Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Yuletide Legends: The Brothers Claus Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Dec 15, 16 12:37 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 12/15/2016 at 5:52:07 AM PST

catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Yuletide Legends: The Brothers Claus Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Dec 15, 16 2:57 AM
BASED ON DEMO

I usually love Christmas games and there are so many great ones out there, so when Daily Magic (one of my favourite developers) jumped on board, I was so eager to try it. What a let down. There was not a single positive thing about it. This is definitely a Christmas nightmare that I won't be asking for these holidays.

Where to start with the story? After an eventless opening, it continued dull and lifeless, with no zest, no excitement, no twists, absolutely nothing. I made half an hour through the demo and not a single noteworthy thing happened. It was one of the most slow stories I've ever come across and really should have been a lot faster or at least had some sort of attraction to it. In addition it seemed so similar to all previous stories (evil man tries to destroy town) by this developer that the only thing distinguishing it was the Christmas theme. I tried as hard as I could to make it to the end of the demo but there was absolutely no reason to try. I was bored to tears by the time I finally quit and was actually prompted to write a review for the first time in nearly a year just to tell you all how bad it was. Really dull, boring story.

What usually wins me over with this developer is the gameplay, but that was a little off too. I usually love the HOS but they seemed so hum-drum and cookie cutter and not at all different. The puzzles were okay, nothing special. There was a little magical star feature you got to overcome dark magic, which was activated by a match 3 game. That was fun the first time but 3 times in half an hour makes it an overused chore. The adventure part of the game was very simple. It was easy, did not require much thinking, and there was not much to do in each area. I was pleased with the minimal amount of backtacking, and the jump map saves even more time. Overall, though, quite dull gameplay that brings nothing new to the table.

The graphics of the game were probably the best part. They used a lot of bright colours perfectly suited to the Christmas theme. Scenes were clear and with just the right amount of brightness, so good job.

CE OR SE?
I personally recommend neither, but if you enjoy this game, I fully recommend the SE. The CE bonus content is not enough to warrant a CE purchase.

Overall, this was such a dull and lifeless game with nothing positive to write about. There are so many better Christmas games out there that I wouldn't bother with this one.

Edited on 12/15/2016 at 2:57:25 AM PST

bradalex
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Yuletide Legends: The Brothers Claus Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by bradalex on Dec 15, 16 4:30 AM
I think the above view is a little harsh, but I agree that it is a boring game. Possibly playable with a group of , say , 5 year olds, who I think would love the bright colours and not be phased by the lack of necessity to think!
I do love a game that is not full of violence and sinister going ons, but this is definitely not the one for me! However, if you like it , then enjoy.

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Dec 15, 16 5:52 AM
Hello everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Yuletide Legends: The Brothers Claus Collector's Edition here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Yuletide Legends: The Brothers Claus Collector's Edition.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBellerophon

Zork1
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by Zork1 on Dec 15, 16 7:19 AM
The Brothers Claus might get better as it goes along, but I was asleep after 20 minutes. What a disappointment. Eagerly awaiting a great Christmas game this year, but finally just reinstalled the Nutcracker.

Edited on 12/15/2016 at 10:38:42 AM PST

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Dec 15, 16 8:53 AM
Wasn't impressed when I did the Beta on this game. It's slow moving, with a rather silly story premise. But, the colors are lively, the music is OK, there are some morphs, and it's better than no game to play at all, since my last purchase (Mystery Trackers) doesn't work, so I guess I'll get it as a replacement. However, as a rating I can only give it

Foxy57
Squid
Squid
74 Posts

[Post New]by Foxy57 on Dec 15, 16 11:38 AM
Definately a kids game, nothing to my liking. Did not even finished the demo. Try it and see for yourself ( sigh )

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Dec 15, 16 1:43 PM
I am not a kid but i did enjoy the story line graphics was awesome anjd to me the game is a buy..please give the game a chance i was not bored at all the game kept you buy..
I had only a few minutes left..
I recommend this game

mamajay
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,222 Posts

[Post New]by mamajay on Dec 15, 16 4:47 PM
I'm with Lovely62

I liked the beta and I still like it now it has been released. So I bought it

Yes, some of Valka's antics are a little silly, but this is a Christmas game - aren't some things meant to be a little bit silly?

And compared with some of the awful clangers released this year, I don't think it is really that bad.

But that's just my opinion. Try it for yourself, and then you can make up your own mind about the game

Cheers,

Jen

tejasgal
Manatee
Manatee
4,062 Posts

[Post New]by tejasgal on Dec 15, 16 4:48 PM
Based on Demo:
Kids will like it. I liked it.
How many times can you say you saw Santa and Mrs Claus looking so cosmopolitan?
Beautiful graphics
Even though the puzzles are nothing new and the varied HOS are not unique, this is still a nice game.
The only reason I won't buy today is personal budget. But I will get the SE, because I want to see how it plays out.
Give it a try with an open, holiday mindset.

Spoiler:
The only thing I didn't care for was how many times I had to play the match 3 game to make the Magic Star work

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Dec 15, 16 9:23 PM
I look forward to new Christmas-themed games every year so I was looking to love this. Happily, although perhaps I'm a little to old to be fallin' in love, I knew we were meant to be together! The graphics are wonderfully vivid and Christmas-y, as well they should be.

Conveniently, I'm a Match-3 player, so the "chain" method of completing the M-3 to charge the Magic Star was no big deal to me. It goes quickly and seems perfectly forgiving if one happens to make a less than stellar move.

There are morphing puzzle pieces and little sparkly things that somehow are the Characters you are collecting. I particularly enjoyed the HOS. They are highly interactive. Then there are the story type that look like cutouts. Not overly fond of those as a rule, but these were not unpleasant. There are some games tending toward arcade type, such as the snowballs to hit the bad guy.

I earned a few achievements during the demo, relaxed, and enjoyed myself. As to whether or not it is CE worthy, maybe not to some. But I want it for Christmas ... not a month or so from now when the SE would come out, so please BFG bring on a truly half price sale (off club prices) for CE's, real soon please.

Edited on 12/16/2016 at 12:00:20 PM PST

kgustavson
Clownfish
Clownfish
630 Posts

[Post New]by kgustavson on Dec 16, 16 12:41 AM
I've only played the demo so far, but I really enjoyed this. There are so many little special extras and really nice cut-scene graphics where you least expect it that I was enchanted. Granted the puzzles are so far rather simple and some HOS repeat (which makes me say grrrrr) but so many nice touches off-set these things for me that I will be adding this one to my collection.

Happy Holiday Season Fishies!

sadeyes0722
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by sadeyes0722 on Dec 16, 16 2:08 AM
I enjoyed the demo. it seems like a great game. sadly I cannot buy it until next month due to finances. :-( can't wait to play the whole game. Merry Christmas all. :-)

[Post New]by memphis836 on Dec 16, 16 11:19 AM
I was ready to like this new Christmas game, but it really was so boring, that I just gave up and deleted the demo before finishing. A "bad" brother of Santa Claus out to destroy Christmas was just too silly. Lots of dark smoke and very easy puzzles. This will probably play well for children, but way too lame for seasoned Fishies. I don't recommend this game.

mrm2006
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

[Post New]by mrm2006 on Dec 16, 16 12:02 PM
Hello Everyone!

My notes from playing the beta read .... Yuletide Legends: The Brothers Claus (luv a xmas story ... fun until the crashing probs)

I've played most of the demo ... had to quit because a family member was getting on my every nerve ... but I enjoyed it.

Has anyone figured out ... or maybe just 'thought' ... that CHRISTMAS games aren't meant to be fast-moving (perhaps to savor the storyline?), that maybe HOGs and mini games weren't meant to be hard or stressful? That ghosts and missing people and the stress of the deeper games aren't exactly appropriate for a Christmas game? That, perhaps in the Spirit of Christmas, these games were meant to be slow, stress-free, enjoyable playtime taking our minds off the grief and sadness going on in the world? This is just me wondering.

This is a definite buy for me. Slow-moving and boring as it may be. Thanks, Devs, for giving me something nice to focus my mind on for a few hours.

For those coming along with me and the Claus Bros...... and for those looking for a more shoot em up and get the bad guy themes .....

ENJOY!

Edited on 12/16/2016 at 12:06:33 PM PST

bwake47
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by bwake47 on Dec 17, 16 7:52 AM
MRM206 wrote:
Has anyone figured out ... or maybe just 'thought' ... that CHRISTMAS games aren't meant to be fast-moving (perhaps to savor the story line?), that maybe HOGs and mini games weren't meant to be hard or stressful? That ghosts and missing people and the stress of the deeper games aren't exactly appropriate for a Christmas game? That, perhaps in the Spirit of Christmas, these games were meant to be slow, stress-free, enjoyable playtime taking our minds off the grief and sadness going on in the world? This is just me wondering.

I have to agree. Christmas themes are suppose to be enjoyed with the season. This is the season of kindness, love, and joy. I'll solve the crimes after the season.

As for me, I always look forward to Christmas games and enjoy each and every one. I like the idea of Santa having an evil brother we have to combat to save Christmas. I plan on purchasing this fun game with today's great sale.

Merry Christmas Everyone!

nextgengranny
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by nextgengranny on Dec 17, 16 8:22 AM
So, I just submitted a review last night stating that I would've purchased this game already, except that I couldn't afford to w/o a sale...& guess what I woke up to? This game looks to be exactly what I've been looking for & not finding, as it looks perfect for my 8 yr. old granddaughter & I to play together. Based on what I've seen so far, there are things she'll be able to do by herself, but also things she'll either need help w/ or won't attempt at all at this point, which means (a) we'll both have things to do, & (b) this is a game she can grow into. In my review, I referred to the delicate balance required to craft a truly "all ages" game, & this is the first Christmas-themed game I've demoed that I believe truly achieves that balance. Needless to say, I'm downloading it as I write this, & I couldn't be happier.

dollyflower
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,373 Posts

[Post New]by dollyflower on Dec 23, 16 9:40 AM
Beautiful Christmas game!! I did not find it a bit boring and challenge level was above a child's in my opinion. "To each his own." A 5 game.

Edited on 12/23/2016 at 9:43:23 AM PST

gamenast
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by gamenast on Dec 23, 16 3:07 PM
There is not much to recommend in this game, as other reviewers have already stated. I didn't dislike it, but I didn't enjoy it very much either. I am ALWAYS disappointed in games that don't let you go back and find elements you missed the first time: morphing objects, collectibles, and such. This game offered no help to let you know that a morphing object was in the scene either (something else I appreciate).

The bonus chapter was extremely short and not worth the price of a CE.

Go to: