Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for The Wisbey Mystery here.

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Jan 13, 17 12:36 AM
A thread for your reviews.

Edited on 01/13/2017 at 5:14:47 AM PST

bfgBellerophon
Marlin
Marlin
9,130 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for The Wisbey Mystery here.

[Post New]by bfgBellerophon on Jan 13, 17 5:17 AM
Hello everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on The Wisbey Mystery here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on The Wisbey Mystery.

2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our Forum Rules and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.

3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments. If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.

4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

When posting reviews please be courteous and refrain from posting spoilers. If in the event that a spoiler is needed, please remember to post with white text and a warning. .

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM one of our Moderators.

bfgBellerophon

nanafraser
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

[Post New]by nanafraser on Jan 13, 17 7:52 AM
Not bad for SE purchase w/ free coupon! I think the trial gives a good idea of what game is like! Try it you may like it!

GoodOldDad
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by GoodOldDad on Jan 13, 17 9:39 AM
Tried it and was so bored I couldn't finish the demo. Same old clean rusty locks, find keys, find handles, find puzzle pieces, find food for creature guarding something. The hidden object scenes were simple word lists. I did not encounter any mini games. The map showed actions available where there weren't any. The written english was abysmal - so bad it was almost hilarious - but for me, that alone is enough to abandon a game. The voice acting was wooden, with odd inflections and was not well synchronized with the mouth movements. I have nothing good to say about this game.

I wouldn't play it if it was free.

[Post New]by AverageSizeFish on Jan 13, 17 10:06 AM
The game appears to be pretty old (faded grainy graphics). That wouldn't bother me, but there is a profound lack of imagination or innovation here. The story is a same old kind of story, and the "adventure" component borrows every over-used and underwhelming task you've ever seen in a HOPA game. There are very few hidden object scenes, and they are very easy. There are no puzzles or mini-games. There is no reason to suffer through the game's clunky interface and dull graphics if gameplay and story are equally as poor.

lynwil
Guppy
Guppy
131 Posts

[Post New]by lynwil on Jan 13, 17 3:26 PM
Possibly a new, and foreign, dev as the spelling wasn't great but that really doesn't detract from the game. Quite old school with no real bells and whistles but relaxing to play, only gripe is a very skittish cursor - doesn't quite get where it's meant to go. Will probably buy at some stage with a coupon.

Penguin29
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by Penguin29 on Jan 13, 17 4:07 PM
Very laid back game...I'm enjoying it. Have to get past the VERY bad English. Good game to buy with one of my "free" coupons. Have fun.

judy76073
Clownfish
Clownfish
531 Posts

[Post New]by judy76073 on Jan 13, 17 9:57 PM
Penguin29 wrote:Very laid back game...I'm enjoying it. Have to get past the VERY bad English. Good game to buy with one of my "free" coupons. Have fun.

yes, quite agree - enjoyed it - was a good game (to buy with a PCC) and to enjoy on a day where it was nasty cold here (minus 40 Celsius with the windchill) - very good day to stay indoors and play games !

MaryEl
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by MaryEl on Jan 17, 17 3:16 PM
Finished the game and must say I did enjoy it. Very relaxing and not difficult. No walkthrough was needed. Hope the developer continues to create games.

Bartsister
Clownfish
Clownfish
710 Posts

[Post New]by Bartsister on Jan 22, 17 12:58 PM
Based on completed game

Another lovely little indie surprise game for me. I liked this one. These developers were involved in the Mountain Trap series, so if you liked those, you would probably like this one.

Graphics were interesting - kind of a cross between hand drawn and photo-realistic. Hard to for me to explain technically, but it is why the graphics aren't Elephant/Eipix-style crisp. But I thought they were nice, colors varied, and like most indie games, gives the player a different feeling than playing the big devs games.

Voiceovers were not the best, but I forgive those kinds of things in indie games. This game made up for it in amusing (and sometimes startling) sound effects. I liked how you fixed a gramophone (nothing new), but this one played (in that room) as long you wanted it to, even if you leave the room and come back. The pop-up stayed active the rest of the game and you could click on it to turn on/off the gramophone if you wished.

It is more on the adventure end of HOPA. The game world is large with lots to do in each room, which I absolutely love. And there is a map for those that like to use them. You do get a huge house to roam around in for the game. There are some straightforward HOPs, but not a ton of them. No interactive items - just lists. I like that. Sometimes devs are trying so hard to be creative that the actual HOP experience gets lost a bit. There were a few puzzles but again not tons of them.

Length for me was about 2 - 2 1/2 hours with no hints or skips on the harder mode. The harder level has sparkles on the HOPs but that was it.

I recommend this game for people that like to play indie games that look and feel different than the big guys and players that tend to like the adventure part of HOPA more. I enjoyed the Wisbey Mystery and was happy to have spent the time on it. I hope I can see some more games from this developer soon!

[Post New]by dkclark1947 on Jan 31, 17 12:25 PM
This is not a good game at all. Finished the demo thought ok got a free game coming so when ahead a got it. Go back to the game .....inventory gone the injured guy not where he was. Thing the I had already done was back like a bad dream. Tape on the floor but the toy box was already taped !! It's a good thing I didn't pay for this game.

layzeedaisy
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by layzeedaisy on Mar 18, 17 3:40 PM

Not a bad game - but not a good one either.

As everyone else has said, the spoken word had a very odd, almost robotic, inflection and the English was appalling. If devs make games for the English speaking market, they really ought to get someone to check the dialogue.

HOPS were few and very simplistic, puzzles were rare. Lots of travelling to and fro as usual and nothing really different to do, very much the same as all the other games out there but not done nearly as well.

yowzasma
Clownfish
Clownfish
547 Posts

[Post New]by yowzasma on Apr 29, 17 8:53 PM
I like indie games from devs I'm not familiar with, especially when it is from a different culture It is a good way to use my PCC's
After completing this surprisingly good little game I did a search on the developer and can see why there were words used differently I hope they make another one and the word difference did not matter to me.
The story-line, mini games ( I skipped a few), game play and music were all acceptable. Some of the voice-overs sounded like they were text to voice and I found it entirely acceptable as I hazard to guess that it is not always easy or affordable to hire an interpreter
I want to thank Big Fish for giving us the opportunity to play a game from one of the indies
I did like this game and found the laid back game-play enjoyable.

I'm giving this little surprise a out of a 5 on my personal enjoy-ability scale.

Played on my desktop PC running Windows 10 with a few minor problems that were overcome by backing all the way out and then returning.

gjs98
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
3 Posts

Please post your REVIEWS for The Wisbey Mystery here.

[Post New]by gjs98 on Aug 5, 17 7:57 AM
Daxadillion wrote:A thread for your reviews.

I'm stuck in the living room, the yard, the porch and garage. Any suggestions?

[Post New]by rallyali66 on Jan 18, 18 12:48 PM
Im trying to play this on my macbook pro and it just doesn't work properly at all. Ive tried to use the glove to remove the light bulb and the glove just drops out of my hand and goes back to the inventory - very frustrating! Grrrr! gonna try to reinstall it but has anyone else had this problem?

cathybobcat
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by cathybobcat on Jan 22, 18 9:29 PM
I was shocked to see that this game was only one year old. It seemed quite a bit older than that. Only a 25 minute demo for me before it ended. How generous. Game mechanics were terrible...slow and klunky cursor. Had to X out of a scene in right hand corner. List hos were ok (only 2 that I came across) and graphics created a relaxing atmosphere to be in, but the game play was terrible. It was so hard to maneuver the cursor.

Everything needed something...locks....keys...handles...on and on which got boring. Hint was helpful...very few puzzles which can be skipped. This was a quiet game which I liked, but wasn't all that impressed with the dynamics of it and it really left much to be desired. I may have used a PCC on it, but it was just too difficult and slow to maneuver.

[Post New]by ShellyAH8 on Jan 28, 18 9:03 AM

Edited on 01/28/2018 at 9:05:51 AM PST

Go to: