GaPeach1981
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,588 Posts

Boring!!

[Post New]by GaPeach1981 on Apr 1, 10 8:55 PM
could have been an awesome game, but the constant searching for sticks, berries, and rocks (clay, ore, whatever) became very repetitious and tedious. Just not enough action for me I guess. Hopefully another great game is coming tomorrow!

shasta24
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
472 Posts

Re:Boring!!

[Post New]by shasta24 on Jul 17, 10 10:24 AM
I Vote Settlement:Colussus "Game of the Year"!

Sorry, GaPeach, it's not the TM game you were looking for.
Suggest you read before you buy!

Settlement:Colossus is a game to behold, enjoyed and played over & over again.
Read the reviews in the Forum. Then, you decide.

Kaliarii
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by Kaliarii on Sep 5, 10 5:57 PM
Ga - I demoed this game when it first came out and only managed to get 30 mins through. I could not STAND how the gameplay worked. Collecting twigs, berries, and mushrooms, then going back, "researching" and going out to gather more of the same isn't my idea of "relaxing.," it's my definition of dull.

Frankly, I probably would not have come here to review, but I've seen the developers' snarky comments toward those who didn't like the game enough. To be brutally honest (which is how I hope my customers would be, were I a developer,) I only got 30 mins through before I had a major urge to take a nap. The game was over-simplified, and while yes, the pictures were lovely, and the music ok, I was bored.

I enjoy TMs, and I enjoy relaxing games, but if the game isn't going to make me WORK, I would like some form of challenge, please. Make me think, sweat a bit, puzzle, contemplate, or something. Keep me interested in more than the pretty pictures. I don't play games to shut down, I play them to wind down. That doesn't mean I want to fall asleep while playing, or that I want to feel like I've wasted time I couldn't get back by demoing your game.

And please, for the love of all things fishy, stop with the shameless advertising. I get it. You're proud of your game. I'm sure it took a lot of work, and you should be proud. Like I said, pretty pictures, ok music. But aspire to be better. You can't please us all, but rather than being obnoxious about it, you could actually TRY. The work speaks for itself. Be confident in it and let people tell you what they really think. Then YOU can decide where you need to improve on. Please remember, no matter how great you think you are, there is always room for improvement.

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Sep 7, 10 5:07 PM
GA--You are correct. This game is indeed boring. And as far as Time Management games go, well, lets just say it's like comparing today's computers to the original Sperry Univac.

If you want a really great time management game, try Royal Envoy. They entire feel of the game is different. The game play is fluid and the graphics are outstanding. There is no going to different tabs to upgrade and perform necessary functions. It's all on the same screent. Even My Kingdom For The Princess flows better than this game, and it's much older.

Don't let the harsh words from the developer make you doubt yourself. You are in the majority. There is something inherently wrong when a developer has to vote their own game "Game of the Year".

Edited on 09/07/2010 at 5:08:27 PM PST

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Sep 8, 10 7:34 AM
This is not a Time Management game at all. It's a Resource Management game.

memawclay2
Salmon
Salmon
2,712 Posts

[Post New]by memawclay2 on Sep 8, 10 8:57 AM
I don't find this game boring at all. It is one of the better crafted multi-genre offerings out to date. I find it very relaxing after a strenuous bout of P vs Z Endless Night Time Survival.....now that's a contender for Top 10 Games For All Time !!

shasta24
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
472 Posts

[Post New]by shasta24 on Oct 8, 10 4:48 AM
memawclay2 wrote: I don't find this game boring at all. It is one of the better crafted multi-genre offerings out to date. I find it very relaxing after a strenuous bout of P vs Z Endless Night Time Survival.....now that's a contender for Top 10 Games For All Time !!

What's P vs Z Endless Night TIme Survival??? Acronymn for something in life or a game I haven't played???

Also, what'd you think is up with these fish who have negative comments about the developers of Settlement: Colossus (i.e., supposedly promoting their own game)? I've never seen any promotion by the game development or marketing team, whoever they are. But now that I've read these comments, I'll go back to the game, get the names and, hopefully, have them respond here.

Note: I am a little fish in the big pond who simply tried this game, liked it, bought it, played it and put my thoughts out there as a great game for other fish to try.

memawclay2
Salmon
Salmon
2,712 Posts

[Post New]by memawclay2 on Oct 8, 10 5:39 AM
Bless you Shasta24, I take it you don't own Plants vs Zombies ? Take a break from Settlement someday and try it out....the Endless Survival boards are finger breaking, brain busting, nerve wracking killers. You will be so glad to re-open Settlement to wind down afterwards.

[Post New]by xander32839 on Mar 4, 12 4:29 PM
I just wanted to add my own two cents to this forum. Yes, this is a slower-paced game that many of the frantic TM masters will find boring. Personally, it is one of my top 10 favorite games. I love the relaxed gameplay, the beautiful scenes, and the variety of actions.

If you don't give the game a fair chance, you may get bored finding sticks and berries at the beginning. However, as you progress in technologies, you'll be searching for logs, wood planks, mushrooms, cheese, wine, etc. The scenes you search will alternate so you will not always be searching identical scenes or looking for the same items. For example, the lake has sticks, clay, logs, gold, mushrooms, and berries - does your village need wood or is it short on food? Maybe you need gold or clay to produce jewelry or pottery. It may be simple in the HOG sense, but the strategy makes it more challenging.

The HOG scenes are not static. The water flows, reeds blow in the wind, there may be rain and lightning. Yet these movements are not too distracting. They are somewhat interactive, too - if you click on frogs, they jump.

It may be a 'love it or hate it' game, but my advice is to try it for yourself. Don't let the negative comments deter you - make your own decision after giving it a (full) trial.

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Mar 4, 12 4:45 PM
Hey Xander--Amazing that you could "dig" this up after 15 months! But it is a game well worth reinvigorating after that long!

I think it's the best Resource Management game to come along. It combines Strategy with Building with Hidden Object gamesmanship. And it's long! No "blood-pressure-increasing" timers, no "Dash" white-knuckled gameplay.

Good of you to dust this one off, Xander. Your post just might get some more folks enthused!

Regards, elldee

[Post New]by xander32839 on Mar 7, 12 1:33 PM
What do you mean "dig up"?!?

I play these games all the time! LOL. I am totally hooked on the gameplay of all the Spiderweb Software games. I spend more time playing them than the hundreds from BFG.

I agree with your comments - I can only take so much of the farming, cooking, clicking of the 'popular' games. I truly enjoy them, but I have to be 'in the mood' for them.

Avernum 4 (and the other 5 games in the series), all 5 of the Geneforge series, and the newest Avadon: The Black Fortress are my 'fallback' games. I'm counting the days until they release the newest Avernum in April 2012.

One point to note (for newbies to the game): Although the games are turn-based for combat and for most actions, the world doesn't stop when you walk away from your pc for a moment. You might come back to find that a wandering patrol or monster has found you.

One of the greatest points of the game: Your choices and actions in the game determine your character's path. If you attack a shopkeeper, the entire town or region could become your sworn enemy. If you steal something, they might hunt you down. Your responses during dialogues will change your character's reputation - some new areas may open up to you (as friendly), while others become hostile. For this reason, their games are EXCELLENT for replay!

Yaelle
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,317 Posts

[Post New]by Yaelle on Jan 11, 14 10:01 PM
old post, I know but hey.
I am halfway thru the demo & am seriously considering buying this. I just want to make sure there are a lot of puzzles first. Buuuut

I saw one of you mentioned P V Z. THat game is SO freakin great I cant even believe it. It just.... I cant...I cant! LOL I have mentioned dozens of times at this point that every.member.of . my. family plays Plants Vs Zombies. In fact, its the only non-video game-video game (you know...like on a Nintendo platform or whatever) that so many of us, spanning across 5 decades play. Now THAT says something. Funny thing is, I ignored it for awhile bec. I thought it was some kind of a zombie fighting game. Oh yeah. If you are reading this.... you cant go better than Plants Vs Zombies, especially for a. replayability and b. dozens & dozens of hours of play.

Anyway.....settlement colossus. LOL. I likey! So far pretty darn fun.

Go to: