Mary_Cate
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

The Decline of Casual Gaming

[Post New]by Mary_Cate on Dec 3, 16 1:11 PM

First, I have to say I am a huge fan of the Mystery Trackers series. The Void and Raincliff were actually the first 2 CEs I ever bought and remain to this day in my top 10 favorite games. But this series has steadily gone downhill. And honestly, I blame the gamers just as much as the developers. Take a look at the forums for those earlier games. Sure there are rave reviews and most people do count these earlier games as their favorites, but the forum is full of posts complaining about the difficult puzzles, impossible hidden object scenes, the endless backtracking....Then as more games are coming out,everyone demands jump maps, collectables, morphing objects and all the bells and whistles..So what else can the developers do but listen to their customer base? As the series develops, all of these items are added to the successive games with varying rates of success. But the biggest change is how much the games are dumbed down now. HO scenes are simple and easily completed in minutes; puzzles (even the so called super puzzles added to the later games) have next to no challenge.

I recently replayed all the games in this series just to see how they have evolved. The Void took me 9 hours including bonus; Raincliff was 12 hours. This game was 5 hours. Not once was I stumped or challenged during this game.

As always, this developer delivers with stunning graphics and voiceover but gameplay has really suffered. Although I had no issues with this one,3 of the last games in this series prevented me from getting all the achievements due to an issue with one of their gadgets/gimmicks. Which is another thing that is way overdone in far too many games. I admit to loving Elf in this series but I am not a fan of most helpers or all the little gadget and doodads that are added to pad out game play. I fear that like so many of our trusted reviewers have stated, the pachyderms have gone the way of the bunnies and the pixies by producing quantity over quality. Time was most of these developers only produced 2 or 3 games a year at most;now they crank them out like an assembly line. This year alone they have released 12 I believe. And it each one gets shorter and simpler.

I'm not saying this was a bad game; it was ok. Just not up to the standard they set with the earlier games and I just really miss the way games used to be. The ones that actually made you think and left you feeling accomplished when you finally beat that tricky puzzle. Those games are few and far between

Mary_Cate
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

Re:The Decline of Casual Gaming

[Post New]by Mary_Cate on Dec 3, 16 1:20 PM
One quick note also. I wanted to reply to a comment made by Alowan in the reviews thread but since all the older threads are locked, I thought I could leave it here so that it might help others out.

They said :

There are also glitches. Read the tech thread; it seems that each poster has a different one. Mine are very annoying: I used the Detective (aka Custom) game setting, and turned off tasks - only to have them keep annoying me. And the map never showed me where tasks were available. I never saw an exclamation point; only question marks.

Re turning off tasks-- I too thought that meant turning off that very annoying objective task that flashes across the screen everytime your objective changes. But I discovered that what this developer is referring to by that task button on the custom screen is turning off/on available tasks on the map. I cannot tell you how many of their games I played cursing the custom option for not working correctly until I figured that one out.

Go to: