bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Comments and Reviews for My Life Story

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Apr 2, 10 1:04 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of My Life Story? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Hope to hear from you!

bfgFlounder

mountfalcon
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

Re:Comments and Reviews for My Life Story

[Post New]by mountfalcon on Apr 2, 10 1:41 AM
After about half and hour, I find I'm really enjoying this - lots of decisions to make, but without a conventional timer, so it's like a gentle board game. It seems to have good replay potential as well - if i'm still having fun at the end of the hour, I think I'll add it to my collection of games which are simple but enjoyable.

TerryMann
Shark
Shark
10,717 Posts

[Post New]by TerryMann on Apr 2, 10 1:59 AM
Good for you !!! I am glad you enjoyed it, have a good time!!! TMann

[Post New]by flutterby_dee on Apr 2, 10 2:22 AM
I quite enjoyed this one, too. It's a little slow to start, and the graphics are certainly nothing special, but I like building up my character. There are many different decisions to make, and the bonuses, in the form of life cards, keep things interesting too.

[Post New]by Earytha on Apr 2, 10 2:35 AM
I loved it! I'm always on the look out for games like this (life sims) and finally there is one that I can buy!

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Apr 2, 10 2:42 AM
I agree with flutterby_dee and mountfalcon and would recommend to play the demo to its end - slow start, I was about to leave the game, cos what there was to do seemed so unexciting. Then it became more interesting, when seeing a progress and understanding the goals and mechanisms in the game.
No real timer, neither a building game IMO, except for looking for an apartment also, lol - I'm not a real TM-gamer, so it's prolly nothing for those who love the really fast-paced, highly multi-tasking games, but you still have to keep a good balance between things, and there were still lots of upgrades to earn and tasks to fulfill on the horizon at the end of the demo.

[Post New]by bakagaijin78 on Apr 2, 10 4:43 AM
After only playing 20 minutes I know I'll be using a credit on this one.

It's quite different from other TM games available on BF, but it is very similar to an old game I used to play all the time: Jones in the Fast Lane. Did anyone else here ever play that one?

It's pretty much the same concept, except in "jones" you get to compete against another character. I wish this game had that option too, because it gives you more of a drive to get your education / money / job status up to meet your goals.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Apr 2, 10 5:24 AM
The game is very slow at the beginning but gets better after a while. Many decisions to make and good replay value in my opinion. Will buy it!

Edited on 05/05/2010 at 1:07:29 PM PST

eddyatwork
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by eddyatwork on Apr 2, 10 5:27 AM
Overall recommendation: Try before you buy.

This is definitely a remake of Jones in the Fast Lane.

I love these types of games in general but I have a special fondness for life simulations. Be warned, this is not a coffee break game that you can complete in ten minutes. The graphics aren't that great but in a game like this you really don't need them. The sounds aren't exceptional either. The game is replayable though which is key. Also, some of the commentary from the characters is really funny. I especially love Sgt. Pain at the gym.

For a beginner, I'd recommend getting the cheap apartment as soon as possible simply because you get your car back so you don't waste so much time walking. Mom's a jerk for taking your car from you.

TerryMann
Shark
Shark
10,717 Posts

[Post New]by TerryMann on Apr 2, 10 5:56 AM
Eisteepfirsich wrote:No, not a game for me, I don`t like it. But I am happy for all the other fishies, how are happy about it.
I did not like it myself, I really felt as though I missed something, it seemed as though everyone liked it except me. I even went back and played it for a few more minutes, but no luck. I was glad to hear you liked Lamp of Aladdin, I thought it was a cute M3 game. Take Care TMann

TerryMann
Shark
Shark
10,717 Posts

[Post New]by TerryMann on Apr 2, 10 5:57 AM
eddyatwork wrote:Overall recommendation: Try before you buy.

This is definitely a remake of Jones in the Fast Lane.

I love these types of games in general but I have a special fondness for life simulations. Be warned, this is not a coffee break game that you can complete in ten minutes. The graphics aren't that great but in a game like this you really don't need them. The sounds aren't exceptional either. The game is replayable though which is key. Also, some of the commentary from the characters is really funny. I especially love Sgt. Pain at the gym.

For a beginner, I'd recommend getting the cheap apartment as soon as possible simply because you get your car back so you don't waste so much time walking. Mom's a jerk for taking your car from you.
She was a jerk!!!! LOL!!!! TMann

b00kworm
Clownfish
Clownfish
912 Posts

[Post New]by b00kworm on Apr 2, 10 6:23 AM
I will definitely use a game credit from last month's punch card on this one. Only wish I had the codes already.
I spent almost the complete hour playing, despite the fact that I usually decide a lot earlier.

I never had the chance to play "Jones in the Fast Lane", but I really like this simulation, especially as the 'board' and the cards give it a bit of a "board game" feel.

[Post New]by libby_elswood on Apr 2, 10 9:28 AM
I really like this game and am tempted to even buy it before the punch card reward - BUT can anyone tell me if the board expands in time or do you stick with the same grid? I can see that it may get a little tedious with just the beginning places to visit!

Nice to see some TM games coming finally!

[Post New]by Stymnus on Apr 2, 10 10:01 AM
libby_elswood wrote:I really like this game and am tempted to even buy it before the punch card reward - BUT can anyone tell me if the board expands in time or do you stick with the same grid? I can see that it may get a little tedious with just the beginning places to visit!

I have not seen the grid expand, BUT -- you can do new things at each venue. For instance, you eventually can do things like play in the playplace at McGreasy's, watch a different movie at the theater, even get invited to a special room at the dance club.

I'm not QUITE bored just yet.

[Post New]by libby_elswood on Apr 2, 10 10:04 AM
Stymnus wrote:
libby_elswood wrote:I really like this game and am tempted to even buy it before the punch card reward - BUT can anyone tell me if the board expands in time or do you stick with the same grid? I can see that it may get a little tedious with just the beginning places to visit!

I have not seen the grid expand, BUT -- you can do new things at each venue. For instance, you eventually can do things like play in the playplace at McGreasy's, watch a different movie at the theater, even get invited to a special room at the dance club.

I'm not QUITE bored just yet.

Ooooh see now I want to know what the special room is!

[Post New]by haileesmother on Apr 2, 10 8:04 PM
i never been into sims too much, gave it a try but....i came to the forums and i noticed people who like the same games i like r loving this game....i tried it for 23 minutes and im buying it right now! i love the cards i already got strategies brewin' thumbs up for this game, i think im going to try to find this other game "Jones in the fast lane" oh wont be happy to see me fall in love with a new genre they'll prolly offer me stock in the company

GoveGirl
Herring
Herring
309 Posts

[Post New]by GoveGirl on Apr 2, 10 10:30 PM
For those that like this style of game - give "Kudos" which is here at Big Fish a try.

I have "Kudos 2" (which isn't here) but I imagine the games would be similar.

[Post New]by flutterby_dee on Apr 2, 10 10:39 PM
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions on other similar titles to try out - I just might have to spend the rest of the weekend seeing which one I like best!

mountfalcon
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by mountfalcon on Apr 3, 10 12:25 AM
For those who want to know how the game goes on - I've been playing for hours, and still haven't finished - the game expands as you go on, because of the extra time needed to finish education courses/job experience. The board doesn't change, because the locations include more and more alternative activities as you go on. I'm still enjoying it a lot - a simple concept, well-executed and beautifully paced for people like me (I especially like the weekend breaks) who find that TMs involving constant dashing about start to become a chore - and all the time spent coping with the timer means you miss a lot of what's actually going on in the scene. I'm already looking forward to playing it again to try out different options (a lot of decisions are irreversible), but there still seems to be a long way to go to the finish first time around. If you like pot-hunting, you can try for lots of trophies, but achieving some of them means making problems for yourself and progression more difficult. One of best recent offerings as far as I'm concerned - I hope the developer expands the idea (but not too much - a lot of good games have had disastrous sequels due to being 'too clever'.

steffwhitt
Minnow
Minnow
215 Posts

[Post New]by steffwhitt on Apr 3, 10 4:35 AM
ive enjoyed this game,been playing it for hours and i still havnt finished.

Go to: