bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Comments and Reviews for The Three Musketeers: Queen Anne's Diamonds

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Apr 1, 10 12:59 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of The Three Musketeers: Queen Anne's Diamonds? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Hope to hear from you!

bfgFlounder

Re:Comments and Reviews for The Three Musketeers: Queen Anne's Diamonds

[Post New]by ltapler on Apr 1, 10 5:42 AM
Well, the 60 minutes went by very quickly. That usually means I must buy the game!
So far, I am enjoying it!

QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by QEIII on Apr 1, 10 8:38 AM
Only played 30 mins of demo but have enjoyed it so far. Is it more like a RPG than an adventure? It seems like different clothing can make your defence better etc and you can buy and sell stuff you find in shops. I will definitely consider buying this.

[Post New]by maudia on Apr 1, 10 11:06 AM
I played this game for 45 minutes. I will denfinetly consider purchasing it with my next credit. It is a very nice simple game. It's a good change from all the hidden object games.

SublimeOne
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by SublimeOne on Apr 1, 10 11:36 AM
It's definitely more of an RPG.

You go from building to building opening barrels and crates and talking to people. Sometimes you fight (which you have no control over) and sometimes you are asked to do something.

All the crap (and it is crap) you pick up along the way can be sold for money so you can buy better crap and fight better. I guess.

Frankly it bored me. If you had control over your fights, and could move through the game field differently it would be fine. I kept looking for a defined set of goals to accomplish but mostly you just wander around.

So having wandered for almost 45 mins, I wandered over here to say I'm wandering over to the next game. This one is definitely not for me.

GloomySunday
Guppy
Guppy
167 Posts

[Post New]by GloomySunday on Apr 1, 10 12:32 PM
When I saw the simple graphics and started to play, I assumed that I would quickly be bored. I continued not being overly impressed for the first half hour or so. But then the story actually picked up and I was curious what would happen next. The next half hour went by way too quickly. So far it is all extremely simple, but that doesn't harm the enjoyment at all. A surprisingly entertaining game. I just bought a game yesterday so I will wait until I have a credit again, but this one is definitely on my buy list.

So far it is all very easy - searching barrels and crates, following yellow footsteps on the way to the next mission, fighting all but does itself, even though you need to watch for the right moments to strike or to take your healing potion. There is not much wondering what to do next and so far it was mostly follow instructions, go to some place and do what ever you're told to do there, without much chance to change the story. So for the hard-boiled adventure fan, this might not be challenging enough. But it's lovely to relax and, as I wrote, the story unfolds nicely. Oh, and the background music is beautiful!

[Post New]by mrspockfan on Apr 1, 10 5:34 PM
I started playing the game in January and haven't stopped yet. I love this game. I completed the game and achievements, and then started a new game and made different choices that gives you different outcomes. The dialogue is very funny, the cannons actually fire, you get to defend your honor, rescue distressed ladies, bakers, seamstresses and jewelers, who will reward you handsomely. You can play cards with the musketeers, tennis with Porthos and embark on quests for the queen and others. I especially like going into the homes and buildings, searching the barrels and crates for the money that you need to buy better clothing, etc. The really funny part is the most of the homeowners don't mind at all and are actually quite pleasant, even the monk.

The game has great graphic details and the characters are true to the story. The movement of D'Artagnan's hair when he rides, the sound of the horse's hoof on the cobblestones, the sound of the flowing river, traveling between France and England, the change in music as the scene changes, the comments made by all the people, and the artistry is just brilliant. This is an amazing game and the creators who also made Tasty Planet did a great job that intrigues the player. Kudos.

vonniefaye
Herring
Herring
325 Posts

[Post New]by vonniefaye on Apr 1, 10 5:48 PM
Yes, this is definately a cute game. Like some of the others said it is like an RPG. I get so tired of HOG games. BF seems to be really stuck on those. This is a fresh way to get my game playing itch scratched without getting stressed or frustrated by too much going on or too little instructions. I bought the game after the hour demo. even tho I didn't have a credit. I get a kick out of being able to just waltz into someone's house, raid their barrels and chests...why, I even got to chat with the King and Queen! I recommend it to anyone who just wants to wile away a few hours having a good time. Yes, you do wonder around alot. I would like to be able to move faster, as I am an impatient sort, but all in all it is just a treat.

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Apr 1, 10 8:34 PM
Mrspockfan explained the game pretty well, so no need for me to re-invent the wheel on saying the same thing. I did enjoy the game, and cannot wait until the next episode to see how the story ends (if it ever does). I found myself laughing out loud a few times due to the funny dialogue. When I finished the game however, I was dismayed to find I only completed close to 70% of the side quests! I did not remember to look for those, or at least realize which were the 'main' quests vs. the 'side' quests, but apparently I played some of them automatically. In order to complete them now, it says I would have to begin the game again under a new player name, which I don't feel like doing now... drats... oh well, maybe another time. I don't mind replaying a game, but not so soon after finishing it. I definately will though, because I would like to be able to finish all side quests in order to play the bonus round.

One thing I found comical like everyone else, was being able to raid homes without questioning or anger from the residence. Only once, while raiding the barrels in the castle did a someone ask if I was going to steal the kings belongings?, but then replied 'have a nice day' (or something like that) LOL

All and all, IMO, a cute game. Now if I could just win that tennis game! No matter how fast I was, or skilled in positioning, I couldn't beat the guy!

Edited on 04/01/2010 at 8:59:57 PM PST

hendicky
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by hendicky on Apr 2, 10 9:02 AM
Ihave been playing BFG for some years,mainly H.O. This one took me by surprise. I have never known the free 60 mins go so fast! Had to buy it,yesterday, and am absolutely hooked.I too love the music, the dialogue,and really everything about it. So simple, yet so addictive. Have forwarded the game to my daughter,as I know she will love this. It reminds me of the old games, like Sid Meiers Pirates, and that game made many a late night!! Congrats to all who designed this.

[Post New]by mrspockfan on Apr 2, 10 3:23 PM
lilTweet7,

You do not have to start a new game to complete the side quests. You can continue playing the existing game, traveling and talking to people to activate the quest. There is a list of all the side quest on the developers site, if you get stuck.

Vonniefaye,

If you play the tennis game and win against 10 opponents, you can get faster shoes. If you have enough money, you can also buy better boots that will let you walk faster.

Edited on 04/02/2010 at 3:23:44 PM PST

robbm
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

[Post New]by robbm on Apr 2, 10 11:55 PM
Thanks for the feedback and comments everyone. This sounds like my sort of game, an RPG that is not too difficult so I am trialling now and am pretty sure that I will buy.

I am pleased that BFG is offering some diversity with games, recently RPG's such as Millenium Take me Higher, Cute Knight Kingdom and now this. Way to go.

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Apr 3, 10 3:53 PM
Dling this one to try. I'm not very good at RPGs, but this one sounds like a good one for a beginner. It doesn't sound too daunting at all. And if it's funny, too?! Such a deal! Will report my findings as a very inexperienced RPG player.

ETA: Okay - I liked it! It's different from what I usually play, but it is fun! Maybe this will teach me a bit about RPGs.

Edited on 04/03/2010 at 5:44:03 PM PST

ahsten75
Minnow
Minnow
215 Posts

[Post New]by ahsten75 on Apr 3, 10 6:32 PM
I just finished playing this game for the 1st time and am ready to play it again since I didn't finish all the side quests.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was entertaining, fun and not too difficult for an RPG neophyte like me. mrspockfan said it all... Great game!

Slite
Minnow
Minnow
212 Posts

[Post New]by Slite on Apr 4, 10 10:17 AM
What a cool little game! Like so many folks, the demo ended while I still thought there was 15 minutes or so left. Can those who've finished estimate about how long the game lasted? Thanks.

hendicky
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by hendicky on Apr 4, 10 10:43 AM
Finished this game quite quickly, but that was because I didnt do all you can. This time round, I decided to better my horse, so went to Paris, burgled everyone over and over again til I got enough to buy a decent horse. Then went back and bought it, slaying bandits on the way which put up my meters quite a bit. So, it can be as short or as long as you want really.Bit like "how deep is a hole". Great fun .

heidid
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by heidid on Apr 5, 10 1:30 PM
I have finished the game, and am running through it a second time, so it certainly has replay value (especially to find all those side quests). It is not a difficult game, but light and entertaining, and a nice change from some of the more intense RPGs out there. The music is one of the best features of the game, actually.

My biggest complaint is that if you check the developer's website (Dingo Games) it is immediately apparent that what we have here is only half the game. So when do we get the second half, and why did they split it up when it was not originally released that way? It seems a very sneaky way of getting us to pay twice as much as we would otherwise. For me, this is not the same as when Amaranth Games split up the most recent Aveyond game (which was never released all together and was intended from the beginning to be a series).

[Post New]by shawnt63 on Apr 5, 10 4:33 PM
Heidid - I feel the same, seems like they are not being up front at all. I bought the game thinking I was getting the whole shebang not just half the game. Frustrating because I really enjoy this game!

[Post New]by msmaileann on Apr 5, 10 5:29 PM
Hmm just found out that this game was originally released as a whole then got broken down into 2. I think i would have preferred BF do the usual 19.99 thing rather than break it into 2 (even though I guess it will be chaper then 19.99 that way). Mostly because i'd like to play it all the way through and don't want to risk losing my "status".

Slite
Minnow
Minnow
212 Posts

[Post New]by Slite on Apr 5, 10 11:55 PM
Yup, totally agree with you guys. I understand that some types of games take more development time and that the value of a game cannot simply be represented by how long it lasts or how many MB it takes up but that doesn't mean they should misrepresent a game to us.

To be clear, I'm not feeling ripped off, but I do think it's really sketchy behavior to advertise a half of something as a whole. And yes, as the above poster mentioned, that was not the case with Aveyond.

Go to: