nightkat1
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

Superpuzzles

[Post New]by nightkat1 on Nov 24, 16 10:44 AM
Feel free to tell me if I'm wrong in this, but are the superpuzzles REALLY superpuzzles? I seem to remember from MF, and even FC, the superpuzzles were quite a challenge in that there were no instructions--unless you asked for help. Also, the actions you had to figure out had absolutely no obvious connection to each other. Case in point: in MF needing a code and (finally) finding it after shooting a pistol at an apple. Now THAT is a solution that was quite unexpected! It seems to me that these superpuzzles from Eipix are mostly a series of run-of-the-mill small puzzles; you simply go from one to the next. Plus there are instructions. Don't get me wrong, Eipix, I bought this game, and am playing the game with a great deal a enjoyment. I just miss the superpuzzles from before where you felt you had accomplished something after finally figuring it all out--mostly by accident. I'd love to see some of those types of superpuzzles again. Surely someone out there has the creativity to develop some of these; wish I could.

Bartsister
Clownfish
Clownfish
710 Posts

Re:Superpuzzles

[Post New]by Bartsister on Nov 24, 16 11:28 AM
I agree that they aren't. I do not consider them the equivalent of the original MCF ones. IMO, I don't think it's necessarily a lack creativity, as it is devs getting pushback on games that are too difficult. There seems to be a focus on HOPAs to relax, rather than HOPAs to challenge. Eipix on the whole these days, however, seems to give the most challenge in their games compared to the other big devs. Compare their difficulty to the average Madhead game and Eipix games are way more challenging to those that want it. Eipix just seems to stop short of sending this one over the edge into crazy hard mode. I can't really blame them. If the old Door Puzzles were put into a game today, I don't know if they would be appreciated or ripped to shreds.

I remember the first time I played Ravenhearst, which had a timer. If you didn't finish all the HOGs to leave enough time to finish the "superpuzzle," you had to start the entire level again. They were called Door Puzzles since they opened the door to the next level and no one had seen these in casual games before. They will always be Door Puzzles to me. I remember watching the clock out of the corner of my eye, while flies buzzed around one scene, and clicking madly all over the place to try to get something started that would get me going on solving the thing! There were some levels I had to play 2-3 times way back when.

It was those two elements that separated MCF from every other casual game out there. 1. MCF was HARD - I mean, knock you on your **** hard. There are 364 other days of the year where games can be easy, I only ask for one measly little day for a super-hard game. And 2, MCF was innovative. It must be difficult for those new to casual games to fully grasp how innovative MCF was, since most things that people take for granted seeing in casual games today were never seen before until the magical MCF game came out that year. To play the older ones for the first time now or even in the last year or so must make them seem sort of primitive in comparison to today's standards. But, oh, when they were first released, they were groundbreaking.

I have made peace with the fact that MCF is over. BFG doesn't have a studio any more. The franchise might be alive, but the days of real MCF are done. I am going to take these new games and try to judge them on their own merit. Maybe one day someone will make a Door Puzzle like they used to. Until then ...

nightkat1
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by nightkat1 on Nov 24, 16 12:36 PM
Well stated. That's what I was trying to say. Yes, they were super knock-you-on-your *** hard; I loved them! I'm afraid you're correct in MCF of yore are gone forever; I haven't made peace with it, I guess. I do occasionally go back and replay several of them.

dog2007
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by dog2007 on Nov 24, 16 5:53 PM
They may not be the original style but I thoroughly enjoyed the game and those puzzles. Yes you have to look at what to do for some but they still make you think and take time to solve.

The games do link back to the original which is nice...and really besides the RH arc the other games were only faintly linked. What I'm happy about is how far things have come since Huntsville....and really since Return to RH they've all been this explore type. Also the human actors were kinda corny at times....

This like most the MCF games after Return took me a few hours to finish and wasn't a fast game which I like. Sometimes I want a quickie but MCF I want to get into and take time to finish. Also some complain about the color thing but I think even Dire Grove was like this with blue and brown.

Perhaps I'm bias but I enjoy the other Epix games like the Parables after they changed from Blue Tea and Sea of Lives and I think they have kept with the MCF theme compared to their other games which are brighter and completely different.

I'm staying optimistic about the series...I didn't know BF didn't have a studio anymore but the fact they didn't just drop the series like some other games (ie Dream Chronicles which canceled the last game leaving the second trilogy incomplete) tells me there is some pride still take. I mean even the credits are full of BFG and trademark BFG and all the people from BF who made the game...Epix has their own section of the credits....

Would I like to see more superpuzzles like they use to have...yes....but am I going to stop buying them...no...I have all the MCF games and play all but Escape (too macabre for my taste...don't even have it installed anymore) and that isn't going to change any time soon.

Bartsister
Clownfish
Clownfish
710 Posts

[Post New]by Bartsister on Nov 25, 16 6:28 AM
Nice post dog2007! Glad you are liking the game. I most likely will too. There is nothing I would like more than to see a new MCF that gives us something we haven't seen before and knocks our socks off. But it doesn't mean that this game isn't a good game. Like you, I do like Eipix very much. I wasn't trying to say that.

I was so surprised you brought up Dream Chronicles! I was so disappointed when that series died mid-stream too! Haven't thought about that in while. Thank you. Maybe I'll dig those up some time and replay.

Glad you noticed BFG in the credits and it's not just me. This is exactly why I think that BFG will never make another MCF or any game completely by themselves. If you look at the credits for all of the "big" developers, BFG is in them. The Eipix, ERS, Elephant, Madhead, Elefun, Mariaglorium, and, I think Daily Magic games all have a BFG production teams in the credits. I may even be missing some devs. BF helps with story, QA/QC, strategy guides, etc. for so many games.

Before, when BFG was creating its own games (which was really only MCF, Hidden Expedition and then some unique side games, like Azeda and Drawn), the developers I listed either did not exist or were standalone independent developers. So all BF had to do was focus on their couple of games and publish everyone else's. Now that they are assisting so many other development teams, I can't see how they would have the time or resources to focus on full game creation when they are working on so many games throughout the year.

I admit, at first I was in the camp of - kill the franchise rather than mutilate it. And it crushed me to see what happened with the Dalimars last year. That said, I took a step back and decided to just forget the MCF at the beginning of the title and take the games as they are. I have been so happy with Eipix games lately that I am sure I will have fun with this one too. Just not in a MCF kinda way.

Edited on 11/25/2016 at 6:29:45 AM PST

lil_chickadee
Minnow
Minnow
248 Posts

[Post New]by lil_chickadee on Nov 25, 16 4:44 PM
I agree the super puzzles aren't as illogical and manic as those in the past, but as a whole I am so much happier with the Eipix MCF games than I was with the Elephant ones, because at least they've taken the time to create new places and games rather than take the two that didn't have direct sequels and rehash them, literally.

I am glad to see the Dalimars not in this one, though. I did enjoy the story line for a while, but it's like all other series, even in books. There comes a time when the story peters out and it's time to quit. I think we hit that wall with Escape. It was the low point in the series IMHO--too much gore just for shock value. The pregnant ladies puzzle was the proverbial last straw. In Madame Fate II and Dire Grove II it was like reviving that dead horse so you could beat it some more. Last year's games put some oomph back into the story, wrapped up the loose ends and gave the Dalimars a glorious send-off. It felt satisfying.

Oh, Dream Chronicles. Don't get me started. It wasn't the developer who quit, but the publisher. They even left the developer hanging at the end of the Water game with very little money or time to finish it, so it got released basically unfinished. Those guys bought the rights to games developed by a number of independents and then published them, so the original developers couldn't continue making the other games in the series once they quit publishing for PC in 2012. They left a bunch of good games that were begging for sequels hanging (Diner Dash, Chocolatier, etc.) but to leave the four elements story line after only two...that was infuriating. They went into exclusively mobile gaming, then got bought out in less than two years. Such a sad end.

nightkat1
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by nightkat1 on Nov 25, 16 8:46 PM
This has been a great discussion, and I appreciate all the information I learned from it. I just finished the main game of this MCF, and I did enjoy it. I agree that Eipix, overall, develops extremely high-level games. I especially enjoy it when I have to think a little, and, I admit, I had to think quite a lot in various instances while playing. I also agree that it was (probably) time to move on from Ravenhearst, but that game remains in my heart as the one that got me addicted to these games. That's not a bad thing! I used to buy almost every game that came out, but these days I've become a little harder to please. This MCF is a pleasing game.

lil_chickadee
Minnow
Minnow
248 Posts

[Post New]by lil_chickadee on Nov 25, 16 9:46 PM
I started off with HOP games by playing the Secret of Spooky Manor with my stepson. Then I found Huntsville and played it over and over till Prime Suspects came out. Ravenhearst was actually a departure from the seek-and-find I was used to, and I never really cottoned to it until I replayed it last summer. I loved Madame Fate, because it used the old cartoony, slightly grotesque art and snide humor from the first two. By the time RTR came out, I was ready for new gameplay and thought it was brilliant. I've bought all the games in the series, and the only one I didn't feel was worth re-playing was Escape.
The only gripe I have now is that Dire Grove, which is probably my very favorite, isn't playable on Windows 10 computers. Not even in compatibility mode. *Sigh* The very first "collector's edition" game ever, it took me overnight to download, but it was worth it. Lots of innovations in that one. Collector's edition, morphing objects, live action, cryptic message in the credits, hidden room with lots of stuff, built-in strategy guide, etc. Yep, MCF sure did create a lot of the features we take for granted now in premium games.

Go to: