Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Christmas Stories: The Gift of the Magi Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Dec 1, 16 2:33 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 12/01/2016 at 6:38:18 AM PST

mamajay
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,222 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Christmas Stories: The Gift of the Magi Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by mamajay on Dec 1, 16 3:18 AM
I just finished the demo, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Last year's release was not as good as it could have been (when compared with the previous games), but I think this one is as good, maybe even better, than the first one! Time will tell

I was really pleased to hear a different Christmas carol in the opening scenes, and the general background music is quite pleasant on the ears.

No doubt there will be complaints about "helpers", but I like him, especially as he isn't jumping up and down all the time like some do

I am quite liking this story - I haven't heard of a 'rogue elf' before, but there is some logic to the idea.

As is usual for Elephant Games, the graphics are lovely, and the voices are very well done. I will certainly be buying this game.

Cheers,

Jen

Nynaeve70
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Christmas Stories: The Gift of the Magi Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Nynaeve70 on Dec 1, 16 4:15 AM
I only played a small part of the demo and knew it was a buy for me. It is such a lovely change from all the spooky horror games we have had for some time. The little elf helper fits the season. I love Christmas and look forward to this game every year.

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Dec 1, 16 5:33 AM
Cute little story, even if the villainess is a bit over the top and silly. I like the music, and the graphics and look forward to another Christmas Stories installment. I probably should have waited for the SE because I haven't been impressed with the bonus games in this series, but, I couldn't wait that long.

rdekker1
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Christmas Stories: The Gift of the Magi Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by rdekker1 on Dec 1, 16 6:22 AM
Look forward to these games every year. Tried the demo just to see if it would work on my computer and it does so not even finishing the demo. Just buying it right away. Can't wait to play it.

Edited after done the game. This might not be everyone's cup of tea but I enjoyed this game quite a lot. I finished it in just two days and I didn't want it to end. Sad that we won't get another one for a year. I guess I will have to replay this one as well as the others.

Edited on 12/04/2016 at 3:58:27 PM PST

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Christmas Stories: The Gift of the Magi Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Dec 1, 16 6:39 AM
Hello everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Christmas Stories: The Gift of the Magi Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Christmas Stories: The Gift of the Magi Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBellerophon

aubreean
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by aubreean on Dec 1, 16 8:15 AM
does anyone know if yesterdays code

Susanna2
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by Susanna2 on Dec 1, 16 9:53 AM
What a cute adorable game for the whole family, for young and old. I was looking forward for it and was not disappointed.
Happy gaming everybody who loves these games.

aubreean
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Christmas Stories: The Gift of the Magi Collector's Edition her

[Post New]by aubreean on Dec 1, 16 10:10 AM
does anyone know if yesterdays code

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Christmas Stories: The Gift of the Magi Collector's Edition he

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Dec 1, 16 12:13 PM
aubreean wrote:does anyone know if yesterdays code

If yesterdays code...........still works??? Sorry no, it's expired now.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Dec 1, 16 2:51 PM
Hello friends! Well, we have #5 in this Holiday series. As always, I review mostly on the game play and leave the story to others who do a much better job than I. Yes, I have the other 4 in this series and I have loved them all, some more than others, but still all nice games. As usual, the graphics are exceptional, very clear and clean. Game play was excellent, no problems at all during the demo and the scenes fit my large screen quite well. Colors for the most part are well done. There are a couple of areas that had a bit more blue than was necessary, but otherwise the colors are very nice and true. Voices are age and character appropriate, although there isn't much in the way of character interaction, except in spurts. You can click through dialog if you read faster than they speak, without missing any of the story line. Sound FX are very nice. Music, even though it is a Christmas scene, is not really Christmas. There is some, but not constant. This works for me, as I think I would get very tired of hearing if very quickly. Mostly, it is very soothing. I thought the custom cursor was fun...it is a mitten. There is a creepy trouble making elf and then there is Goody, our friend and helper elf. He's pretty quiet when not being used and occasionally eats a candy cane.

HOPs are a combination of interactive lists, straight lists and finding pairs of objects and there are a couple of little new things tossed in for fun, e.g. throwing snowballs at the creepy elf. They are fairly clean and items are not difficult to find. I did not see that you could switch to another game if you do not care for the HOPs. Puzzles are simple and nothing new, but they were actually fun. Maybe it's the Christmas theme. Help system is very helpful and we do have the transport feature, which saves a lot of travel time. You do a lot of back tracking in this one as well.

Collectibles are not bad at all. We need to find 36 puzzle pieces to complete 3 jigsaw puzzles. These pieces are fairly large, but easy to miss. We also have 14 morphing items, which seem to all be gnomes. They morph in and out quickly and morph into an item that can easily be overlooked. Watch for them.

It looks like we have 3 sections to complete, being 3 good deeds, to make someone's Christmas a happy one. Made me curious to see what happens when we have accomplished this. There are others in this series that had a much better story line, but I think this one gets better as you go along and I find the need to play it out and see what happens. The bonus chapter in this series has yet to disappoint, so looking forward to that as well. I think all levels of players will find this one enjoyable. Yep, adding this one to my CE collection.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one at all. Thanks for the reviews.

judy76073
Clownfish
Clownfish
531 Posts

[Post New]by judy76073 on Dec 1, 16 8:49 PM
Well, I have quite enjoyed this game - not quite finished yet - part way through the bonus game. But, it was a most enjoyable game to play - lighthearted, bright, clear, background music was great - not over-bearing. Granted, was a bit disappointed in collectible puzzle pieces & only 14 morphing gnomes - but other than that, it was a pleasant way to spend some time today - I liked some of the different HOP games - some of the mini games were really super easy - probably geared more towards children - but, in all, a very pleasant, lighthearted game.

I have re-played some of the previous Christmas Stories games and still enjoy them.

I always play HOPA games on easy/casual - because I like to relax with games and not end up tearing my hair out.

tdmj5
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by tdmj5 on Dec 3, 16 6:43 AM
REALLY BAD bad game. it gets worse as it goes on, don't stop run run awy .

addictedtofish
Guppy
Guppy
139 Posts

[Post New]by addictedtofish on Dec 3, 16 9:40 AM
I normally love the Christmas games but I found this quite boring -nothing to recommend it unless someone has finished the game and can tell me that it improves!!

[Post New]by kd1sh2012 on Dec 3, 16 5:02 PM
I just finished The Gift of the Magi; I thoroughly enjoyed playing this game! Some of the mini games were a bit frustrating, however. I've really had to push the "hint button" more times than I care to admit. I look forward to your seasonal games every year! Thanks for a couple of days' worth of Christmas fun when I should've been doing my housework! ARGH! I look forward to your future games!

Flissa2
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by Flissa2 on Dec 4, 16 12:57 PM
Always look forward to the Christmas game sadly this just doesnt live up to the previous ones for me. I finished the demo but have not bought it yet and might wait for SE and use a coupon. Found the 'action' slow and the characters bland. That evil dwarf looks like he's moonlighting from another popular BFG series! Off to replay last year's brilliant Puss in Boots.

dollyflower
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,373 Posts

[Post New]by dollyflower on Dec 9, 16 11:18 AM
Beautiful game in this series! The series never disappoints. I have been saving up my game credits just for this release. Very "Christmassy". I love it! No tech problems like I had with last years.

kandinsky
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

LOOKING FOR CHRISTMAS SOMEWHERE ELSE

[Post New]by kandinsky on Dec 10, 16 6:58 AM
I loved the nutcracker and the tin soldier and
plodded through with mixed pleasure the others but
not going to go on with this one. maybe i am spoiled
by Adam Wolfe for one thing, but within this series even,
this seems "dead as a doornail" to use an expression
from Christmas Carol.
Christmas Carol... Carols...thats an idea! I do believe
Ill find Christmas in some seasonal gathering, in a
place set aside, of song and shared bread and wine.

Edited on 12/11/2016 at 5:15:22 PM PST

daggy_k
Starfish
Starfish
56 Posts

[Post New]by daggy_k on Dec 26, 16 12:05 PM
I really love the Christmas Stories. But this year's was a bit of a disappointment. Not bad, but sooo standard fare. An overload on glitter and decorations, the stories bland and shallow.
What happened to the superb, finely crafted artwork? What to the mischief and stories with a twist and meaning?
Encountering the Toy Soldier and the Cats in this game made me sad, as they reminded me of all that was missing.

Go to: