bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Christmas Stories: The Gift of the Magi Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Dec 1, 16 12:29 AM
Big Fish Editor's Choice! This title was chosen for its high standard of quality and amazingly positive reviews from our Game Club beta testers.

Elephant Games proudly presents the newest addition to the Christmas Stories Series!

Everybody knows that Santa gives presents to nice children, but who visits the naughty ones? After your sister does something bad, Berta the evil Christmas spirit and her mean elves take her away. The only way to save her is by performing good deeds and helping make the holiday season more cheerful for others. With the help of Jack Frost, can you save the holidays before it’s too late?

See what our Beta testers had to say:

“I love love love these games! So charming and beautifully done! Puzzles are great and the storyline is one of my all time favorite. The artwork and scenery is beautiful and the characters are way cool!â€?  - Kelly, beta tester

“Love the game so far! Interesting story line and gorgeous setting. The music is lovely and the game flows easily.â€?  - Barbara, beta tester

lisarossi
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

Re:Christmas Stories: The Gift of the Magi Collector's Edition

[Post New]by lisarossi on Dec 1, 16 12:43 AM
Graphics are beautiful but I found it boring based on the demo sorry BF

roxycavalier
Stingray
Stingray
5,621 Posts

[Post New]by roxycavalier on Dec 1, 16 12:52 AM
Use the code HUGE and get this game for half price!

gillydi53
Clownfish
Clownfish
703 Posts

[Post New]by gillydi53 on Dec 1, 16 12:54 AM
Beautiful game . Had to stop playing or else nothing will get done today . roll on the weekend

Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Dec 1, 16 2:57 AM
Well I won't be playing this game. Firstly because all recent games I've played from these devs take over an hour to load the demo and another 20 minutes to activate it, and if I buy it the same thing happens even though I have super fast broadband.

Secondly, whilst waiting for the game to load I read the review on the game page and the story, puzzles and HOS scenes have been described in full ruining the game for me completely.

Maybe everyone who keeps writing these spoiler reviews should take note of BFGs message on the reviews page by reading this:

Try not to reveal details that would spoil a game's plot or story for someone who hasn't played it yet.

Edited on 12/01/2016 at 2:58:03 AM PST

Scottie12
Guppy
Guppy
129 Posts

[Post New]by Scottie12 on Dec 1, 16 3:00 AM
The code HUGE has expired. Shame!

LarkBea
Herring
Herring
354 Posts

[Post New]by LarkBea on Dec 1, 16 4:10 AM
I look forward to these yearly releases from Elephant Games and enjoying this one, so far. Graphics are beautiful, game play has been smooth. Will probably purchase as long as there are no problems with the demo.

janey1806
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by janey1806 on Dec 1, 16 8:16 AM
I agree with Daxadillion, the first review on the home page gives away far too much information. We dont need to know every puzzle and hop, thats half the fun of the game.

rainworm
Herring
Herring
360 Posts

[Post New]by rainworm on Dec 1, 16 8:35 AM
It is a Christmas story and beautifully made. Got it this morning (luckily with a good code). In this season a christmas game is a must-have and Elephant is very good at those games.

I do not experience any download problems with this dev. The reviews are interesting but I read them only after I made up my own mind. So there is no danger of getting too much info on things, I would want to discover myself. With this game I played the beta and knew, what to expect. Will not play such a game at any other time of the year - yet now IS the time and I enjoy it.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 1, 16 8:43 AM
I am always looking forward to EG's Christmas game. Bought it without playing the demo first.

Although this is a nice Christmas story, for me it lacks in exitement. And Puzzle pieces as Collectables? In a Christmas story? Has nobody at Elephant Games a little more imagination to give us something festive to collect? Baubles? Candy canes? Presents? As long it's not Penguins again - those were quite terrible colletables as well, and not christmassy either.

And what a let-down with the Morphing objects. Every one of them is a gnome. Oh yes, very festive...

minesita
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,975 Posts

[Post New]by minesita on Dec 1, 16 10:31 AM
Daxadillion wrote:Well I won't be playing this game. Firstly because all recent games I've played from these devs take over an hour to load the demo and another 20 minutes to activate it, and if I buy it the same thing happens even though I have super fast broadband.

Secondly, whilst waiting for the game to load I read the review on the game page and the story, puzzles and HOS scenes have been described in full ruining the game for me completely.

Maybe everyone who keeps writing these spoiler reviews should take note of BFGs message on the reviews page by reading this:

Try not to reveal details that would spoil a game's plot or story for someone who hasn't played it yet.

I totally agree with this idea! At least they should warning the readers with big spoilers!!!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 1, 16 12:26 PM
I have now finished the whole game. As I said before, nice game, but lacks exitement.

Penny1942
Clownfish
Clownfish
554 Posts

[Post New]by Penny1942 on Dec 1, 16 1:08 PM
I agree with the posters stating that the reviews on front page reveal too much of the story which is one of the reasons I long ago stopped reading them.

Cute game, great music and graphics and it has a sweet story. But I'm with Valdy, it lacks something in the excitement category. I enjoyed both the game and bonus but will wait for awhile and play again to see if it improves with age.

[Post New]by leapfrog0202 on Dec 1, 16 3:35 PM
Daxadillion wrote:Well I won't be playing this game. Firstly because all recent games I've played from these devs take over an hour to load the demo and another 20 minutes to activate it, and if I buy it the same thing happens even though I have super fast broadband.

I don't understand that at all. I have never had a problem downloading any of their games. I had a 4 year old ASIC computer running Windows 7 and now I have a 1 year old Lenovo running Windows 10.

What do you think the problem is Dax?

bfgPanthalassa
Flounder
Flounder
2,450 Posts

[Post New]by bfgPanthalassa on Dec 1, 16 3:36 PM
Hi Everyone,

Thank you to all who've taken the time to share their thoughts on the game here. I understand that there are some concerns regarding reviews for the game, and I wanted to stop by here with some information.

The Forum Moderation Team understands that different users may have different styles of writing and preferences for what's included in reviews. We do want to make sure that the reviews posted to our site are following those Review Guidelines, however we also request that people please keep our Forum Rules in mind when posting. Specifically:

Treat others with respect. Harassing, attacking, threatening, provoking, calling unwanted attention to, name-calling, insulting, or bothering other users, moderators, or Big Fish employees on the forums will not be tolerated. Play nice.

We ask that people please refrain from calling unwanted attention to others. This way we can make sure that the forums stay comfortable for all of our users.

Instead, if someone has a question or concern about reviews on the site, we ask that you please contact our Customer Support Team or one of our active Moderators. Both us and our Reps are always happy to help.

Thank you all for your understanding.

bfgPanthalassa

MsFreddie
Catfish
Catfish
1,519 Posts

[Post New]by MsFreddie on Dec 2, 16 12:32 AM
I will give this game a try. The video for this game shows a bubble popper mini game that puts me off a bit.

Not sure if any Christmas game can live up to my favourite - The Nutcracker.

[Post New]by LudwigHatschek on Dec 2, 16 1:18 AM

Edited on 12/02/2016 at 5:50:44 AM PST

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Dec 2, 16 5:52 AM
Hi there,

I just wanted to pop in here and thank players for their patience with the appearance of spam in the forums. The Moderation Team continues to manually ban each spam user and delete each post. We thank you for your patience during this process. Feel free to PM any of the moderators if you have any questions.

bfgBellerophon

bluejen
Clownfish
Clownfish
702 Posts

[Post New]by bluejen on Dec 2, 16 5:08 PM
I'm loving this game. It's such a relief from blood, monsters, beyond grim stories and abuse of women and kids. So refreshing. And fun!

nextgengranny
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by nextgengranny on Dec 2, 16 5:45 PM
This offering is just an all-around disappointment to me. When I saw it come up as the new offering here in the forums, I was very excited, as "The Gift of the Magi" has been a favorite story of mine ever since I first read it. So needless to say, I immediately went to the sales page...where I was greeted by a screen shot of dancing cats. This didn't bode well, but I still thought this game might at least make a nice early Christmas present for my granddaughter, so I went ahead & did the demo...only to find a floaty cursor, lackluster collectibles, & gameplay that proceeds too slowly for an active 8-yr.-old to stay interested (not to mention, what father would stand around shuffling his feet in his yard, waiting for some kid to rescue his precious child). I love that there's a dev who makes a point of doing an annual Christmas game, but it's impossible for me love this game, as I personally find it to be ill-suited to either an adult OR a child. Perhaps I will look at some earlier editions, instead, & stick to telling "The Gift of the Magi" to my granddaughter as a bedtime story.

Go to: