Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for Cursed here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Jan 2, 17 12:35 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 01/02/2017 at 5:08:07 AM PST

nextgengranny
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Cursed here.

[Post New]by nextgengranny on Jan 2, 17 3:37 AM
This isn't precisely a review, as I only played the demo for about 30 minutes, & I only stuck w/ it that long because the first mini-game I encountered had no skip button & no reset button that I could see, & I wanted to see if that was an aberration. It wasn't. I found no skip or reset in the second mini-game, either. The 2 HO scenes I encountered were lists that incorporated moderate interactions of the use-brush-to-remove-cobwebs variety, as well as a small mini-game; each had a dozen or so items to find, but only listed 4 at a time, something I'm not keen on. Gameplay, to the point that I played, consisted primarily of find this thing to open that. Definitely not a buy for me, but I will say that the second mini-game was one I don't remember seeing before, so if not being able to skip/reset isn't a deal breaker for you, that aspect of the game may have some potential. Oops, almost forgot: The mini-games had no instructions that I could see, & I don't think the hint was available in the HO scenes. I could see what needed to be done in the mini-games I'd encountered so far, but I'm not inclined to bank on that continuing to be the case, particularly w/ no option to skip. EDIT: Just saw a comment elsewhere that indicates I may be wrong about the skip function; maybe someone else can expand on that, as I already uninstalled the game.

Edited on 01/02/2017 at 4:10:09 AM PST

addictedtofish
Guppy
Guppy
139 Posts

[Post New]by addictedtofish on Jan 2, 17 3:42 AM
This is very old school type of game, however there is a map which can transport you to wherever you want to go.
I'm sort of enjoying it and am interested in how the story finishes - only problem is I'm not sure of the length of the game.
Demo doesn't stop at a specific point so not sure how far into the game I am and it may be that there's not much left - just got into the cemetery so if anyone has bought and completed, I'd appreciate an idea of how much is left.

ysbrand
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by ysbrand on Jan 2, 17 4:03 AM
I lasted all of 7 mins. Maybe good for a beginner but definitely not for me.

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Jan 2, 17 5:08 AM
Hello everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Cursed here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Cursed.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBellerophon

hakuna
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by hakuna on Jan 2, 17 8:22 AM
Bought this, and rather enjoying it.
I like the old school style of game better than the 'bells and whistles' type we get so often now.
The story is intriguing and the mini-games difficult enough to keep me entertained. There is a skip button, but not obvious, so I have persevered a bit more than I often would

I suspect it's a game I will play again
Only complaint - there's no way to mute the voice overs - so I'm having to play without sound - can't bear voice overs

Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Jan 2, 17 8:45 AM
@hakuna

If I don't like the music or voices I just mute my computer and can then play in peace and quiet.

[Post New]by OregonPandora on Jan 2, 17 8:46 AM
addictedtofish wrote:This is very old school type of game, however there is a map which can transport you to wherever you want to go.
I'm sort of enjoying it and am interested in how the story finishes - only problem is I'm not sure of the length of the game.
Demo doesn't stop at a specific point so not sure how far into the game I am and it may be that there's not much left - just got into the cemetery so if anyone has bought and completed, I'd appreciate an idea of how much is left.

I bought it at another site a couple months ago. I do not remember it being short at all and I enjoyed the game.

campfire29
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

[Post New]by campfire29 on Jan 2, 17 11:24 AM
nextgengranny wrote:This isn't precisely a review, as I only played the demo for about 30 minutes, & I only stuck w/ it that long because the first mini-game I encountered had no skip button & no reset button that I could see, & I wanted to see if that was an aberration. It wasn't. I found no skip or reset in the second mini-game, either. The 2 HO scenes I encountered were lists that incorporated moderate interactions of the use-brush-to-remove-cobwebs variety, as well as a small mini-game; each had a dozen or so items to find, but only listed 4 at a time, something I'm not keen on. Gameplay, to the point that I played, consisted primarily of find this thing to open that. Definitely not a buy for me, but I will say that the second mini-game was one I don't remember seeing before, so if not being able to skip/reset isn't a deal breaker for you, that aspect of the game may have some potential. Oops, almost forgot: The mini-games had no instructions that I could see, & I don't think the hint was available in the HO scenes. I could see what needed to be done in the mini-games I'd encountered so far, but I'm not inclined to bank on that continuing to be the case, particularly w/ no option to skip. EDIT: Just saw a comment elsewhere that indicates I may be wrong about the skip function; maybe someone else can expand on that, as I already uninstalled the game.

campfire29
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

[Post New]by campfire29 on Jan 2, 17 11:26 AM
The skip button is located on the upper right corner, hope this helps!

didersham
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
409 Posts

[Post New]by didersham on Jan 2, 17 11:54 AM
I for one am enjoying this game. No hand holding. No sparkles, even for the HOS scenes. There is not that many HOS. Adventure with a lot of places to roam. It is great to finally be able to play a challenging game that I have not played yet. Thank you for the offer of this game Big Fish!

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Jan 2, 17 12:24 PM

Now, where's that Cursed key?

Your fiancé Albert has gone off to try to cash in on what is an obvious "get rich quick" scheme. Time passes, but you hear no word from him. You decide to investigate yourself and arrive at a large but dilapidated, creepy estate. No Albert in sight. What's happened?

This developer's (JetDog) games generally have an older feel to them and tend to be on the creepy side - no pink fairies or cheery elves here. They don't seem to be trying to imitate the bigger name developers. I beta-tested this game some time ago along with their earlier game, Frankenstein: Master of Death, which I purchased. Both games have the same user interface: large eyes mark active areas, moving the cursor to the upper part of the screen reveals the menus (they can be locked on the lower left), two basic difficulty settings, and a map that uses a scrolling, flow chart style.

The story is revealed through a series of spooky characters and there is a fair number of one sided conversations. The voices were good, and fit the characters appearance. Clicking just about anywhere in a scene will bring up a related message which adds to the creepiness. Music is slow and sad, and fits well with the games appearance.

During the demo the puzzles were of moderate to easy difficulty. The most difficult was three handed clock where the challenge was to put the hands in set positions using three controls which each adjusted two hands at once. The hidden object scenes were less interesting for me, they were very easy with only moderate interaction needed. Objects were large and clear. There were about the same number of hidden objects vs. puzzles.

Advancing in the game involves locks - lots and lots of locks. Just about everything is locked by something. Keys generally consist of distinctly shaped objects rather than the standard key. At times it was difficult to keep track of all the different shapes at once. I recall this was the case in the aforementioned Frankenstein game as well. That game was also a fairly long one.

I enjoyed the trial and recommend the game - especially if you liked Frankenstein: Master of Death or any other creepy style game. Happy and blessed New Year to all, even if it begins with Cursed.

[Post New]by jilouise1123 on Jan 2, 17 6:04 PM
I loved it.....creepy and interesting. If you like a little jolt of surprise while playing,,,this is for you. Pretty easy playing. The skip key is in the upper right, but you have to make sure your inventory is locked.

A good buy!!!!

[Post New]by splat49 on Jan 2, 17 10:28 PM
Best game I've played in a very long time. Every element has a simple strong intelligence behind it. The puzzles were variations on familiar ones, often with no instructions, but the task was apparent to someone with a bit of experience. The game assumes you're willing to think about what your'e doing.

The HOPs made me look at the objects, and interact with them in smart ways.

There was nothing unnecessary here, and not a lot of hopping around for its own sake.

I bought it, and it's a keeper. I will probably let it rest long enough to forget how to do everything and then play it again using another profile.

cme550
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by cme550 on Jan 3, 17 2:16 PM
I'm enjoying this game. I like the old school feel to it, and I like the creepiness of it. The voice acting is pretty bad, but the game, I think, is decent.

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Jan 3, 17 7:23 PM
I really enjoyed this game! It has some of the best animations. The story line really held my interest. I understand that the game play...seemed old fashion...but I really think this should have been released as a CE. It was really that good. I would have paid CE prices .

I finished the game and I was so sad when it ended. It's been awhile since I've played a game...I didn't want to end. The ending was good and the entire game! I highly recommend this game.

The game did close on me a couple of times. But, I just restarted and kept on playing where I was kicked off. I don't know why this happened. But I got through it with NO other bugs happening.

Give this game a try...you might be surprised and really enjoy it as much as I and others did.

Warning to those who don't like dark themed games.

Happy Healthy Peaceful New Year to All!
Lisa

[Post New]by BearCreekStables on Jan 3, 17 10:03 PM
I thought the game was great. The graphics fit the theme of the story" creepy" with a couple of unexpected items. I agree with didersham and spat49 that you get to use your mind and think. My opinion is the games are getting too easy. In the past say you needed a code number to open a safe. You used to write down the number at home. Now you have to click on the paper with the numbers, than you have to click to put the numbers on the safe, just to put in 4 numbers. I can memorize 4 numbers (well most of the time anyway) Those that play a lot know what I mean.

Back to the game, enjoyed very much. There is a very good hint system. No not always directions to play the games but you can work it through easy enough. Hope to see a Cursed #2. Thanks.

Edited on 01/03/2017 at 10:04:36 PM PST

Furryfury
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by Furryfury on Jan 4, 17 4:44 AM
I am enjoying this game, and I agree with many of the previous positive reviews. I do like the storyline (though the little girl is annoying). One thing I don't think anyone else mentioned that is happening is that there is lag time--for example, a lag between when you click on an object in the inventory and when it actually grabs it, or lag when you click on something in the game to see or travel to, or lag time between the actors' voices and the text on the screen.

I haven't seen lag time for a while in these games, so it surprised me. It isn't SO bad that it is unplayable, but it's somewhat frustrating to have to grab an inventory item twice because I moved my cursor too quickly before it registered that I wanted to use that inventory item. And it gets quite difficult to understand the actors' voices because the text on the screen does not catch up with their speech, so I really had to ignore either the voice or the text.

Despite this, I still liked the game quite a bit. It was definitely worth my punch coupon, and I would have paid for it too!

Penguin29
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by Penguin29 on Jan 4, 17 7:59 AM
Just finished... took me about 3.5 hrs to play. Very enjoyable game.

[Post New]by oceanjonesn2 on Jan 8, 17 8:59 PM
game is too slow to move around and now on a puzzle where you have to press in a certain order trading from screen to screen it tells me I am wrong. Frustratingly slow when it shouldn't be and the hint is disabled in some places where it would be nice to have it. Unnecessarily difficult to navigate. I would not recommend this game

Go to: