bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Comments and Reviews for Little Folk of Faery

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Mar 30, 10 12:58 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Little Folk of Faery? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Hope to hear from you!

bfgFlounder

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

Re:Comments and Reviews for Little Folk of Faery

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Mar 30, 10 2:30 AM
For now I am really struggling with this one.

I LOVE the artwork! Reminds me very much of a Faeries Divination deck I got some time back. I'm always quite unsure with Virtual Villagers type games because I don't play them enough to know how crucial the timing is or what order to do the tasks. I enjoy this and want to keep playing but have this constant underlying panicky feeling at the same time. I also suffer from "Tamagachi Syndrome" - in other words will I kill these little charges in my care if I don't do it all right? I can't take that, I invest too heavily emotionally in things, even virtual, in my care. I just realized it did have an option to stop the clock in game, which would at least mean I wouldn't need to worry if I didn't get back right away.

So anyway - this is a particularly beautiful version of a Sim, nice to see it's not on a tropical island for once, and I *think* I want to buy it but can't sort out how I really feel about the responsibility.... Can ya tell why I never wanted kids?

NEPAT
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by NEPAT on Mar 30, 10 2:41 AM
As an adult female, after playing the demo, I really like the game. First one that's "charmed" me in quite a while. I like that there are quests and a quest menu to remind you what needs to be done. Didn't realize there was a timer...thanks pookie ; ) Phenomenal art work and detail - adorable characters with personalities; strength and weaknesses (just like we mere mortals).

Provokes the imagination - Very cute and engaging - seems suitable for a wide range of players of any age/gender.
As I am writing, I'm convincing myself to by this one ahead of my game credit!

See ya later - I'm gonna go play some more!

kayjay97
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by kayjay97 on Mar 30, 10 3:04 AM
Hmmm, strange, I downloaded the game and went to play it. It flashed quickly and said my Time was up? LOL. Oh well

TerryMann
Shark
Shark
10,717 Posts

[Post New]by TerryMann on Mar 30, 10 3:07 AM
Have you ever played it before on a different site? If not, contact CS they will be able to help. GOOD LUCK!!!!

Lauralei
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by Lauralei on Mar 30, 10 3:46 AM
Kayjay, same here. First thing I saw was, "Trial expired." It's early so will check back off and on to see what's up.

GoveGirl
Herring
Herring
309 Posts

[Post New]by GoveGirl on Mar 30, 10 4:23 AM
I have already owned this game for some time and stated playing it twice. After a bit I get bored with it- so its definitley a mood based game for me.
The graphics are beautiful though I do find them a bit busy in the playing screens which I think is what both attracts me to it and turns me off it after a while.
I also do not find any bonding with the characters which I normally experience with similar games.

katy12250
Minnow
Minnow
227 Posts

[Post New]by katy12250 on Mar 30, 10 4:38 AM
I tried this because I haven't every tired any virtual games before. And probably won't again. As other have said, the graphics are good and so is the music. To me it was just boring. At least I can say I've tried it and this isn't really the type of game that I like. I thought I might like it because of the fairy theme, but that didn't catch me enough to make up for the rest of it. After about 10 minutes, it's a goner.

The good news is that I don't love it enough the HAVE to buy it at the end of the month! LOL! Looking forward to tomorrows game.

runewarden
Herring
Herring
300 Posts

[Post New]by runewarden on Mar 30, 10 5:08 AM
I tried this game on another site and loved it, but the site had awful CS and spyware, so I never bought it. Very happy to see it here, will be picking it up on April 1st :-)

SherrieS
Minnow
Minnow
275 Posts

[Post New]by SherrieS on Mar 30, 10 5:59 AM
LOVE the graphics, Hate Time games like this--makes me anxious,. I, like a previous posted, feel too streesed as is & don't need it in a game requiring multi tasking & governing little people.
If you are into virtual village type games this is awesome! very engaging good music & great scenes. Just not *my*style

bailey8877
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by bailey8877 on Mar 30, 10 6:10 AM
I tried to play this game before, but I could never get through the entire introduction.
This time I did ( it's very long and you have to start over if you quit in the middle of it), but I'm not sure this is the game for me. I like games that move at a good pace and this one takes a lot of being patient.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Mar 30, 10 6:47 AM
I too have tried this on another site...don't care for this type of game but had to see the graphics They are beautiful but the game didn't 'catch' me. It is a no-buy for me.

samwise50
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

[Post New]by samwise50 on Mar 30, 10 6:50 AM

So, it's a TM game?

In the email I received it says "Little Folk of Faery Strategy Game".

I can't play TM's, it makes me feel extremely anxious.

Too bad.

[Post New]by ArthurDent on Mar 30, 10 7:07 AM
It is not a Time Management Game. It is similar to Gemini Lost or Virtual Villagers. A mixed-genre game bordering on strategy - simulation - management.

Try with an open mind before rejecting.

It's a definite buy for me for instance, but I am all for this type of games.

Regards.

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Mar 30, 10 7:51 AM
For those who are worried about this aspect of the game, a review I just read said that villagers don't age or get sick, and that if food stores run low the people don't starve but rather just stop what they are doing and start harvesting food instead. So, this game eliminates what some might consider to be stressful features with this type of game.

[Post New]by SimpleAbundance on Mar 30, 10 7:59 AM
I ended up buying because when my screen went blank after an hour I said, "oh gosh, it's been an hour already?!" I agree with much of what's already been said---very nice to look at and an engaging, different storyline. I'm happy to finally have a game in this genre that isn't so focused on just harvesting and building...on an island. The Faeries are cute little creatures and having them throw a banquet in order to bring back the old villagers is a nice spin (instead of having to make everyone mate and then not be able to feed all the villagers/have to wait so long for the child to grow up, as often happened to me in Virtual Villagers.)

Also, it looks like the villagers will stop what they're doing and go harvest food if the supply gets low and eat if they need to, so I'm not too worried about my faery-folk dying, but we'll see what happens after a few hours of not playing. I once forgot to lower the speed on my Virtual Villagers game and came back to my whole village dead after I had spent many hours training them, building families, progressing on buildings and such. I was so disappointed, I haven't bothered playing since then. If a simple "oops I forgot" like that=dead villagers, it's quite the turn-off for me.

Edit: Ooopsies, I cross-posted with Howatch...good to know, thanks!

Edited on 03/30/2010 at 8:01:06 AM PST

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Mar 30, 10 8:10 AM
I downloaded this game and then sat there wondering what the heck to do next. I clicked on the clock, bottom right and that got the fairy explaining some more. I finally realized I had to be very patient and look for the right places to put my little peeps. I grew a tree and was in the process of learning in the library, then the trial was up. I don't really like games where I have to leave it and wait for time to pass before I can proceed to the next action. I know I can sit there and watch and wait for the peeps to do things but that also gets boring. I don't think I'll buy this game but to all the fishys that do, have fun playing.

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Mar 30, 10 9:03 AM
Just wanted to add: The Game Help in the Options menu is turned OFF by default. As someone mentioned, the 'intro' is a bit lengthy then, but for learning what to do in such a game, and about the icons - like the book, the map - and the quests, the stats and so on, I found it quite helpful.

Jewels69988
Herring
Herring
364 Posts

[Post New]by Jewels69988 on Mar 30, 10 9:31 AM
Just a quick question for anyone that has played this. Is this game similar to Escape from Paradise? As in, you are given a task, you complete it to move on? I love Escape from Paradise 1 & 2 and would like to know if this fairy one is similar. Thanks in advance for any replies.

heidid
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by heidid on Mar 30, 10 9:44 AM
I have played Escape from Paradise and Virtual Villagers, and enjoyed both. This one seems more relaxed even than those two (as mentioned previously, less concern over starvation, etc.)

There certainly are quests to complete, but I believe it is less linear than Escape from Paradise. I'm not certain where "strategy" come in yet; this is more of a simulation than anything else so far.

Graphics: Beautiful, intricate, and relaxing. Score 10 of 10.

Sound: Unobtrusive for the most part, not distracting or annoying, and pretty if you pay attention to them. Score 8 of 10

Game play: Slow, which can be either a good or a bad thing. Fans of VV will likely enjoy this one; there is waiting involved, some tasks take a long time, and it runs in the background when you quit. Score 9 of 10

Difficulty: So far, easy (haven't played very long yet). There are quite a few things to keep track of, but low pressure. Score 7 of 10

Controls: Not well-documented. It took me a good 20 minutes before I figured out how to scroll from one character to the next. (Not that I spent the entire time focused on that). There is an in-game tutorial, but it does not cover everything. I also prefer being able to scroll the screen, and this requires grabbing the ground & moving with the mouse. Score 6 of 10

Overall: 9 of 10 for me.

Obviously, different strokes for different folks and all that, but for those who enjoy simulation games that are slow-moving, relaxing, and open-ended (a la Virtual Villagers), this looks like a keeper.

Go to: