ysbrand
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

On the fence

[Post New]by ysbrand on Nov 22, 16 1:54 PM
Still on the fence with this one. Altho I like Eipix games I do wish BFG was still doing the Mystery Case Files games. They are just not the same as the earlier ones. Shadowlake was a total disaster in my opinion. Not real sure if I will be purchasing this one. Only played 30 mins of demo and it is just not grabbing me.

Jujube2010
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

Re:On the fence

[Post New]by Jujube2010 on Nov 22, 16 2:08 PM
I completely agree with you ysbrand. I love MCF - but the last few (all the ones that BFG did not make) are just not of the same caliber as the originals

Please BFG - go back to making the MCF Series!!!!!!!

barelyberlee
Guppy
Guppy
120 Posts

[Post New]by barelyberlee on Nov 22, 16 2:33 PM
I agree with both of you, Love Eipix and I think they've done better with MCF than other delvs, but wish BFG would make them again, MCF is thee game of the year, they set the standards for others to follow. Not sure where both of you are from, but here in the states Thanksgiving is on Thursday and they usually always have a sale then. With finances tight with the holidays here, I have been waiting till their sales to get the games, unlike I used to do when MCF came out, I would buy sight unseen, but now just wait

ysbrand
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by ysbrand on Nov 22, 16 3:31 PM
I'm with you Barelyberlee. I am from the U.S. also and usually wait for a sale. I never buy sight unseen anymore with all the tech issues that games seem to get after you purchase. Always seems like they play fine for demo and then develop issues in full version. Happy Thanksgiving to ya both

mamajay
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,222 Posts

[Post New]by mamajay on Nov 22, 16 5:15 PM
I tried the demo but couldn't finish it. Yes, Eipix have given us a game with great graphics, reasonably "English" sounding voices, and lots of puzzles, BUT, I found myself just getting more and more bored with the plot. Sigh. Since when does the owner of a Boarding House run it like a Boarding School for adults? And get away with it?

I have been trying to work out what it lacks from the original games, and about the only thing I can think of, is a lack of surprise/spookiness. Or is just too much like their other games (many of which I DO like, and buy)?

So, once again (like Shadowlake and the last Ravenhearst games), not for me.

Jen.

LadyLark
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by LadyLark on Nov 23, 16 12:40 AM
I agree. I beta tested this a while back and I concluded that MCF has been traded too many times to too many different devs. Each time, it goes downhill a little (or a lot) more. It's not even close to being the same MCF flavor as earlier editions. I figure it's ok as a regular game, maybe worth an SE, PC, or DD down the road. It's all so disappointing.

[Post New]by HappyLittleT on Nov 23, 16 6:11 AM
I bought this game even though I had reservations about it. I am not very far into the game yet, but it doesn't seem to be up to the level of the games that were made previously by BFG Studios. This will probably be the last MCF game I will buy. I used to love this series and couldn't wait for the next MCF game to come out. But this game is not up to the standards of the previous MCF games. To me it is boring, I probably won't even finish the game, just like I didn't finish the game from last year. Maybe it's time to end this series. I have stopped buying the Dark Parables and the Puppet Show games for the same reason, not up to the standards they used to have. I am so disappointed in the MCF series.

Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
910 Posts

[Post New]by Micha1234 on Nov 23, 16 9:17 AM
I'm a fence sitter, too. Maybe I'm just not in the right frame of mind...... I always skip through cut scenes and chatter and turn the voices off completely. just doesn't interest me whatsoever.
I found the instructions for the mini games highly confusing so there was a lot of skipping going on, I don't remember anything about the music, the graphics are good although quite dark sometimes for my taste.
I just ended up playing the game by hitting the hint button to see where it got me so I have enough time left to play the demo again another time......I just don't see myself buying this game unless there's a good sale and I'm desperate.

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Nov 23, 16 8:35 PM
Count me in as another MCF fan who is on the fence about this latest edition. I played the beta a while back. I thought it was a good game, but couldn't quite put my finger on what was not quite right with it. Maybe it was because I don't remember feeling it was connected to the other MCF games, except for the intro. It didn't feel spooky, creepy, or mysterious at all.

In the demo, you really had to pay attention to a clue that, for me, was just casually thrown in and tied it to a game that more than a few MCF fans didn't care for. Tasks seemed to be disjointed (not sure what got me to the basement in the first place), and if the house was inhabited with a ghost, it did not make an appearance during the demo. It still didn't feel spooky or creepy like many previous MCF games. If it didn't have the MCF brand, I might be more inclined to buy it as an average game, but it doesn't feel like a MCF game.

Go to: