This may belong with reviews but it is not really a review so much as
a reaction to a specific feature of this game and the one before it
beginning the series.

We are each time given three places to go to follow up on our
investigation,in the event of course it is the sort of investigation that
could happen only in a hidden object game but let that be. We are
asked to choose in what order to do these things but IT MAKES NO
DIFFERENCE WHICH WE CHOOSE.

Do other players find this unsatisfactlory?
the problem for me is that it makes obvvious that there is no effect
of events at A on B or C . of course in reality in a game with no
choice the flow is the same straight line and that is tiresome in its
own way when one thinks oh pfui I still have three more worlds to
go thorough to save my fiancee or whatever it is. but at least one can
have the illusion that the events build on each other...

here we are given a great part of the games in which the events
do not even appear to affect what follows...

In one game one could say well it is an attempt to do something
imaginative even if it doesnt work very well, but now in two games it
seems to me a sign of a formula and a very bad one,to this player,
being accepted and I am afraid used as a template for any future
games in the series.

I hope not.

burf90
Flounder
Flounder
2,236 Posts

Re:A Problem with the structure of the Vermillion Watch Games

[Post New]by burf90 on Jan 11, 17 10:00 AM
I actually really like this series and the fact that I have a choice on which area to do first. Does it make a difference in the long run? No. But if it did, you wouldn't be assured of solving the crime at the end and most players would find that really annoying. I don't expect the same thing from a casual game that I expect from adventure games or RPGs.

FWIW, Kandinsky, it sounds to me like you might really be an RPG player at heart. I don't know if you've played any true RPGs, but if you want choices and consequences for making them, then RPG is your genre. True adventure games often offer this type of play, too. Just like with casual games, some do it better than others, but most RPGs and adventure games let you explore freely and solve what you want when you want. Often some things can be skipped and you can still finish the game. The endings may change depending on the choices you made during the game. Frequently, your character can die, if you make the wrong choices, though you usually have the option to "rewind" to the point just before you made the fatal choice and try again, hopefully with a better outcome.

If you're interested, I can list some good RPGs and true adventure games that BFG offers. They take getting used to, if you haven't played them before, but they are very rewarding because you do feel more like you're in control and actually doing something useful to solve the problem/crime.

kandinsky
Guppy
Guppy
149 Posts

adventure games

[Post New]by kandinsky on Jan 11, 17 10:24 AM
Thank you burf90. Well the Adam Wolfe games are pretty much exactly what I like best. I do not really have the time that rpgs proper take or in a sense the interest--I am happy to fill in with imagination and accept the smoke and mirrors of choice that is not a real choice if there is some smoke and mirrors(though precisely in vermillion watch the trick is too obvious). I would be happy for bfg games you recommend for my part I loved animism:the book of emissaries, the drawn games,black viper:sophia's fate,occultus:mediterranian cabal.

Bartsister
Clownfish
Clownfish
682 Posts

[Post New]by Bartsister on Jan 11, 17 11:46 AM
My two cents

I totally hear what you're saying. On the bright side, at least it is somewhat better than Mad Head's Deck of Fate! That game killed me on the fake choice factor. With the VW games you get to pick the order you want to do things and the game makes that happen even if the end results are the same. With that Deck of Fates, the game makes you pick a card but it really doesn't matter which of the physical cards you choose, it will always be the card that is the next chapter in the Strategy Guide. For that, I would rather just have had the bad guy take a card out of the deck and sling it at me with an ominous laugh and a "Here is your fate!" kind of thing.

You didn't find Adam Wolfe choreographed and really easy challenge-wise? I thought it was entertaining enough story-wise, but Adam Wolfe is definitely no Gabriel Knight and I hope one of these days, Mad Head will make me work to get through one of their games.

I will look for a particular game here that has a serious choice. It controversial when it came out, but I can't think of the name of it right now. Will have to do some research.

ETA: This was the game I was thinking about: Enchantia: Wrath of the Phoenix Queen

Edited on 01/11/2017 at 12:32:16 PM PST

burf90
Flounder
Flounder
2,236 Posts

adventure games

[Post New]by burf90 on Jan 11, 17 4:36 PM
kandinsky wrote:Thank you burf90. Well the Adam Wolfe games are pretty much exactly what I like best. I do not really have the time that rpgs proper take or in a sense the interest--I am happy to fill in with imagination and accept the smoke and mirrors of choice that is not a real choice if there is some smoke and mirrors(though precisely in vermillion watch the trick is too obvious). I would be happy for bfg games you recommend for my part I loved animism:the book of emissaries, the drawn games,black viper:sophia's fate,occultus:mediterranian cabal.

Well, one of the best that BFG has is Facility 47. It's a true adventure game, so you can do almost anything in any order, though eventually you do have to accomplish everything to reach the end. At the end, you have a choice to make with two different endings, based on what you choose. It is not an easy game - the puzzles will really make your grey cells work - but it's a really good one.

Dreamscapes: The Sandman, Parallels Cross, and Black Rainbow, Namariel Legends: Iron Lord are other good adventure games at BFG.

Any of the Nancy Drew games are really excellent, too. And BFG does have a few of my favorite "classic" adventure games: Syberia, Paradise, Voyage, Return to Mysterious Island 1 & 2 (I don't think they have the original, though), Atlantis Evolution, Riddles of Egypt, Sinking Island, and a bunch of the Sherlock Holmes games (Hound of the Baskervilles, SH vs. Arsene Lupin, SH vs. Jack the Ripper, The Mystery of the Persian Carpet).

If you like horror: Scratches (different endings possible, depending on what you do in the game) and Rhiannon: Curse of the Four Branches.

If you like H.P. Lovecraft, these are IHOGs, but with lots of adventure elements: Mystery Stories 3: Mountains of Madness, Ghost Towns: The Cats of Ulthar, Haunted Hotel: Charles Dexter Ward.

There are others, too, that I haven't played yet, so I can't recommend them.

[Post New]by MiaNBear on Jan 15, 17 6:19 PM
Problem with the structure?!?!....I almost didnt purchase this game due to the fact it wont even keep my profile which forces me to start a new player for the 3rd time. Does anyone know about that structure?

burf90
Flounder
Flounder
2,236 Posts

[Post New]by burf90 on Jan 15, 17 9:54 PM
MiaNBear wrote:Problem with the structure?!?!....I almost didnt purchase this game due to the fact it wont even keep my profile which forces me to start a new player for the 3rd time. Does anyone know about that structure?

Hi MiaNBear. Maybe you've already tried these things, but just in case...

Did you know there was a new version released a few days ago? You might try uninstalling/reinstalling. That will get you the new version.

If that doesn't do it, then take a look at the tech issues thread. Jorie10 was having the same problem and she was able to solve it. Here's the thread:
http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/887888.page

Look at her second post. Regarding her caveat, I suspect it might be a wise idea to start a new profile after trying all of the above. Good luck.

Go to: