bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Comments and Reviews for The Mystery of the Crystal Portal: Beyond the Horizon

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Apr 1, 10 12:56 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of The Mystery of the Crystal Portal: Beyond the Horizon? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Hope to hear from you!

bfgFlounder

jillaroogirl
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

Re:Comments and Reviews for The Mystery of the Crystal Portal: Beyond the Horizon

[Post New]by jillaroogirl on Apr 1, 10 2:21 AM
Sorry, found this game really boring. No challenge and the same thing over and over. No buy for me.

Raska
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

Re:Comments and Reviews for The Mystery of the Crystal Portal: Beyond the Horizon

[Post New]by Raska on Apr 1, 10 2:35 AM
I played for 20 minutes, waiting for something nice to do...but...it was boring,boring, boring...no puzzles or very stupid puzzles, frustrating to search almost for all the objects that were in the room, etc, etc..
Not a buy for me either...

Raska

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Apr 1, 10 2:56 AM
I loved the game - several circles are connected by a single object, in order to accept the object you search for. There are puzzles, but they are a part of the search (for instance, you have to accomplish some object before you take it, or connect a circuit in order to activate some object). Additionally, you have to find gems for the game frame.

Lovely and relaxing game. Bought of course. Thanks, BFG!

morticia6
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,044 Posts

[Post New]by morticia6 on Apr 1, 10 3:12 AM
i agree with rebeca lily. just finished the demo and would like to keep playing. i played the advanced mode and the objects were just difficult enough to find to make things interesting. will probably wait before buying to see about length before using my last credit. from the walkthrough it looks like i made it between 1/3 - 1/2 of the way through.

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Apr 1, 10 3:16 AM
I'm not very deep into the demo yet but taking a break so I thought I'd add my impressions so far.

The game is solid, very much like the original Crystal Portal game, good graphics, pleasant music and the promise of the continuation of a story. Two modes for Easier play with more and faster hints or an Advanced with less. Neither is Timed. There is nothing wrong with the game, but I'm just not feeling it.

While I really liked it's predecessor a lot of time has passed between the two. I have found of late that I am having real trouble with games that have you do some nonsensical thing to accomplish a task. For example - you need to hand the old lady her glasses. They are right there on the table. WHY am I finding a very long series of objects in order to pick up her glasses? I understand intellectually that this is the structure of the game and when I played the first Crystal Portal I believe it was the first "pocket" (many items added to one) Hidden Object I'd played and loved the new mechanic, but now the uniqueness has worn off and doesn't seem to be carrying the game for me. Rather than enjoying when a new "pocket" opens and I must find the next series to complete the one before I just find myself groaning. THE GLASSES ARE RIGHT THERE! I don't mind at all needing to find a bunch of things to say open a rusted shut cabinet where the glasses may be, only to find a locked box inside that needs more searching, but this searching for searching's sake is starting to leave me cold.

So for those of you who enjoy straight up HOGs and like to just find objects this may well be a winner. The graphics are clear and pleasant and there is certainly lots of things to find. I did not yet encounter any mini-games but as I said, very early in the demo. The inventory puzzles encountered were very easy to figure out. The descriptions of the Modes mentioned skipping puzzles, so perhaps those will prove intriguing enough later on to win me over. But for now... eh.

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Apr 1, 10 3:18 AM
i like mini games and the only one i came across in the demo was a jigsaw. you cant find some pieces until other circles are full. and sometimes you have to go to another room to do so. i have not done many reviews.....just 1 for "Anka", i didnt like it, you dont know if pieces need other puzzles done b4 you can finish a circle, pieces blend in to much and can,t be seen. some can,t befound because another piece is in front and both are invisable to the naked eye. i am a very easy to please gamer but felt strongly enough about this game to post this

yasure
Minnow
Minnow
217 Posts

[Post New]by yasure on Apr 1, 10 3:28 AM
What a Bore! The pop up bubbles get on my nerves. It just does not cut it for me. Waiting for another great game like Dire Groves!
Hay, It's April Fools day.

timhouse
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

Comments and Reviews for The Mystery of the Crystal Portal: Beyond the Horizon

[Post New]by timhouse on Apr 1, 10 4:37 AM
bfgFlounder wrote:Hey Fishies! What do you think of The Mystery of the Crystal Portal: Beyond the Horizon? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Hope to hear from you!

bfgFlounder

timhouse
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by timhouse on Apr 1, 10 4:41 AM
IF YOU LIKED THE SEEKER GAMES, YOU WILL LIKE THIS GAME. I JUST BOUGHT. HAVE FUN ALL YOU SEEKER

AFlowers
Lobster
Lobster
84 Posts

[Post New]by AFlowers on Apr 1, 10 5:03 AM
The first one was/is one of my favorite games. I've played it many times. Yes, if you're looking for excitement, this may not be your kind of game. The gameplay is fairly easy. So far, this one plays the same as the first, only just a little more challenging. I've had to look for objects across several rooms to complete the puzzles. Background music is just right for me. I'll buy it.

Baybear
Lobster
Lobster
85 Posts

[Post New]by Baybear on Apr 1, 10 5:45 AM
Anyway it's nice to see Marty Feldman back again...

[Post New]by LuvDemGames on Apr 1, 10 5:53 AM
Not a buy for me. I really wanted to like this game, was all set to buy it but it is so annoying. Everything you need is tied to something else which is tied to something else, and so on. Just annoying and boring.

Boopers12
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by Boopers12 on Apr 1, 10 6:14 AM
I didn't like it either. Found it annoying to have to look for something or put something together before I could acquire an object. And having all those circles on the screen really hampers the search! Not a buy for me either....

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Apr 1, 10 6:15 AM
When I saw this game I rolled my eyes ,,cause I hate these games..They just really bug the hell out of me ..I haven't tried it yet ..But with the most of the pond saying that it is sooooo boring ...I"m sure I will bail out early ...But I will give it a try..even though I know the outcome ...NOT !!!

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Apr 1, 10 6:51 AM
Baybear wrote:Anyway it's nice to see Marty Feldman back again...

I *did* like that!

samwise50
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

[Post New]by samwise50 on Apr 1, 10 6:53 AM
I bought the first one last November. Artogon is the one that developed Treasure Seekers. You can see the similarities. I enjoyed the first Crystal Portal very much. I hope this one keeps up to their standards.
Off to downloading we go...

Edited on 04/01/2010 at 7:00:50 AM PST

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Apr 1, 10 7:03 AM
8 minutes ..& I bailed out .. Not for me !!!

PuppyDogMom1
Guppy
Guppy
113 Posts

[Post New]by PuppyDogMom1 on Apr 1, 10 7:15 AM
Not for me.

Lauralei
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by Lauralei on Apr 1, 10 7:52 AM
Baybear, I laughed out loud to see our old friend EYE-gor. Cheers to the developer.

Go to: