bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Comments and Reviews for Settlement: Colossus

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Mar 31, 10 1:03 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Settlement: Colossus? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Hope to hear from you!

bfgFlounder

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

Re:Comments and Reviews for Settlement: Colossus

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Mar 31, 10 2:43 AM
Lauralei wrote:
It's fun and a bit different as your collect your resources in a HOG, not hard at all. Your little group has a modest settlement near the sea with a forest, small lake and mountains nearby. You start picking berries and twigs for food and fire. Then, if you have a certain amt. of the resource, you can exchange some for training: twigs, to reeds to baskets for example. You start with basics and I imagine you continue right through to a major city and Colossus. Graphics are bright. Your little people look cheerful and industrious. Lovely music and bird sounds as you collect wood in the forest.

Didn't get too far into my trial but was having a pretty good time with what I accomplished. Have to break for real life but am looking forward to what others think..

I am thoroughly enjoying it too and I like the mini game quests that I have come across so far. All in all it is a delightful game and it gets a big from me.

The only problem I have is that I have bought far too many games this month so I have to wait until tomorrow to purchase it otherwise it will not count on my punchcard. It is not fair I want to play it NOW ... <stamps foot and throws tantrum>

C

nelliegemini
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,898 Posts

[Post New]by nelliegemini on Mar 31, 10 2:59 AM
(Joins cherb in serious tantrum)

I really enjoyed the demo, and managed to pull myself free before the time was up. I've got to wait until tomorrow, or buy three games today to make my card up (resist girl, resist!)

Don't you sometimes just wish all those settlers would leave you alone for five minutes RnR, It's all, 'we need to gather food', 'we need sticks' - 'well just go and do it then, me, I'm going to relax and look at the lovely scenes and listen to the birds'.

A nice hog, with sparkles if you miss bits, but a good long wait before they appear. I'm enjoying it and will buy - it's unusual, there's no ghosts, there's no desert island, so far no vampires and I'm still loving it! I like the building aspect as well, and the idea that you have to find the resources you need in the hog scenes, and the mini games are different (yes, it's true, unusual minigames!)

johnski
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by johnski on Mar 31, 10 3:30 AM
This game is AWSOME.

yasure
Minnow
Minnow
217 Posts

Just my opinion

[Post New]by yasure on Mar 31, 10 3:51 AM
Don't you find it kind of boring? I mean, the hidden object scenes are somewhat the same over and over again.
Don't get me wrong, it's a "cute" game but I'm not much of a time management game player and that is the feel I get from this game.
The graphics and all are great. It's a nice game, just not my type..
I still have 35 minutes left of the demo and I will finish.
I hope everyone enjoys this.
It's the last day of March, so fill up your punch card(s) I can not wait to see what awaits us for April!

Anam_Craite
Guppy
Guppy
140 Posts

[Post New]by Anam_Craite on Mar 31, 10 4:47 AM
I'm thoroughly enjoying it and I've been playing for about 2 1/2 hours now (obviously I bought it )!

This is very different from your typical hidden object or I HOG...it's more of a mix between a builder, hidden object and puzzle game.

Yasure...I'm betting many people will find it a bit boring, like you, due to the revisiting of the same places for discovering objects and the objects being the same (although as the game progresses, there are more and more items to locate) and initially, I had the same thought. Interestingly enough, however, is that I'm more motivated by accomplishing the goals and progressing through the building and upgrading processes creating the village.

I am betting there will be a great many opposing views on this game due to its nature - not the quality. It's just like today's daily deal...I so wanted to like it (need one more game for my punch card, lol) and I know the game itself is very well done but I just couldn't get into it and I know it would annoy me more than anything else. To each their own!

Back to Settlement: Colossus...

The positives:
Original game mixing different genres
Excellent graphics
Non-intrusive 'music'
Very long game play
Numerous types of mini-games which are quite challenging
Main game and mini-games are untimed
No penalty for incorrect 'clicks'
Hints are unlimited and recharge quickly
Mini-games (quests in this game) are skippable - no penalties
Freedom to accomplish many tasks as you choose (as in order)
Trophies!

The negatives:
Limited hidden object scenes
Limited hidden objects to find.

All in all, I think it's a great game and is a pleasant deviant from the norm. Just don't try to compare it to Return to Ravenhurst or the like because the game designs themselves are just far too different to make a fair comparison.

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Mar 31, 10 5:05 AM
Well I thought it looked familiar ..But then I looked at the screen shots ..& thought it looks new ? As soon as the welcome screen popped up ..I realized that I had played this some where else ? So I thought well maybe it was a bad day & that's why I didn't like it ..But that's not the case ..I didn't care for it then & I don't care for it now !! I think it's more TM ..then HOG ...& I hate TM ..I have to agree with anyone that thinks this a boring game ,,Cause it is ..I felt like I was building a ark for Noah ..But that didn't inspire me either.!!! .So it's a miss for me ..

[Post New]by hpkitkat on Mar 31, 10 5:53 AM
Love this game

nanaseaweed
Guppy
Guppy
191 Posts

[Post New]by nanaseaweed on Mar 31, 10 6:03 AM
It is a well done game. Graphics are clear, instructions are clear, lots of help, nice music, I just don't care for this kind of game personally but there will be those of you who will love it. Have fun!
Nana

shaboo58
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by shaboo58 on Mar 31, 10 6:34 AM

woodentot
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,391 Posts

[Post New]by woodentot on Mar 31, 10 6:38 AM

mamachi
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by mamachi on Mar 31, 10 6:43 AM
I will buy this game tomorrow. It is a very relaxing game and that is just what I need.
Happy Easter to all

Rose_Ann
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by Rose_Ann on Mar 31, 10 7:50 AM
I love this game. It is so different - a combination of a strategy and hidden object game. It is not as hectic as the typical sim game. The hidden objects are meaningful because they are the elements needed to build your settlement. It is a lot of fun!

[Post New]by drosati01 on Mar 31, 10 8:35 AM
vurtail village, hidden object: dosn't have a true idendity. I didn't care for it. I rearely post but this one got my goat

msdrake
Starfish
Starfish
56 Posts

[Post New]by msdrake on Mar 31, 10 8:50 AM
Not for me....Not a HOG in my opinion it is a Time Management which I don't like. No buy on this one from me...

LilyCat
Minnow
Minnow
220 Posts

[Post New]by LilyCat on Mar 31, 10 8:58 AM
I wouldn't call this a time management game, because there's no time pressure at all. I don't like TM games at all for that reason, but this one is different. To those who say it's boring revisiting the same scenes over and over, I'd say look at the forest scenes - each time the flowers are different and the weather is either wet or dry. Not the most demanding of games, but it makes a change.

Are we seeing a change in games - with the straight HOGs fading away and more of these hybrids coming along? Some will like them, others not - but, hey, who can afford to buy thirty games a month, even with punchcards?

johnski
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by johnski on Mar 31, 10 8:59 AM
How can you call it Time Management when there is no timer?

obrien60
Guppy
Guppy
168 Posts

[Post New]by obrien60 on Mar 31, 10 9:19 AM
Well, if you don't get enough food or firewood everyday, work stops. That is what makes me think of TM game.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Mar 31, 10 10:18 AM
I like this game. A nice new hog game. Very relaxing gameplay. I will buy it tomorrow for my 1. punchcard in April. Very nice mix from hog/building.

KitKat5169
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,099 Posts

[Post New]by KitKat5169 on Mar 31, 10 10:19 AM
Great game. Have I seen better graphics? Absolutely, but I still think it's great!

Go to: