the game).

So, unfortunately, no CE for me and, with the plus item indicators and the helpful messages that give too much information, it's also a no when the SE is released. Pity.

divaprods
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by divaprods on Nov 12, 16 2:32 PM
I played the demo and liked it. I'm so tired of scary HOA that this is enjoyable w/just a little scarieness thrown in

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Nov 12, 16 4:21 PM
Hello friends! As usual, I review mostly on the game play and leave the story line to those who do a much better job than I. We have #6 in this series, yes I have the other 5 and enjoyed them all, but not necessarily as CE's. This game has much better, brighter and more true colors than the last game in the series. Graphics and animation are very well done, with eye movements and the like, making it more realistic. At times, the colors are a little muted, which makes the scene look a little blurred, but only for a few seconds. Otherwise, very nice. Again, the voices, music and sound FX in this series are very quiet. What we do have is well done, e.g., music a bit eerie at times, voices show emotion and are age and character appropriate, and nice sound FX that sound quite realistic. There wasn't a lot of character interaction during the demo, but hopefully that changes as the game progresses.

HOPs are nothing new, but are clean and clear, and items are not difficult to find. All I found are lists during the demo. If you want something different, there is a match 3 to switch to as well. Puzzles aren't too bad. Some did take a bit of time, but none were very difficult. I was surprised at how quickly I got through some. You have an amulet that helps you along the way, but each time you need to use it, you have a puzzle to complete first. One such puzzle is the line draw, which is sometimes very frustrating to me...if you move a hair, you have to start all over again. There is no transport in this game, unless it shows up later. Yes, there is a lot of back tracking, but for some reason, it didn't cause me to get bored with the game. The hint system is very helpful and you do have a nice jump map to use if needed. The areas on the map are well identified by name and picture, so you know exactly where you are going.

I was somewhat disappointed in the collectibles. All I've found are 36 gems of various color and shape, but none are hard to spot. Even the addition of morphing items would have made this one more CE worthy.

The demo was extremely short, making it difficult to really get a feel for the game. However, I liked the story in this one and the fact that we had almost constant action makes it a much nicer game than you think. This makes up a bit for the lack of collectibles. I think most all levels of players will find this one fun and interesting for one reason or another. Yes, I will add this one to my collection.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews!

[Post New]by kityspit on Dec 9, 16 3:56 PM
for some reason, this game didn't thrill me. it seemed simplistic, not challenging and the glowing charm activation in the bottom right corner was so repetitious. HO games were too easy. I lost interest after 35 minutes of playing,

Go to: